• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

I've always wondered if there's any hiking past the west end of Saline. Supposedly, there's a small beach between Saline and Gouveneur. Anyone know if

dlafreniere

SBH Member
Hike near Saline

I've always wondered if there's any hiking past the west end of Saline. Supposedly, there's a small beach between Saline and Gouveneur. Anyone know if it can be accessed by land?

Re: Hike near Saline

I've always wondered if there's any hiking past the west end of Saline. Supposedly, there's a small beach between Saline and Gouveneur. Anyone know if it can be accessed by land?

PM Didier- I believe she and her husband did it last week. Said it took 5 hours.

We tried to hike it without success. So we decided to swim it......and we are still alive. It was very rocky and not all that suitable for relaxation.
In hind sight not a good idea, but we burned a lot of calories!

Anse de Chauvette. I never found the trail. Roughed it instead through the shrubs and totally destroyed a pair of New Balance hikers on the rocks. Nice little cove but a bit trashed up. Maybe locals boat in and party?

As Andy said, PM didier. Didier and Diana have done it several times. One has to go through private property for access. Also Didier cuts the path with his machete.

There are some other strenuous hikes you could do if you're interested. I've lead friends on those hikes occasionally.

Thanks Tim and Andy! I PM'd didier for more info. I've done the obvious hikes on the island (Columbier, Natural Pool), but I'm always looking for a new adventure! I've been out around Toiny once long ago...may give it another shot.

Dave

Dave,

It is the toughest "hike" I ever dealt with on the isle. Well worth it. If you don't mind throwing caution to the winds. Really prickly cactus, razor sharp rocks, huge spider webs, high dropoffs on the Saline side and just one great morning jaunt. Took me about two hours.

I promised pix of that venture over a year ago. Never did find them. I used a film camera and can't find the prints or negatives. So much easier with digital and DVD backups these days.

I'd recommend long pants, sturdy shoes, water, camera and a phone.

Voosh/George

Thanks Tim and Andy! I PM'd didier for more info. I've done the obvious hikes on the island (Columbier, Natural Pool), but I'm always looking for a new adventure! I've been out around Toiny once long ago...may give it another shot.

Dave

Where is Natural Pool? I have not heard of that? I think we will give Toiny a go this year!

As you head west from Toiny on the "south beach" road (towards Gustavia), just before it turns right, there's a little parking area. Park and follow the trail. There's a little "dune" climb and the trail takes you there.

Thanks for the info! I am trying to picture the location and went to Google Maps to take a look. Is it the large pond behind Toiny? Or is it further down the coast road as it turns inland back into the island on the way to Saline? I am so excited to hear about everything we have missed. For example, the museum is a must!!

KJ,
533150759_f8a742644d.jpg

Wow +1 for technology :)!!! That is awesome (I need to install Google Earth at work - think they will let me ;-)?).
Thanks for the details and the friendliness of everyone on the board :).

you have to get permission from the owner of the property, but it is around 2 hours to get to the beach by way of the mountain. we usually go around 9:30 in the morning and then go for a swim after getting to chauvette beach, which is covered in beautiful blue stones. Only place on the island that i've found them. I have a friend in town that uses them in her jewelry store. after we get to the beach we will also have lunch there, and remember to take plenty of water. also a couple of old wells you need to keep a lookout for. they are very deep. takes another couple of hours to hike back via the cliffs, easier to come back that way than to start that way. there are some natural pools to swim in also on the way back. be careful as not to disturb the birds that are nesting in the cliffs, they are so beautiful, they are not used to many guests.

Do you scale the cliff at the end of Saline or access on the private land to the north on the dirt road? Is it obvious where to tread or is it bushwacking the whole way? Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to ask permission if I decide to venture across private land.

there is a road just before the salt ponds, on the right, you go around that road til it ends at a small case, and the hiking goes straight up from there.