• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

When my friend Ellen told me about yesterday's fire at Grand Fond, it still wan't until I biked past there this morning that I appreciated the enormit

tim

Firemen Save Grand Fond

When my friend Ellen told me about yesterday's fire at Grand Fond, it still wan't until I biked past there this morning that I appreciated the enormity of the accomplishments of the local fire personnel. With the island extremely dry, plenty of fuel, and strong breezes, it's only due to their tremendous efforts that the entire eastern end of the island didn't go up in flames yesterday. There is a blackened scar covering several acres of the hillside that gives testament to yesterday's battle. Thankfully, the firemen were able to save all the structures nearby.

Stupidity or Arson?

I've seen thousands of cigarette butts that have been thrown out of car windows by careless idiots on this island, and that could easily have been the cause of yesterday's barely diverted disaster. On the other hand the article below on last week's other fires from the recent edition of "The Weekly" suggests more sinister origins. Last year's murder, last month's rapes, and now arson on this safe little island. Mes amis, say it ain't so!

2392408416_44a352fe1d_o.jpg

Pyro-Protest?

I just recalled an event in my past that has caused me to semi-hijack my own thread here. We were on St. Kitts about 15 years ago, and numerous sugar cane fields were burning around the island. I asked our guide why the fires had been set. He told me the people were protesting some unpopular government policy.

Vignettes were due to be purchased on St. Barth by March 31st and displayed on all vehicles, but I notice around 15% of the vehicles on the road still don't have them. I wonder if there's some connection here. Hmmmm.....

Re: Pyro-Protest?

Tim - interesting thought - keep your "nose to the ground" and see if this is, in fact, a possibility. Await the revelation of who was responsible for the fires.

Re: Firemen Save Grand Fond

Hi Tim

I would not be surprised if your theory is correct. Recently, in Cuba, similar types of protests have been occurring. That government has arrogantly announced that their citizens can now purchase DVD players, computers and other electric appliances that had previously been reserved for tourists only. And, inasmuch as the average Cuban citizen is paid in worthless pesos equivalent to about usd 18-19 PER MONTH, the recent authorization has been considered a slap in the face because these goods are not within reach of the average Cuban. So, there has been a rash of sabotage on that island.

In one of the provinces, the largest department store selling those previously prohibited goods was burned to the ground and it has been determined that it was a fire that was intentionally set. In another province, the train carrying those previously prohibited goods was purposely derailed and the goods carted off by the derailers.

So, I would not be at all surprised if it is ascertained that the recent fires on SBH were an intensional form of protest.

Don't see the protest angle. No-one is complaining that hard about the new taxes. Fuel prices and rent, yes.

Hi Jim

Has there been any scuttlebutt as to who the suspect(s) might be and their motive?
tks
georgedp