• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Make a Good First Impression

Re: Newbie Info du Jour : Make a first good impres

uh...oh...here we go again!!!!! tim, kara, jek....help!!!!! (while laughing hysterically!)

nope..from my perspective, and based on conversations with the locals, long pants are worn in the Caribbean by the locals primarily because they get cool in the evenings...their metabolisms are such that the cool of the evening understandably does that to them...they are used to heat.....the same way I just took the garbage out from the shop minutes ago in a T Shirt on a 24 degree day and didnt get cold because I am used to that....their customs and inclinations have about as much to do with European traditions and customs as what Cruzans customs and traditions in USVI ST Croix have to to do with American customs and traditions...that being, not much at all.....and there were a LOT less long pants seen on foreign tourist customers in restaurants in the 80's before the North American invasion

And bringing only carry-on luggage...;-)

now you re reaching....LMAO

but I like everyones spunk and stamina on this issue....LOL

I'm fired up...I am going to check my luggage, wear long pants to dinner (bright white) and show up without reservations, use a VIP service on a Wednesday, ship by FedEx all my meat, fresh frozen fish, golf clubs & beach chairs, learn to say "al-oh" when answering a phone and rent a four wheeler with a stationary umbrella, dual glass paks & a loud horn. BTW, you'll recognize me as my bumper sticker says "LE YANKEE RENTREE".

Au Revoir

Ric

can I join you?..there is an old farty helpless high maintenace ugly American in me just DYING to get out.....LOL

can I join you?..there is an old farty helpless high maintenace ugly American in me just DYING to get out.....LOL

It's out.

<<and rent a four wheeler with a stationary umbrella, dual glass paks & a loud horn. BTW, you'll recognize me as my bumper sticker says "LE YANKEE RENTREE">>

ROFL!
Do people still buy glass paks?

"Do people still buy glass paks?"

I have 2 glass paks, side mounted in chrome on my M5...so, yes! A little loud, but I like that. Also have 4 of them on my four wheeler in SBH, just under the Noise Ordinance. (LOL)

Ric

opening this thread to THIS post this morning is better than a bowl of cap'n crunch! what a way to start my day!!! thanks, mikeR!!

"glass pack"

I'm clueless as to what that is.....wait, is it something you put on your car to make it louder?

Bev, honestly I'm not certain, but it resembles an extremely loud muffler and serves no other purpose (I think). Ric

yes, as I was posting that last one I seem to remember my hot rod-GTO-drag-racing-(much) older brother mentioning "glass packs" a time or two, lol...

when you hear a car/truck making a rather loud, obnoxious "waaah, bah, bah, bah" sound....it more than likely has glass packs or today's equivalent.

ship by FedEx all my meat, fresh frozen fish...

Would that be Dover Sole?

And don't forget to talk as loudly as possible, and wear white sneakers with dark socks on the beach while overtly snapping pix of topless sunbathers!

And don't forget to talk as loudly as possible, and wear white sneakers with dark socks on the beach while overtly snapping pix of topless sunbathers!

And don't forget to bring your little cooler with the Budweisers when you go to the restaurant because all those SBH restaurants only have those Heinekens and Caribs. ( I actually saw this at Le Repaire a few years ago - incredible).

And don't forget to bring your little cooler with the Budweisers when you go to the restaurant because all those SBH restaurants only have those Heinekens and Caribs. ( I actually saw this at Le Repaire a few years ago - incredible).

Frozen dover sole and cod, sandals & white knee socks, 3 cameras around my neck with extra film in my fanny pack, and I'll have the beer with me always, but I prefer the tall PBR's for the green taste.

Ric
In a declining state

Of mind

Re: Newbie Info du Jour : Make a first good impression

This post made me laugh!! I remember a time we were at Andy's, and this annoying couple with their 2 kids were ready to order..snapping their fingers while the waitress was talking to us so kindly..anyway, they must have changed EVERYTHING on the menu to the way they wanted it...ie..different bread on a different sandwich, thinly sliced cheese, no FF but a vegetable, small salad with only lettuce and tomato and dressing on the side, extra lemon for thier water..SO ANNOYING!

I know so many people pull that crap here in the states, but we were in St Barth's!! The waitress was hysterical! She kept saing, "wee, wee". When the orders came out, it came out to what was on the menu..not what they changed around. They wanted to see a "Manager", she laughed at them and told them to dine elsewhere if they did not like it!!! Needless to say, they stayed and eat. My husband and I both laughed right at them. When we left, my husband thold them next time they should just go on a cruise instead, that would suit them much better.

They even let their 2 little brats run around the restaurant, until the waitress yelled at them!

I'm bumping this up as it was a topic of two different conversions with islanders this trip -- the demise of a basic civility that sets this place apart from others.