Attendant: Welcome aboard A la Carte Air, sir. May I see your ticket?Passenger: Sure.Attendant: You're in seat 12B. That will be $5, please!Passenger:

GayleR

Senior Insider
New Airline Rules

Attendant: Welcome aboard A la Carte Air, sir. May I see your ticket?

Passenger: Sure.

Attendant: You're in seat 12B. That will be $5, please!

Passenger: What for?

Attendant: For telling you where to sit.

Passenger: But I already knew where to sit.

Attendant: Nevertheless, we are now charging a seat locator fee of $5.
It's the airline's new policy.

Passenger: That's the craziest thing I ever heard. I won't pay it.

Attendant: Sir, do you want a seat on this flight,< /font> or not?

Passenger: Yes, yes. All right, I'll pay. But the airline is going to
hear about this.

Attendant: Thank you. My goodness, your carry-on bag looks heavy.
Would you like me to stow it in the overhead compartment for you?

Passenger: That would be swell, thanks.

Attendant: No problem. Up we go, and done! That will be $10, please.

Passenger: What?

Attendant: The airline now charges a $10 carry-on assistance fee.

Passenger: This is extortion. I won't stand for it.

Attendant: Actually, you're right, you can't stand. You need to sit,
and fasten your seat belt. We're about to push back from the gate.
But, first I need that $10.

Passenger: No way!

Attendant: Sir, if you don't comply, I will be forced to call the air
marshal. And you really don't want me to do that.

Passenger: Why not? Is he going to shoot me?

Attendant: No, but there's a $50 air-marshal hailing fee.

Passenger: Oh, all right, here, take the $10. I can't believe this.

Attendant: Thank you for your cooperation, sir. Is there anything
else I can do for you?

Passenger: Yes. It's stuffy in here, and my overhead fan doesn't seem
to work. Can you fix it?

Attendant: Your overhead fan is not broken, sir. Just insert two
quarters into the overhead coin slot for the first five minutes.

Passenger: The airline is charging me for cabin air?

Attendant: Of course not, sir. Stagnant cabin air is provided free of
charge. It's the circulating air that costs 50 cents.< br>
Passenger: I don't have any quarters. Can you make change for a
dollar?

Attendant: Certainly, sir! Here you go!

Passenger: But you've given me only three quarters for my dollar.

Attendant: Yes, there's a change making fee of 25 cents.

Passenger: For cryin' out loud. All I have left is a lousy quarter?
What can I do with this?

Attendant: Hang onto it. You'll need it later for the lavatory.

Re: New Airline Rules

And I can see Tim Conway giggling in the seat just in front of this action!

I flew Southwest on Friday (Chicago to Phoenix and back in a day).
I was actually amazed at the service.
The staff was very nice, no cost for (non-alcohol) drinks, and as many snacka as we could eat.
It beats the heck out of United.

Actually, I thought it was really funny. But it might not be far off. Air Canada announced last week that they are removing life vests from all their planes due to the cost of maintaining them, and because they haven't ever been used in recent memory. (Whose memory they're relying on, I am not sure). But my theory is that if a plane of theirs goes down over water, they will likely have the vests available but charge passengers for them. Oh yes, "exact change please, we're in a hurry."

This will age me, but I remember when I was little that air and train travel were special events. I was dressed in my best clothes, mary janes and I even recall little white gloves. Service was wonderful and attentive, schedules were on time, food was palatable and our patronage really was appreciated. Alas, everything changes.

hitting the water at 150 - 400 mph pretty much insures that no one will need a life vest......even if you are fortunate enough to survive the crash, if the plane hits the water at any angle at all...when you depart the plane you will have a nice dark, deep, cold, highly pressurized environment waiting for you......all the life vest will do is send you to the top so fast, if they find you before the fish do, the sudden decompression will have put your stomach into your mouth effectively choking you to death...you should see what a hooked fish looks like when it is hauled up from the deep rapidly ..it aint pretty......I dont believe any of the few commercial planes which went down in the ocean ever had any survivors

so, take the life vests off the plane.............

being from an airline family we had to dress to the nines when we flew....I hated it....

That was in a regualted world Gayle...Deregualtion had changed the airline industry even before 9/11...As far as no life vests..There wont be any Air Canada flights originatin in the US that head over water without them..The FAA will not allow that not now not ever...Depending on how far out over the water the aircraft files they either have to have vests or vests and life rafts..It's the law..At least in the US it is...I've been working in the industry for either the old Braniff International or AA for 36 years now and I as well as everyone have seen the changes in air travel..It is disgusting for sure...I did fine your orignal post very funny though...

I flew Southwest on Friday (Chicago to Phoenix and back in a day).
I was actually amazed at the service.
The staff was very nice, no cost for (non-alcohol) drinks, and as many snacka as we could eat.
It beats the heck out of United.

I love um! SW has a business and operations plan that they have stuck to for many years. They know how to be a profitable low cost airline by not trying to be the TWA, AA, Pan Am, and United of old. From what the people that work for SW have told me it starts with how they treat their employees and it goes from there.

hitting the water at 150 - 400 mph pretty much insures that no one will need a life vest

Good point.

I always thought life vests were odd on the big planes. Why bother?

In contrast, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it would be nice to see them on WinAir. The impression that I had was that in an emergency, those small planes might possibly hit the water in such a way where survival was possible.