• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

During our honeymoon on SBH in the fall of 1994, we were invited to an impromptu barbecue on a sunday and our contribution was either lobsters or lobs

onebigdawg53

Senior Insider
Lobster tails from Cuba on sbh

During our honeymoon on SBH in the fall of 1994, we were invited to an impromptu barbecue on a sunday and our contribution was either lobsters or lobster tails. On a sunday afternoon at Match, there was nothing fresh available but we did find frozen lobster tails which we purchased and brought to the barbecue. I didn't have my reading glasses with me (an affliction that I experienced regularly on SBH), but when we arrived at our hosts' villa, I found my glasses and found that the lobster tails were imported from Cuba.

I found that ironic, inasmuch as I am Cuban born and "reared" (not bred). So, my question is, is Match still selling imported Cuban lobster tails? Informed minds want to know LOL.

Re: Lobster tails from Cuba on sbh

Geo, it is but a short distance to your homeland from SBH, and easy to reach from there...I've seen lobsters, cigars & a host of fabrics/prints and clothing imported from Cuba over the years. This has always given me hope of the possibility that Cuba can 'overcome' one day...it will take time, but I would bet my life on it that I WILL SEE IT.

Ric

I have seen Cubana Airline sitting at Juliana in SXM so why not some seafood from Cuba too?

Ric

When the Berlin wall and the iron curtain fell in 1989, I was optimistic that changes would come to Cuba rapidly. Of course they didn't, except for some temporary changes because of the urgent need to replace the usd 6 billion Soviet subsidies per year. I am now much less optimistic, having seen recent reforms that are more geared towards outside perceptions of "change" within the 50 year dictatorship and not very helfpul to the average Cuban citizen earning the equivalent of usd 18=19 per month.

So, unless I live to be a hundred years old, I don't expect to see any real change towards democracy or liberal economics in my life time. And, even then, I suspect it will be more like the Chinese model, economic liberalization with the Communist party firmly in control.

I see the many protests throughout the world against Chinese repression in Tibet. I see little, if any, protests about the repression that has been occurring 90 miles from Key West for almost 50 years. Considering that as a proportion of the population, Cuba has more imprisoned independent journalists and dissidents than even China, I am honestly baffled at the lack of concern.
take care
georgedp

I have seen Cubana Airline sitting at Juliana in SXM so why not some seafood from Cuba too?

If the condition of their aircraft is anything like I've been reading about, that Cubana Airline plane may have been sitting there for several months for lack of spare parts LOL.

Geo, HOPE is sometimes defined as belief...and I believe the Cuban people want change, NOW, not later...and I believe it's a matter of time. Just an opinion, but my life would be enhanced greatly if I awoke one morning, not necessarily to a free Cuba, but a Cuba whereby the people were not so oppressed, a Cuba where the people were given a chance to have a good life, not a life ruled by 'the way it was' but 'by the way it could be'.

This country is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen...and it's people so warm, inviting, loving and wanting of better. I just have to have hope and believe there is better in sight for them. BUT like any situation, and as I'm sure you know, it is ONLY going to happen from within, so I won't use the R word, but you know what I mean...it has got to happen from within, only way.

ric

PS~ this post will probably generate some CIA investigation on me, and do I care, nada ????

Can someone answer my dumb question?? Why not get lobsters from say Anguilla which is 10 minutes away by air? Arent there any lobster fisherman/trappers on SBH also?? When I was an AXA regular all you had to do was go to the docks in Island Harbour and buy them right of the boats...

Peter, don't know about Anguilla, but probably about service/price. For SBH, I can say the local fishermen who gather lobster have agreements to supply fresh to local restaurants, and they 'get' more than if they sell to the tourists...I have bought locally from several, but it is typically an after thought, like OKAY, can't sell them to restos for whatever reason (it's Monday) so I'll sell them next day to a tourist for twice the price.

ric

Hit the island a few years ago, next morning I went out for a couple of dives with Birdy...first one, about 80-90 ft in the Marine Preserve...pinnacle poking up from the bottom about 20 ft...and I couldn't count the lobsters...there were too many...

they were sticking their little lobster tongues out at us...knew we couldn't touch em...LOL

Hi Ric

I see some signs of change from within, but very slow. The change from within will occur, only, when the citizenry lose their fear, and I see some signs that it is occurring. But, make no mistake about it, the Party and their security apparatus and those in control that have everything to lose by change, are not going to give it up without a fight. And that is the problem, fear of repression, fear of imprisonment, and so on and the daily struggle for survival that prevents the citizenry from utilizing their time and resources to effect change.

I agree with you, Cuba and its people are unique. The beauty of the country and its people are unmatched compared to any where else in the world. But, they are saddled with circumstances that they can not control or change, and that is sad.

If you like, I will PM you some websites where you can see thousands of photographs of what Cuba was like pre-Castro and some statistics about the pre-Castro economy vs the present that the MSM doesn't like to publicize. It's eye opening.

I can also PM you my theory on who I think actually assassinated JFK (since Oliver Stone has taken liberty with history and actual facts, I can do the same. except my theory makes much more sense LOL).

take care
georgedp