ArtsBeat | New York Times BlogDecember 17, 2008, 12:08 pmSnob City?By The New York TimesIn a Times article this week by Patrick Healy about some of th

JEK

Senior Insider
Is NYC Snob City? Is Fred a snob?

ArtsBeat | New York Times Blog
December 17, 2008, 12:08 pm
Snob City?
By The New York Times

In a Times article this week by Patrick Healy about some of the troubles Broadway theaters are facing amid the grim economy, Nancy Coyne, the chairwoman of the theater advertising agency Serino Coyne, tried to point out a silver lining to the cloud: There are a lot of new plays coming in the spring, she said

Re: Is NYC Snob City? Is Fred a snob?

C'mon, did I pick on Dennis when he was gushing over the road show production of "Jersey Boys"? No.

(I may have blown coffee out my nose choking, but I was silent)

Yeah, we're theatre snobs, and the disneyfication of Bway is an enduring tragedy...but we need the euros/dollars, so?? Just a PITA to navigate Times Sq, and I haven't even gotten to see the 'new' red glass steps on back of the TKTS booth.

We typically subscribe to a smaller theatre production company, see some off-bway stuff, some of which ultimately makes it to Bway.
No, so far no "Little Mermaid" or "Shrek the Musical" for me, altho we did take a kid we mentor to "Lion King" a couple of years ago...LOL

25405759.JPG

October 17, 2008
Atop the New TKTS Booth, Ruby-Red Stairs With a View of the Great White Way

By DAVID W. DUNLAP
The best seats on Broadway are now absolutely free.

After the longest out-of-town tryout in history, a new TKTS booth opened on Thursday in Duffy Square, eight years later and nine times costlier than originally estimated.

What the extra time and money bought, besides headaches and heartaches for the project

charmin-large.jpg

And, for all you tourists, open thru New Years Eve...I think they close early on NYE...wisely :

Charmin, the toilet-paper people, today opened their temporary promotion in Times Square, that suite of twenty neat-and-always-clean public restrooms, and, naturally, the Gothamist kids have photos, bless their panda-loving hearts. After a close examination of the pix, we're pleased to report that the stalls look as clean and homey as promised. (Remember that they're open from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily and that they're cleaned by an attendant after each use.) Finally, there's someplace other than the Crowne Plaza or the Marriott Marquis to add to our mental Rolodex of Times Square places to go when, well, we have to go.

C'mon, did I pick on Dennis when he was gushing over the road show production of "Jersey Boys"? No.

(I may have blown coffee out my nose choking, but I was silent)

The lead guy came from the Broadway production...but, whatever. Most of my pleasure from that evening came from the company I was with. Including bringing joy to my 75 year old MIL who never gets to see productions like this...but I don't expect you to understand bringing joy to others, Fred.

<<<Most of my pleasure from that evening came from the company I was with. Including bringing joy to my 75 year old MIL who never gets to see productions like this...but I don't expect you to understand bringing joy to others, Fred. >>>

Oh, stop. The remark was within the context of the "theatre snob" thread. I'm not THAT curmudgeonly....
I took my (now) 84 year old MIL to see Sinatra at Radio City many years ago...was the first time she'd seen him live....

[quote I'm not THAT curmudgeonly....

[/quote]

We already have one of those here. I'd use a different word for you...it's shorter.

<<I'd use a different word for you...it's shorter. >>

Not even a hint?

LOL

You guys are more fun than a day at the Kinessett!

Keep it up ~~^~/\~

Here's a little broadway update for ya...how MUCH freakin sushi does one have to eat to get mercury poisioning??

David Mamet got off the best line of the entire episode.

December 19, 2008
Piven Leaves Show Amid Concerns for His Health
By DAVE ITZKOFF
A real-life fish story has resulted in Jeremy Piven