in bounds avalanche article

Miker, I've got to tell you these avalanche posts bring me no joy. I'm not blaming you but I always worry about my son who skis with a beacon, avalanche pole and shovel. He's at Silverton as we speak. I'm always relieved when I get a text from him at the end of the day as I just did.

When I was at Steamboat, which doesn't really have avalanche terrain, one skier I shared a gondola with told me about several accidents where people suffocated by getting caught upside down in a tree well. That was something to think about as I skied the trees.

As Roseanne Roseannadanna said "It's always something."

I'm guessing you're not worrying about avalanches in NH.

no avalanches in NH...but I think the more steep gnarly terrain gets opened up in bounds in the name of a resort being better than the other resort, the more these little inbounds accidents are going to occur......I wish they would just leave the very dangerous difficult avalanche prone terrain to those who have the skill and the inclination to ski it, not service it with a lift, and leave the nice easy groomed stuff for the general public.....most of them can barely ski an intermediate trail in control.....its ridiculous...a friend of mine works in the ER here and he told me the entire week the ER was overcapacity with skiers and riders a with a 3-4 hour wait to get looked at....and meanwhile mountains are opening up lift serviced steeper and more difficult terrain every year...its crazy!

I totally hear you with worrying about your son.....my son was a very skilled but very courageous snowboarder and I worried about him too....but meanwhile he survived all the insane terrain he ever rode, and then gets killed by a freakin waterslide in an amusement park.....which is proof positive that it doesnt matter at all..when its up...its up