The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

phil62

Senior Insider
Boy am I glad I decided to take this literary thriller to St Barths. Yes it is long-570 pages, but I had no trouble falling into the story and was sad to see it end. It is tale about a mute boy who raises and trains dogs-Sawtelles, a made up breed. Yet it is so much more than "a boy and his dog"-it is well written and has themes that have been around since the Bible and Shakespeare. I heartily recommend it. Amy

Oprah is rarely wrong when it comes to books.......dont know how she does it..but it works...and this book is selling well in our shop and we normally don't sell hardcovers that well because we don't discount them at all as long as they are on a best seller list

and just as soon as it becomes available....we will become a Kindle dealer....so no worries..we are staying ahead of the curve.....I can assure you, haven spoken to many many customers about this to get a feel for it, a higher percentage still like the look and feel of a book and love having bookshelves at home full of books.....and if in the end Kindle puts the Ma Pa bookstores out of business??..Wendi will finally get her wish and use the square footage to expand our toy/hobby shop which, in all honesty, is what pays the bills around here anyway....LOL

Don't remodel just yet as I don't think the adoption rate will put much a dent in paper books in the near future. Also don't look for a dealership -- I think Amazon will be the only source to buy. I do think the Kindle is a green unit -- saves lots of trees which become paper which become trash. Also, in an area that is near and dear to your heart, it is extremely carry-on friendly -- one thin device instead of half a dozen bulky and heavy books.

Re: Kindle

JEK -

Oprah may cause a bump in the Kindle adoption rate. An Oprah-bump will be significant for Kindle, but probably won't be noticed by most booksellers - unless there are a lot more Oprah fans out there willing to spend $300+ on a gadget than I think that there are.

Kindle has a place in my life, but so does paper and ink. I'm further out there as far as Kindle is concerned than most people, but real books will continue to be delivered to me each week. I'm finding e-books to be a combination of a replacement, a supplement, and an extension to my normal reading.

Replacement - I'm actually spending more on e-books than I am on paper. I'm downloading more hardcovers to Kindle (at $9.99 per) rather than waiting for them to come out in paperback and buying them at $7.99 (less a 3 for the price of 4 discount) at Amazon.

Supplement and Extension - I'm currently using manybooks.net as a source for Kindle material, in addition to Amazon. Amazon has current material, but can't provide me with, for example, the 1766 publication "Directions for Navigating on Part of the South Coast of Newfoundland, with a Chart Thereof, Including the Islands of St. Peter's and Miquelon" by James Cook. In addition to the esoteric stuff, I'm finding a lot of more mainstream out-of-copyright material on manybooks. I'm thinking about re-reading some Alexandre Dumas, Mark Twain, Edgar Allan Poe, Rudyard Kipling, and others (my downloading eyes are likley larger than my reading eyes, but not my SD card) on my next SBH trip.

Have you by chance found a good searchable English-French Dictionary anywhere?