2008 James Beard Foundation Nominees

JEK

Senior Insider
http://jbfawards.com/content/2008-nominees

sidebar-img-4_0.jpg

Good to see Chicago getting some love...

Grant Achatz
Alinea, Chicago
Haven't been. It's "molecular" dining. Not sure it's my thing. Plus it takes 5 hours to eat.

Mindy Segal
HotChocolate
Awesome desserts. We go someplace for dinner then here.

Chicago
Bin 36, Chicago
Wine Director: Brian Duncan
Great wine bar with good food to boot. Where MikeR and I libiated together.

Spiaggia
Chicago
Owner: Tony Mantuano
Amazing. Creative. Stunning. Expensive.
Locals Secret: Cafe Spiaggia next-door rocks for half the price and the gnocchi with Wild Boar ragout are the same. Had it this past Sunday night.

Graham Elliot Bowles
Avenues
Chicago
Maybe Chicago's best chef. Leaving in April to open his own place.

Carrie Nahabedian
Naha
Chicago
We had lousy service and it tainted the whole evening. Me: "How's the Sea Bass?" Waiter: "Seared in the pan, finished in the oven."

Bruce Sherman
North Pond
Chicago
Shhhhhh...You

some great books in that group too, most of which I stock

Peter Reinharts Whole Grain Breads is a fantastic book....Chez Jaques is terrific...Lidias Italy and the Geography of Oysters are very good books too....and one of the websites nominated Epicurious.com I think is superior in every way to Food.Com...nice to see Gramercy Tavern get some love...along with Arrows in Ogunquit Maine...two excellent places ...and yes Dennis, I loved Bin36 ...it had a great vibe to it...I just wish you hadnt ordered me so many drinks so early in the day.....I had 8 hours of drinking ahead of me when I left you as I was in town for a friends 40th birthday...the next morning was not pretty.....LOL

You were upright when I last saw ya...
of course you did...that was only chapter one of the day....

from Bin36 I went to ESPNzone to meet friends for more drinks...than to Kamehachie for sushi and more drinks...then back to House of Blues for happy hour....then out to dinner.....the rest starts to get a bit hazy