Thread: I'm renting a bike for the trip next month to keep my kilometers up. Of course I'm concerned about the roads and traffic, so I'm looking for an expert opinion on the times to be in/out by and the rou

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2007 NJ Posts: 30

Cycling

I'm renting a bike for the trip next month to keep my kilometers up. Of course I'm concerned about the roads and traffic, so I'm looking for an expert opinion on the times to be in/out by and the routes. I'm thinking SJ-Lorient-Toiny-Lurin-Gustavia-SJ, and to be in the saddle by 6.30, 7 latest, back by 8.30. What would Tim do (WWTD)? Thanks.

Moderator Joined: Jun 2003 Vélo, Virginia Posts: 16,820

Re: Cycling

Jim,

Since there's probably very little general interest in this topic on the forum, I'll be glad to share my knowledge with you via PM's. My first question though is where are you renting the bike? I'll not go into route suggestions here except to say that climbing Camaruche from Lorient on a bike is a death wish due to the combination of bottleneck and blind intersection at the peak.
    The best moderation is the least moderation.

Let me know if you had any specific advice on the topic. I'm an Ironman triathlete and interested in getting in some mileage on either bike or run. I'm not sure if you have recommendation for run/cycling loops.

I'm arriving Feb 7 and departing Feb 15.

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2003 upstate new york Posts: 255

I have found the saline area a good place to run.
    Bprimomo@aol.com

if you want rainbows You have to put up with the rain

Seattle,

I've been cycling on St. Barth for 7 years or so and love doing it. Due to the traffic, hills, and terrible roads, there are some who think I have a death wish - not so. I expect, as a triathlete, you've got the legs needed for the hills, so that shouldn't be a problem. The challenge for you will be that you don't know the hundreds of crevices, potholes, etc. that can take down even an experienced rider.

As far as renting bikes is concerned, I have no knowledge. JimR told me he rented his bike through flysbh, and I hope he finds the equipment to be in good shape. He's scheduled to arrive the same day as you, so we can't get a report from him ahead of time on that topic. He further informed me that he's (wisely) bringing his own kit, pedals, shoes, helmet, etc. Whether you want to go to that trouble for a one week stay, only you can determine. Packing your running gear would take up a lot less space than packing bike gear. You're probably aware that there are no bicycle shops on the island.

I'll not go into recommended biking routes here, but PM me if you plan to pursue it. I cycle everywhere on the island except up Camaruche from Lorient side and up to the roundabout from Public side. Due to the traffic, cycling those two roads is definitely a death wish.

Running routes depend on whether you like dodging the traffic, but I expect you've been to St. Barth enough to know that. Sunday morning's traffic is so light that runners and walkers go everywhere without fear, and I saw dozens of them yesterday as I biked around the island. Other times of the week can be exciting at best.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,751

I have ridden with Tim on St. Barths and have the scars to prove it :-) Along with the rough roads, learning to keep the front wheel on the pavement on a 15 -20% grade is also a challenge. Tim has all the tips to include time of day and what to avoid -- Camaruche hill for one. What to enjoy -- the downhill from the Colombier road down past the airport. Maybe the only smooth surface on the island :-)
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

Mon ami,

I'm proud to say that you did, however, get right back on the two-wheeled horse despite your wounds!

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,929

Mon ami,

I'm proud to say that you did, however, get right back on the two-wheeled horse despite your wounds!
    Where are the photos? We have photos of everything else.

Andy

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,497

Mon ami,

Not anymore. You held your breath until one in particular was deleted.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,929

Mon ami,

Not anymore. You held your breath until one in particular was deleted.
    New photos not old ones.

Andy