Sea Island

JEK

Senior Insider
Going down this week for a meeting at the Cloisters. Are there any not-to-be-missed stops on Sea Island?

I imagine so. I know the Cloisters was demolished and rebuilt a couple of years ago. Did the marriage last?

Andy,

You started me thinking, and I came to the conclusion that it's been just about 30 years since I was there also. I wonder if the mosquitos and no-see-ums are as bad as they used to be....

Andy,

You started me thinking, and I came to the conclusion that it's been just about 30 years since I was there also. I wonder if the mosquitos and no-see-ums are as bad as they used to be....

It is Georgia you know.

Andy,

It's fixed now. For some reason this forum was set up for HTML and not mark-up code.

So far so good . . .

2471869477_2c40d413f2_o.jpg
2471864459_b43a37af16_o.jpg
2472685702_2558e325b8_o.jpg
2471859807_e130399194_o.jpg

The winners of the sand sculpture contest. More fun than golf :)

2473930287_823fc12e17_o.jpg

2474750658_ce80e14d64_o.jpg

Beach combing and nature walk

2473935681_1186bc1815_o.jpg

Leaving Savannah after a wonderful few days at The Clositer
http://www.seaisland.com/Accommodations/Cloister_Overview.html

What a a hotel! Before this trip my wife thought the Inn at Spanish Bay was the best golf resort property we had stayed at for a corporate function -- this place is a cut above in terms of service and room quality. So much to do on the grounds even if you aren't a golfer.
We shall return!

cloister_arial.jpg

lodge_overview.jpg

The Cloister is where the Mrs and I did our after marriage thing in '87...it was fabulous then, and from what I have heard, it is more spectacular now.

Today's NY Times has an article about Sea Island and the sad news that the CLOISTERS has fallen on hard times and let go of 500 staff people. Unfortunately, the whole island is suffering in today's troubled economy.

A sad tale . . .

October 1, 2008
An Unwelcome Guest Intrudes on a Worry-Free Zone for the Rich

By ROBBIE BROWN
SEA ISLAND, Ga.

I last stayed there this past November, which was my second visit since they redid the whole place. It's on a completely different level now than it was before, which is why it is having financial issues. They spruced it up to what they felt was a "world-class" level without researching just how much the market would bear in terms of pricing. As "world-class" as it now truly is, the place will always be dependant on a substantial portion of its guests coming from reasonably close markets. Most people from within a 200 mile radius just won't regularly pay what they now need to make a go of the place, so it has been quite a shock in general to their accountants and the Jones