• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Frugal Traveler: Packing the Right Credit Card

Right- I just got a notice from Citibank about the $3.00 charge for EVERY foreign transaction but the miles I get make up for it- opening a Citi checking account with certain direct deposits and bill pay got me 20,000 points on AA. There are pros and cons for every card.

Do most debit cards charge a transactional fee? I did just do an online Air Caraibes purchase in euros with debit and nothing additional showed up on my statement.

BankAmerica US Air VISA card still charges me only a 1% foreign currency transaction fee. Usage of the card helps me get preferred status with free upgrades on the airline, so it's worth the 1% fee.

I just got the USAir Visa card for the bonus miles...but my primary card is the BankAmericard.
I get 1.5 Worldpoints for every dollar spent. Worldpoints can be redeemed for cash, travel or merchandise. I use this card for everything, and always pay the balance in full, so I never pay interest. In 2008, I redeemed points for a total of $1250. Bank of America is paying me to use their card.

None of my cards have fees for foreign use except for
cash withdrawal from ATM. I would dump any card
that had fees.

Can you get a CC without fees from any of the European
or Asian banks operating in the US?