On our first night we ate at Aqua Bistro where we saw this very bright full moon over Coral Bay. The next morning in Maho Bay, I was startled to see

JoshA

Senior Insider
St. John trip

On our first night we ate at Aqua Bistro where we saw this very bright full moon over Coral Bay.

IMG_1901.JPG

The next morning in Maho Bay, I was startled to see a nurse shark swimming a foot below me so I followed him to his lair where he tried to hide.

IMG_4904.JPG

Each day was spent at a different beach like Denis Bay or Trunk Bay

IMG_1975.JPG

or Salomon Beach

IMG_2020.JPG

and we snorkeled at each one. Sights include a barracuda

IMG_5034.JPG

southern sting ray

IMG_5036.JPG

or octopus.

IMG_5038.JPG

One day we sailed out to Newfound Bay on the East End

IMG_2097.JPG

where we saw spotted eagle rays

IMG_5140.JPG

and made a snorkel stop at Flanagan's Island as well. I saw this turtle near Whistling Cay in Francis Bay.

IMG_5215.JPG

These donkeys

IMG_2183.JPG

were photographed on inauguration day for a new democratic president. We hiked to Brown Bay and also snorkled in Hansen's Bay on the East End that day. Two ladies came by excited after hearing Obama's inaugural address and told us all about it before hopping into the bay. Obamamania definitely infected the island. That night, at Skinny Legs, instead of sports, CNN was playing on the flat screen TVs. The special drink was bye-bye-Bushwhackers made with raspberry which we ordered with our burgers. The next day at Cinnamon Bay

IMG_2195.JPG

we saw more critters.

IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_5299.JPG

We were sorry to leave after such a beautiful visit.

IMG_2213.JPG

Re: St. John trip

Josh,
None of your images resolve for some reason. I can edit your message, copy the .jpg and display it in a new browser tab, but the

St. John trip: resize photos

On our first night we ate at Aqua Bistro where we saw this very bright full moon over Coral Bay.

IMG_1901.JPG

The next morning in Maho Bay, I was startled to see a nurse shark swimming a foot below me so I followed him to his lair where he tried to hide.

IMG_4904.JPG

Each day was spent at a different beach like Denis Bay or Trunk Bay

IMG_1975.JPG

or Salomon Beach

IMG_2020.JPG

and we snorkeled at each one. Sights include a barracuda

IMG_5034.JPG

southern sting ray

IMG_5036.JPG

or octopus.

IMG_5038.JPG

One day we sailed out to Newfound Bay on the East End

IMG_2097.JPG

where we saw spotted eagle rays

IMG_5140.JPG

and made a snorkel stop at Flanagan's Island as well. I saw this turtle near Whistling Cay in Francis Bay.

IMG_5215.JPG

These donkeys

IMG_2183.JPG

were photographed on inauguration day for a new democratic president. We hiked to Brown Bay and also snorkled in Hansen's Bay on the East End that day. Two ladies came by excited after hearing Obama's inaugural address and told us all about it before hopping into the bay. Obamamania definitely infected the island. That night, at Skinny Legs, instead of sports, CNN was playing on the flat screen TVs. The special drink was bye-bye-Bushwhackers made with raspberry which we ordered with our burgers. The next day at Cinnamon Bay

IMG_2195.JPG

we saw more critters.

IMG_5299.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

We were sorry to leave after such a beautiful visit.

IMG_2213.JPG

Wow Josh, great pics! Thanks for sharing. My husband loves to snorkel, if he sees these I might NEVER get to go back to SBH again!

Thanks, marybeth. Each Caribbean island is different and worth visiting for the variety. St. John and the Virgin Islands National Park is about the natural environment for me. It helps if you are a bit adventurous, go off the beaten path, and like to hike and snorkel. St. Barts is more about French culture and food for me. If snorkeling is high on your (or your husband's) list you should give STJ a try. No reason you can't get back to St. Barts. Yin and Yang.

Great photos, Josh. They took me right back to our trip last October, at least until Omar decided to pay a visit!

Thanks, Theresa. I forgot to mention our dining experiences. Your suggestion of Hinds was great. We had the 5 course tasting menu with the wine pairings. Big-city food preparation and plating. Walter Hinds must have been drinking the wine that night because we got 6 courses (and 6 glasses of wine). He came out later to chat. He is a real culinary talent on an island where this is rare. By far our best meal. We also had nice meals at Paradiso and Zozo's in Cruz Bay and Sweet Plantains and Shipwreck in Coral Bay.

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed Hinds. We also did the five course tasting menu with wine pairings. Each course was fabulous. It was a memorable meal.

yup...love St John...and Wendi said "tell me why we go to St Barts again ?" when she saw these pictures....LOL..the natural beauty is unsurpassed by few.....thanks for that Josh

yup...love St John...and Wendi said "tell me why we go to St Barts again ?" when she saw these pictures....LOL..the natural beauty is unsurpassed by few.....thanks for that Josh

Thanks, Miker. You always go to St. Barts because deep in your bones you are a frou-frou person who prefers white wine at Nikki to getting dirty hiking to a beach. ;-)

actually my answer to her was "because its French and you're French!"...to which she said..."please... just like me..its American French".......LOL

St John is probably where we will end up as home base when we do the tub for two .....a mooring in Cruz Bay is only $450 a month

Some of those folks in Coral Bay clearly didn't move even as the hurricane moved in.

After getting a look at the crew living there, I think you'd totally fit in Miker! LOL