I'm looking at going over Memorial Day weekend with a friend who stays at the Chelesa Pines Inn. (He's gay; I know it's gay. ) Is this area for 3-4

Dorocke

Senior Insider
I'm looking at going over Memorial Day weekend with a friend who stays at the Chelesa Pines Inn. (He's gay; I know it's gay. :eek: ) Is this area for 3-4 nights going to make me feel like a square peg and be too much to handle? I've only been to NYC once and stayed in Midtown/Bryant Park. I wouldn't mind experiencing SoHo, Tribeca, etc.

no.....go and have a blast...Soho and Tribeca are very near by...my daughter lived in Chelsea for a while and loved it..

and no square peg....by virtue of having lived in P Town for 8 years and still spending summers there I have more gay friends than most gay people!!..they are a hoot...a lot of fun....so go and have fun

you just wont get laid......LOL

Those two areas especially Tribeca have become quite chi chi and very family friendly. My sister in law lives doen there with hubby and 4 kids. Wonderful restaurants.

We had a great dinner at the Tribeca Grill a couple months ago and highly recommend it.

Have fun!

Mike R said:
no.....go and have a blast...Soho and Tribeca are very near by...my daughter lived in Chelsea for a while and loved it..

and no square peg....by virtue of having lived in P Town for 8 years and still spending summers there I have more gay friends than most gay people!!..they are a hoot...a lot of fun....so go and have fun

you just wont get laid......LOL

by a boy ....

Thanks guys. I hope to go. We'll see how wiped out I am from SBH. My friend loves to shop the designer boutiques. Last time he went, a few years ago, he said that he "budgeted himself" $10k for shopping- for clothes. I told him I'll be along to carry his bags and consult. lol

Be sure to stop for drinks at the new Standard Hotel....

The Standard opened soft a couple of weeks ago....
it's built right over the new Highline Park, which is a park (duh) created on the raised railbed of the old freight line that used to come down the west side of Manhattan....it should be open by the time you get here. Only other one like it is in Paris...

Highline Park, NYC

MP ain't gay...used to be all tranny hookers, but not for years...LOL...more trendy and touristy now, IMHO. The gay pop is now in w chelsea and hells kitchen, for the most part.

Lotsa fun stuff, apple store, stella mccartney, diane v furstenberg etc, etc. You'll cover it all in a day, so plan on other things to do while you're in NYC....

what dates will you be there?
hubby and i will be in nyc june 4-7. we're seeing chris botti at the beacon on friday night. if our dates overlap, how about a cocktail somewhere?

Missy, it would be May 22-26. :/

Thanks, Fred. I'll check out the Standard.

Wow, I looked at it! Way cool, and great rates right now. Maybe I can talk him into that place instead. The Chelsea Pines Inn is pretty cool too- not like what it sounds at all.

Looks like it- they advertise "special rates" for preview opening. I'd have to have a corner king!

Hmmm... maybe an open one, with only 3 sides of tiled wall? I'd go in for that bathtub! Where are you all staying?

i haven't booked our hotel yet. we're fans of the palace, but the rates have become astronomical. we also like the affinia dumont on 34th. my choosing a hotel in nyc is like booking a villa in sbh...i like to look at all of them before i commit!

I have a quick overnight in New York next week and a friend suggested Lulu's on Mulberry St. for dinner. Any reviews?
Thanks

I'd go to Angelos before Lulus..right down the street... a classic...or Il Cortile also on Mulberry

Di Nicos is good too
keep in mind the original first ever pizzeria, Lombardi's, is right there as well.and they are among the best for pizza..as good as Grimaldis by the Brookln Bridge and the original Rays

Mike R said:
I'd go to Angelos before Lulus..right down the street... a classic...or Il Cortile also on Mulberry

Di Nicos is good too
keep in mind the original first ever pizzeria, Lombardi's, is right there as well.and they are among the best for pizza..as good as Grimaldis by the Brookln Bridge and the original Rays

Da Nico was one of my favorite places when I was working in NYC. The enclosed garden out back was much more pleasant than sniffing exhaust fumes in the curbide tables that some opther restaurants offered.

I don't think that I ever ate at Angelos. The only other place that I ate at on Mulberry was on the other (odd) side of the street. I don't remember the name, but they put a bottle of red and a bottle of white on the table, and just started bringing course after course.