• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Photo Tips

Eddie

Senior Insider
Since there's a break in the action, we'll slip this in today and tomorrow:

I thought it might be helpful to post a few photo tips. Most of the time, we just shoot, and hope for the best. A little thought, beforehand, should help improve the quality of your photos.

1- The Horizon Many of our beach photos involve the horizon. I see 2 major problems in many of the photos I see. The first is an angled horizon. I often find myself, when seeing an angled horizon, tilting my head, to straighten it. Second, when the image is photographed using a wide angle lens, the horizon will bow. To minimize the effect keep the horizon in the center of the image.

2-Distance to Subject More than half the photos I see, at Art Festivals (and elsewhere) would be improved if the photographer moved closer to the subject. After setting up my camera, and focusing, I examine the edges of the image. More often than not, I end up moving closer. Sometimes it?s only a foot, or two. A small adjustment will eliminate superfluous elements, and make the image more successful.

3-Watch the Edges of the Frame For most amateur photographers it is normal to look at the subject only, in the viewfinder. Attention to the other areas, in the photo, is extremely important. We?ve all seen outdoor portraits where a tree appears to be growing out of the subject?s head. By looking carefully, this sort of mistake can be eliminated.

4- Sunrise & Sunset The most dramatic lighting is at Sunrise and sunset. I regularly shoot at both times, but prefer sunset. Over the years I?ve found that, at sunrise, I have about a 15 minute window of ?magic light?. At sunset, the window expands to 30-45 minutes. The extra time allows me to capture more images.

5- Successful Portraiture It is almost always beneficial to use fill flash, when shooting portraits, in sunlight. The lighting is usually harsh, creating shadows in the face. Using fill flash will open up the shadows, creating a more pleasing portrait. I also like doing this for sunset portraits. The subject?s face will be well lit, and the sunset hues will be muted. A beautiful pastel background will result.Most cameras will allow you to override the auto setting, and use fill flash. Alternatively, try shooting the portrait in diffused light (under a tree canopy, for example). This will also tame the harsh contrast.
For photos of children, get down to their level. It will create a more satisfying image than shooting down on them.

6- Inclement Weather Many people don?t shoot when the sun isn?t out. For me, it?s often the best time to create images. Overcast skies will lower contrast but increase color saturation. If I get an overcast day, I usually decide to shoot plant life. I also like to shoot flora after a rain. The wet leaves, and flowers, will also saturate the colors. Beads of water, on the leaves, will act like a magnifying glass, making for interesting compositional possibilities.

These are just a few tips which work for both digital & film. I certainly didn?t cover every possibility, but these are the basic rules I keep in mind while shooting on St Barth. If anyone has any other questions, please don?t hesitate to ask.

Re: Newbie info- photo tips

I'm not the Mystery Man. As his whereabouts are unknown, I'm just trying to fill a void.

What is this so called magic light? Just prior to sunrise and shortly after sunset or some other time... just after sunrise and before sunset? Thanks....

Mike- For me, the "magic light" occurs just after sunrise, and just before sunset.
In the morning, I look for the sun as it begins to clear the horizon. For sunsets, it is the moments before the sun dips below the horizon. I want the sun to be at an extreme angle. This is when the sky is it's most colorful, due to the light rays being bent as they hit the atmosphere. My personal preference is for shooting at sunset, because the "magic light" seems to last a little longer. I think it's because, at sunset, the earth cools, and there is more moisture in the atmosphere. The moisture has a "prism" effect, and we get noticeable color changes- the pinks and violets we associate with sunset skies. At sunrise, the moisture is burned off, so the effect is of shorter duration. My explanation may be completely wrong, but it is based on lots of experience shooting at those times of the day.

Thanks for filling in during Newbie hiatus! You also made observations/suggestions/critiques on the winners of the last contest.

The photos, by Ricky and Libby, are great examples of using diffused lighting. Notice how the white flower shows detail, in Libby's image. In harsher, more contrasty light, the subtlety of the flower would have been lost.

Eddie - Loved your explanation of "magic light"...sure makes sense to me. Its funny, my personal preference for shooting is the morning. Something about the warmth / gold in the light. (Plus the fact that I'm usually toasted by the time evening rolls around)
One thing I do in the morning is turn my back to the sun. I try to
think/remember) what photography is about....capturing light that is bouncing (reflecting) off stuff. Low, golden light can make the most mundane objects pop.
I have 18 shooting days coming up shortly and I'm going to make a strong effort to include evenings in my schedule. It could happen.....

the "magic light" which is produced on the outer Cape is truly beyond belief.....if you walk around town around sunrise to a few hours after.....you will see dozens and dozens of artists set up and painting throughout the town as well as photographers clicking away...all trying to capture the essence of that very light on canvas or film.....eddies explanation is pretty spot on although it has a little more to do with the light being bent as the angle of the sun to the horizon changes, than humidity in the air.......some of the best colors of magic light I have ever seen occured following a cold, bone dry Canadian northwesterly front coming through

Ricky- I agree about warm morning light. I think I prefer sunset because I have time to do more. With large format, it takes a long time to set up. By the time I set swings & tilts, focus, and determine exposure, I can only get in a few exposures. I do try to set up before the light's right, but to do that in the morning, I'd be trying to focus in the dark. I always bring an alarm clock, though!

...eddies explanation is pretty spot on although it has a little more to do with the light being bent as the angle of the sun to the horizon changes, than humidity in the air....
Well, I knew it had something to do with bent light rays....
I love the light on the Cape. Check out Joel Meyerowitz's book, "Cape Light".

I heard the term 'magic time' for photography applied to sunset this past weekend on CBS' "Sunday Morning" program. It was used by photographer Gregory Crewdson who stages a single photograph with a production crew similar to what Hollywood film makers use. I know eddie also takes lots of time with his photographs. Crewdson's work is on display now in NYC at the Luhring Augustine gallery until May 3.

kent_street.jpg

I like his work, but it does beg the question: If you don't focus the camera, set the lighting, snap the shutter, or print the negative, are you the photographer?

eddie just think of the amazing things you can do with all this light!!...and you got a free place to crash

2450807656_19d584f367_b.jpg

2449980165_fc1e576b6e_b.jpg

Great sunset shots, Miker!

Sunsets: Blue light bends more than red (you can see the spread in rainbows) and blue light scatters more (why the sky is blue).

yeah I suppose on the rare day when the ozone level is low and the wind shifts all that air pollutant and soot west to Pennsylvania...you get a good one every now and then....LOL