Pigs Flew and School Closed

rivertrash

Senior Insider
For Mike R:

"Pigs are flying, hell has frozen over, and Elvis Presley is playing the Vilar Center. In other words, Eagle County schools cancelled classes Friday because of snow and dangerous road conditions. The collective memories of longtime residents can't agree on the exact year, but it's been 25 to 30 years since the last true snow day in Eagle County." -- The Vail Daily, Saturday, February 9, 2008.

Vail Pass was closed in both directions at about 2:30 p.m. on Thursday and remained closed for 22 hours. Beaver Creek had 12 inches of fresh powder on the ground Friday morning, but the lifts closed at about 1:00 p.m. because of wind. There has been 3 1/2 feet of new snow the past seven days. Unbelieveable.

i was there earlier in the week and had awesome conditions until wednesday afternoon....the upper lifts were closed around noon due to wind and white out conditions...makes for great snuggling, wine-drinking, fire-gazing...too bad i didn't have anyone willing to snuggle, drink or gaze with....

My son was at Vail that day and couldn't make it back to Breck via I-70 where he and friends were staying. They had to go around Vail Pass the long, long way via Minturn and Leadville. Powder! Man, am I jealous!

Josh -- Your son would have had no picnic going by Leadville -- Tennessee Pass couldn't have been fun with wind and blowing snow.

Yeah, RT, he mentioned the long, slow, dicey drive. Also, yesterday, most of the best terrain at Breck was closed (chair 6 and above) due to high winds. But he had powder days at Blue Sky Basin and the rest of Breck even though it was bitter cold. Sounded like he was still smiling through the phone.

RT...that is indeed a rare occurrence.....8 years in the Summit School District and ONE snow day...and it took 40+ inches...and not one game cancelled...this reminds me of the winter of 91 when I was out there ski instructing at A Basin and Keystone and we had a 500 inch winter....I got a text message from one of my kids who is a senior and still plays there who told me the game was postponed last night....

we ve been getting blasted here in New England like I cannot remember....just completed a LONG ride home in snow from a game in Rhode Island......this will for sure be a record year for us here.....I think when its all said and done the entire countries ski areas will be reporting record or close to record snow....

life is good if you are a ski bum ;-)))))