• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

How to Get to St. Barth

andynap

Senior Insider
Newbie Info Du Jour- How to get to St. Barts- (SBH)

Here is a primer on how to get to St. Barts (SBH):
If going from the U.S. directly to St. Maarten’s Princess Juliana International Airport (SXM), these are the airlines that service that airport:

Carrier Country of origin Serving PJIA since Destinations

Air Canada (Seasonal)
Canada Regular scheduled service since December 2004 Toronto

Air Caraibes
Guadeloupe 1973 St. Barths

Air France
tel. 546-7602
fax. 546-7604 France direct service since 1986 with continuous service since 1955 CDG France

Air Transat (Seasonal)
Canada 2000 Toronto, Montreal

American Airlines
tel. 546-2050
fax. 546-2030 USA 1979 New York, Miami

American Eagle
USA - San Juan

Caribbean Airlnes
tel. 546-7610
fax. 546-7614 Trinidad and Tobago 1974 Port-of-Spain

Continental Airlines
tel. 546-7671
fax. 546-7674 USA 1988 Newark

Corsair
tel. 546-7663 / 64
fax. 546-7669
France 1989 Paris

Delta Airlines
tel. 546-7615
fax. 546-7619 USA 2002 Atlanta

Dutch Antilles Express (DAE)
tel. 546-7842
fax. 546-7844 Curacao N.A 2004 Willemstad

Insel Air
tel. 546-7690
fax. 546-7694 Curacao N.A 2007 Willemstad

JetBlue
tel. 546-7663 / 64
fax. 546-7669 USA 2008 New York

KLM
tel. 546-7695
fax. 546-7696 The Netherlands direct service since 1989 with continuous service since 1947 Amsterdam

LIAT
tel. 546-7677
fax. 546-7679 Antigua 1957 Antigua, Anguilla
St. Kitts, Nevis
Tortola

Spirit
tel. 546-7621
fax. 546-7628 USA 2007 Florida, USA

St. Barths Commuter
tel. 546-7698
fax. 546-7699 St. Barths 1994 St. Barths

United Airlines
USA December 2004 Chicago

US Airways
tel. 546-7683
fax. 546-7687 USA 1996 Charlotte, Philadelphia

Winair
tel. 546-7690
fax. 546-7694 St. Maarten N.A. 1961 Statia, Saba,
St. Kitts, Nevis, Anguilla,
St. Barths, Tortola,
Santo Domingo

Windward Express Airways
tel. 545-2001
fax. 545-2224 </t

If going to San Juan (SJU) first, these airlines fly there:

Passenger Airlines

> Air Canada (Canada)
> Air Caraibes (Caribbean)
> Air Saint Thomas (Caribbean - Virgin Islands)
> Air Sunshine (Caribbean - PR - Virgin Islands)
> American Airlines (Caribbean - Dominican Rep. - Lesser Antilles - Spain - USA - Virgin Islands)
> American Eagle (Caribbean - Domincan Rep. - PR)
> American Trans Air (ATA, suspending services in November 2005) (USA)
> Cape Air (PR - Virgin Islands)
> Caribbean Sun (Caribbean - Virgin Islands)
> Continental Airlines (USA)
> Copa (Panama)
> Delta Airlines (USA)
> Iberia (Dominican Rep. - Spain)
> Isla Nena Air (PR - Virgin Islands)
> Jet Blue (USA)
> Liat (Caribbean - PR - Virgin Islands)
> Northwest (USA)
> Pan American (Dominican Rep. - USA)
> Song (Operated by Delta Airlines, transforming into Delta) (USA)
> Spirit Airlines (USA)
> Sun Country (USA)
> Ted by United (USA)
> Transmeridian (USA)
> United (USA)
> USAirways (USA)
> Vieques Air Link (PR - Virgin Islands)

St. Maarten Airport- (SXM)- Princess Juliana International Airport
Arriving in St. Maarten and flying to St. Barts requires checking in at the Transfer Desk to get your boarding pass for either St. Barth Commuter or Winair, the only 2 scheduled airlines. Here is a photo of the Transfer Desk inside the airport on the main floor.

1252962832-3441935416_5f87fb8ecb_o.jpg

If you flew USAIR, Continental or Delta they have a share agreement with Winair to send your bags thru to Winair so you don’t have to get your checked bags in St. Maarten. After you get your boarding pass you can skip Immigration and go directly upstairs thru Security to your gate for Winair. The Winair agent will tell how to do this when you get your boarding pass.

If you have checked luggage and are not on Winair or flew other than USAIR, Continental or Delta, you have to go thru Immigration after you get your boarding pass and get your luggage. Both Winair and St. Barth Commuter have a desk across from the luggage carousel for you to deposit your bags. You then have to go upstairs thru Security and then to your gate.

If you have carry-on luggage only, get your boarding pass and go upstairs thru Security and your gate.

If you have some time to spend in the airport it is easy to navigate- here is a link:
www.pjiae.com If you have a lot of time to spend in the airport, there is a lounge on the upper floors after Security- called the Business Lounge- here is the link-
www.sxm-airport.com/soualiga-lounge.html It’s $20 each to get in but it has WIFI, comfortable chairs and loungers and food.

Flying to St. Barts from SXM

There are 3 ways to fly to St. Barts from St. Maarten:

Winair-www.fly-winair.com -has the most flights per day but is the most expensive. It does have the luggage sharing agreement with USAIR, Continental and Delta, however.
St. Barth Commuter flies out of Princess Juliana on the Dutch side of St. Maarten and Grand Case on the French side of St. Martin. Tickets can be purchased online from www.flysbh.com and
http://www.stbarthcommuter.com/. It also flies charters out of Juliana.
Air St. Martin- has some cheap fares because it finds empty seats on charters and regular flights and sells them at a discount and can be found at www.airsxm.com/

Flying from San Juan directly to St. Barts
For those who don’t want the hassle of the St. Maarten airport, Tradewind Aviation flies either scheduled flights or charters directly to St. Barts twice a day but only during certain times of the year. Here is their link www.tradewindaviation.com

Taking to Boat from St. Martin to St. Barts
There is an alternate way of getting to St. Barts from St. Martin- the boat. The least expensive way is one of the ferries. There are three, Edge, Voyager, and Great Bay Express.

Voyager High Speed Ferry
The two Voyager ferries offer regularly scheduled high speed & comfortable trips between St Barths St Martin and Saba. Since 1995, more than one million passengers traveled with Voyager.
http://www.voyager-st-barths.com/

Great Bay Express Ferry Service
Monday-Saturday
Departs: St. Martin at 8am and 5pm
Departs: St. Barts at 9pm and 6pm
Sundays
Departs: St. Martin at 9am and 5pm
Departs: St. Barts at 10am and 6pm
The Great Bay Express makes two daily trips between (Phillipsburg, St Maarten) and (Gustavia, St Barts). The ferry has both air-conditioned and open-air seating with a capacity of 45 passengers. The ferry trip takes 45 minutes. The round-trip fare for adults purchasing a ticket in advance is 55 euros; the cost is 60 euros if purchased day of departure. Mention SBHonline.
Phone: 011 590 590 52 45 06
Email: sbh.ferry@orange.fr

The Edge -a high speed ferry that leaves from the Pelican hotel 599-544-2640.

Re: Newbie Du Jour- Getting to St. Barts

Of to a roaring start with an encyclopedic study of air travel! Well done!

Re: Newbie Du Jour- Getting to St. Barts

I hope all this info will find its way into a FAQ??

John,
We are working on a ways to capture all the Newbie posts into a static, read-only forum, i.e. a FAQ.

Re: Newbie Info Du Jour- Getting to St. Barts

Thanks for this information. How much time is needed to make a connection at SXM to WinAir - not checking bags, one carry-on only?

ANDY
Good job !
Another option,and the one we have preferred for our last 14 trips now(and always without mishap) is to connect through Guadeloupe.You avoid the craziness of SXM,the PTP airport is modern, always nearly empty,and generally just feels "very civilized" .Air Canada flies from Montreal Thursdays and Saturdays in high season,and Saturdays ,other times The connection to SBH on Air Caraibes is easy -takes about 5o minutes.Many locals seem to use this route

ANDY
Good job !
Another option,and the one we have preferred for our last 14 trips now(and always without mishap) is to connect through Guadeloupe.You avoid the craziness of SXM,the PTP airport is modern, always nearly empty,and generally just feels "very civilized" .Air Canada flies from Montreal Thursdays and Saturdays in high season,and Saturdays ,other times The connection to SBH on Air Caraibes is easy -takes about 5o minutes.Many locals seem to use this route

Lloyd I know but you are the only one that does that I think. If you look at the Juliana list of carriers, AC is listed from Guadeloupe.

Wow....nicely done, andy...Anyone who wondered "how to" before will certainly be pleased.

Thanks for this information. How much time is needed to make a connection at SXM to WinAir - not checking bags, one carry-on only?

My answer would be an hour. Even if you are early you may be able to get on an earlier flight. If not, have a carib or whatever at the little snack shop right next to the gate. And if you smoke, there is a smoking room right there too. Relax, and enjoy!

Great newbie postpost. One minor correction though: Tradewinds has two flights each way daily.

I'll be saving all this info in my SBH Sub-Directory. Thanks again.

Good catch!

http://www.tradewindaviation.com/stBarth.shtml

time depart arrive frequency

8:00 am San Juan St. Barth Daily
11:00 am St. Barth San Juan Daily
3:00 pm San Juan St. Barth Daily
5:00 pm St. Barth San Juan Daily
*Valid November 1st, 2007 through May 4th, 2008

great job Andy.....greetings from the Borgata..the weather sucks!!...and the "guaranteed early check in for your handicapped mother" has strangely evaporated.......and the Roulette wheel has not been very kind to me so far....other than that we re having a blast...LOL

Bobby Flays or Wolfgangs tonight.....

Go with Booby Flays, and try 27 on the Roulette wheel.

Newbie's have it much too easy on this site! What happened to having all the "fun" trying to find all this info on their own?? Only kidding, great work Andy - and not just for Newbie's. Even the seasoned traveler appreciates a one-stop-shop, crash course on getting to paradise.

Di

Andy, I wish I had this list as a newbie! And as an oldie - I intend to use it when I book my next trip, since I want to try something other than WinAir.

Thank you so much!

No doubt that st.Barts is one of the best place in the world for the tour point of view many tourist come every year in barts and take fun and i also appreciate this useful information about the barts..