Thread: Does this mean they will actually be functioning soon?Looks like the first hour is free then 2 euros for 2 hours, 4 euros for 3 hours, 8 euros for 4 hours. Monday-Saturday, 8-6; holidays excluded.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,761

Horodateurs back in the news

Does this mean they will actually be functioning soon?

Looks like the first hour is free then 2 euros for 2 hours, 4 euros for 3 hours, 8 euros for 4 hours.

Monday-Saturday, 8-6; holidays excluded.

The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

Moderator Joined: Jun 2003 Vélo, Virginia Posts: 16,820

Re: Horodateurs back in the news

Some merchants are fearing that the new system will drive customers away. By freeing up spaces in the main parking lot, I think it will have the opposite impact. One point on which we do agree is that there are just too many cars on St. Barth, and for that, noone is proposing any solutions.
    The best moderation is the least moderation.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2006 arlington, virginia Posts: 485

Charging for parking after an hour would seem to force the merchants themselves to have to park in "less convenient" places. Its always amazed me how there if often zero parking in Gustavia before anything opens.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 20,089

Tim,

The merchants who think that the meters will drive customers away are, in a word, nuts. Towards the end of my recent trip I had a hankering for a new tie from Hermes (perhaps I'm the one who is nuts). I went to Gustavia on three different mornings, and found no parking in the lots near Hermes, along the harbor by BNP, along the harbor by the anchor, or on any of the streets where I doubled back to complete (and repeat) the loop. Three times around that loop, and I said f$%k Hermes, and went home. Three days in a row.

You, if you choose, can be an excellent surveyor of the real problem. Ride your bike down there at 0-dark-30 on a day early in the week and see how many cars are in the parking lot. Do the same thing on a seocnd day and see how many cars are in the same place. Do it again on a third day.

While you are at it, ride by the Alamo lot in town, which is on Rue de la Bord du Mer, after BNP Paribas, after L

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2007 Detroit Posts: 13,152

What next?

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/w...-Children.html

BTW. If you Google or Yahoo "meter maids", there's some sob stories from these "public servants" who claim they are misunderstood and maliciously slandered. Nope, I'm not gonna go there.

Goodnight. All be well and keep a good supply of quarters handy.

(Oh, maybe "public servant" isn't the appropriate term - Chicago just sold all their meters to a private company for 75 years with a quadruple increase in "fares" starting next year. ... And the beat goes on...)
    Yeah, Yeah - IMHO

SBH Insider Joined: May 2005 Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 3,504

Some merchants are fearing that the new system will drive customers away. By freeing up spaces in the main parking lot, I think it will have the opposite impact. One point on which we do agree is that there are just too many cars on St. Barth, and for that, noone is proposing any solutions.
    I suppose a bus system for the island is out of the question???
    "Go to Heaven for the Climate or Hell for the Company"

I suppose a bus system for the island is out of the question???

Tried and apparently failed. Tim provided any update about a year go and the buses were sitting idle due to pressure from the taxi drivers.

Those buses were still sitting in the same position as of a couple of weeks ago. Too bad as it seemed to be a popular service, also one that took a lot of hitchhikers off the roads.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 NYC Posts: 17,992

Maybe they targeted the wrong audience for the buses...what about using them for an employee shuttle to a satellite lot? Kinda like at an airport?
    so the employees don't take up spaces that could be used by shoppers, but still don't have to hike 2 miles to their cars....

Tim, get Bruno on the case.

Then again, the Onion had a headline recently..."95% of Americans support Mass Transit for Other People"....
    Neutral and Witty.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2007 Detroit Posts: 13,152

Commonsense - a seemingly scarce commodity. A**holes - no shortage.
    Yeah, Yeah - IMHO

Fred,

It will be interesting to see what kind of enforcement is employed when and if the new horadateurs are put into service. Measures could range from warnings to vehicle impoundment. Creativity in future parking options will be totally dependent on how serious the COM gets about enforcing the new regulations. An unresolved issue is how the rental companies will deal with violations by their lessees. That should be amusing. :-)

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2004 virginia Posts: 6,890

Does anyone know if there's some kind of special arrangement for guests of the Sunset Hotel?
    www.stbartsphotos.com
    Facebook EMH-Photography

I'm guessing none as the idea is keep locals from hogging the spots long-term. If they start with the Sunset, then the shop keepers will want spots and then the fishmongers and then . . .