• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

We have decieded on this trip to SXM to take a day trip over to SBH. We will be staying in Maho at the end of July thru the begining of august. I gues

RichBouker

SBH Member
Questions for the experts

We have decieded on this trip to SXM to take a day trip over to SBH. We will be staying in Maho at the end of July thru the begining of august. I guess We will take the Edge from Simpson Bay. Our goal is just to walk on the beaches, and get Our bearings for a future longer stay someday. I think a car rental may be the best way to accomplish this. My questions are: Is any day better? Cheap car rental? Maybe an inexpensive room and make it a 2 day trip? We are not looking for glitz and glammor, just quiet romance. The Island just looks fantastic from all the photos we've seen, and We always talk of going. This time We will. Thanks for Your wisdom

...Rich

Re: Questions for the experts

A day trip to check out St. Bart and start planning a real stay sounds like a great idea. Any day when there are no cruise ships visiting works. Somewhere in these messages is the name of a site that posts cruise ship schedules. Anyone remember? A car is definitely the way to go. There's a number of rental choices. There's plenty of info in these posts about them. I can't compare since, like lemmings we just call Europcar out of habit. Dealing directly with the car rental agencies on the island usually gets you the best deals. Fine, reasonable overnight places include Sunset and Normandie hotels. Call well ahead for reservations.

that is exactly how we started 20 years ago. What we did was negotiate a 2 or 3 day price for a villa. They werent thrilled with it but did it anyway, since it was off season.
But if I could do it again, which we have many times, I would pick a place directly on st jean beach, perhaps les islets, which is our favorite. Best of all worlds...beautiful beach, quiet, romantic, good walking beach, walk to restaurants, and great people watching..
Then you just need to go over the hill to go to town for dinner.
My opinion, after having gone so many times, and filtering through things, the rest of the island is great for a drive around, but can get it all in st jean and Gustavia. After a while the only reason we went waaaaaaaaaay to the other side of the island (tongue in cheek) was to go have lunch at Le Rivage (boo hoo).
Although nothing beats the days of Chez Francine and looking at the Tom Beach hole in the ground for years.

Rich,
Welcome! Without question need a car to see the island and I would stay over night.

Car info

As for a low(er) hotel try the Sunset in Gustavia.

The cruise ships are long gone from the island, so I would come over on a Thursday and return Friday. Shops are open a bit later on Thursday and restos (that are not seasonally closed) will be open.

A good relatively inexpensive nice hotel is Le Village St. Jean. Get a cottage

When traveling by sea from SXM to SBH you are travelling into the prevailing seas, and the trip can vary from OK to quite unpleasant. Please consider two other options. First, check the highspeed ferry, Rapid Explorer. http://www.rapidexplorer.com/ You will experience a faster and smoother trip. Second, consider flying St Barth Commuter from the Grand Case airport on the French side of St Martin to SBH. The fare will be lower and there will be fewer taxes involved than flying out of Princess Juliana airport on the Dutch side. (However you travel, bring your passports.)

A rental car is all but mandatory if you are staying overnight, and highly recommended for a day trip. Taxis are available in the daytime, but much less so at night. An island tour via taxi might be something to consider if you're not renting a car. Any rental car company will deliver a car to the ferry dock for you.

As far as a place to stay, Les Islets de La Plage, sometimes described as a votel - a villa hotel mix - may have a 3-night minimum. Consider Village St Jean, the Hotel Tom Beach, or the Sunset Hotel in Gustavia for lower-cost hotel options, with the Sunset being the lowest cost. My new favorite lower-cost hotel, based on a walkthrough that I did earlier this month, is the Hotel Normandie in Lorient. It's not on the beach, but a 5-10 minute walk puts you on Lorient. It is under new ownership and has been completely done over. Anything that you read anywhere regarding the Normandie that is more than 6 months old is no longer accurate. http://www.normandiehotelstbarts.com/

I was wondering about the skeeter population at the Normandie, it is pretty low on the island. Anyone heard? I am considering it for June 09

If I were going to stay for 1 or 2 nites I would want to be in town near the action- Gustavia or St. Jean.

I was wondering about the skeeter population at the Normandie, it is pretty low on the island. Anyone heard? I am considering it for June 09

None that I know.
Very truly yours,
Skeeter

None that I know.
Very truly yours,
Skeeter

Oh, I'm sorry. I misread the post. You mentioned the "skeeter" population. I was referencing the "Skeeter" population.

For what it is worth, rumor has it that the Greater Flammands Area will have a Skeeter infestation in mid-July.

None that I know.
Very truly yours,
Skeeter

Oh, I'm sorry. I misread the post. You mentioned the "skeeter" population. I was referencing the "Skeeter" population.

For what it is worth, rumor has it that the Greater Flammands Area will have a Skeeter infestation in mid-July.

that will coincide with the "lamb infestation" during the same time in the pt. milou area!