• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

The St. Barth money exchange is advertising $1.25. Could St. Barth be a relative bargain this winter?

tim

Euro = $1.25

The St. Barth money exchange is advertising $1.25. Could St. Barth be a relative bargain this winter?

Re: Euro = $1.25

key word being "relative"

and lets not forget all the wealth which has been extracted from the beautiful people via the stock market implosion....

time will tell...currently our season pass sales are up year to date, in a bad economy, which only happens when people decide to stay home and recreate closer to home

time will tell

Not for usit won't !!!
Our dollar just hit $1.61 today vs the Euro, ( it was $1.40 in the summer)and has fallen from par with the US$ in September to .77 today ! The lower oil goes, the lower our $ sinks. Oh for the good old days of $140/barrel !
This will be the most expensive winter for us in SBH in many years (in spite of the fact that the Cdn economy has remained relatively isolated from the mess below us)
Go figure !

The prices in St. Barth (and other places) seem to go up annually. A 10% increase in price will make a 10% "gain" in exchange rate meaningless.

Places like St. Barth are a bit difficult because they're not exactly in the middle of euro-economy. Or if the flights and the villa are priced in USD, that's quite a big piece of the total costs.

We went to NYC for a summer break & shopping trip in June and despite the euro-favourable USD-EUR rate, it didn't feel exactly cheap or even inexpensive. But our recent trip to South Africa did feel like a bargain.

I would rather have the market back at 14,000 and forget the euro. The crash hurt far worse.

We live just south of the US-Canadian border, and in the good old days, when $1 US=$1.50 Canadian, we could afford to go up to the Eastern Townships in Quebec for dinner. Looks like the good old days may be coming back again!

Still I am with Andy below, I would trade 14,000 for a nice dinner in Quebec anyday.

I do my best SBH traveling in down markets and when the kids are in college. After losing all that money, and paying $45,000 tuition, who cares about a few thousand for paradise and the memories???

recreate as in recreation.....LOL

and I'm with Andy...give me a 10 thousand + Dow and whatever exchange there is good or bad....i can make up for what I pay in St Barts on a bad exchange with the increased business my shops see with European tourists....