• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Cocktails

DebTor

Senior Insider
Since Tim's economical dining received rave responses,I have what is going to appear to be a strange request. Almost every single time I sit down to lunch or dinner in St. Barths, I tell Rog I'm going to have a cocktail before even looking at the food menu. Well, I read through the cocktail menu and always end up ordering the same thing, either a beer before lunch or a glass of wine before dinner or a vodka martini. This year, I've decided to experience a different cocktail each time I have lunch and/or dinner. So, rather than eyes glazing over the cocktail menu, I'm asking for recommendations. I'm not keen on creamy coconut drinks.....

DebTor

Considering all the new vodka flavors, you probably could have a different martini every day for the 2 weeks you are there.

Deb,
At home I normally have a gin martini, but in St. Barts I like to start with a kir royale!

My two favorites when in St. Barth are Planteurs Punch or Mount Gay and Coke w/lime. Also, since I'm not supposed to have grapefruit juice (which I love) due to meds I'm on, I like either Absolute Ruby Red or Finlandia Grapefruit (both are grapefruit flavored vodkas) w/club soda and a splash of cranberry w/lemon. Not a lot of Bars carry the grapefruit flavored vodkas though so in that case I'll order Absolute Mandarine or Citron or Stoli Orange with the same.

A girl after my own heart...good for you!

Don't forget a glass of champagne brut or rose, which most places is quite economical.

Others to consider:
- a mojito which can be found all over but I like the ones at Do Brazil
- a caipirinha
- a mango dacquiri downstairs at Do Brazil at sunset (don't limit those cocktails to before lunch and dinner;-)
- Ti Punch (of course, but you know all about those)
- have you and Roger tried Sex on the Beach? Just fun to order if they know what it is...vodka, peach liquer, cranberry and orange juices.

Sante!
XO

I forgot the Negroni- it's been a while. Very nice drink.
Deb- with all the suggestions you will have to stay a month.

Planteurs punch and martini's get my vote!! I ordered a rum and coke....once! LaGloriette...as I watched the rum and coke made I sat with my mouth hanging open since the rum filled the glass to a half inch short of the top then the rum was added as a last minute "splash"! Let's just say that two or three sips and I needed some food in my tummy!! FAST!! They were not stingy with the alcohol there. HaHa

Deb...I hate all those fruity chick drinks.....I like Grey Goose on the rocks with a twist....but when I do get a mixed drink I like a good spiced rhum with a real snappy ginger beer and a twist of lime.....you wanna try something that will taste like a vanilla shake but knock you for a loop??......1/3 Baileys, 1/3 dark rhum. 1/3 creme of Coconut....a ton of ice...and blend til smooth

and when in doubt....ti punch

Deb,
A favorite "chick" drink (don't listen to MikeR---some of those fruity drinks are delicious :)) in these parts is the Cosmopolitan. It's made with vodka (often Citron Vodka), cointreau, fresh lime juice & cranberry juice. Now you are going to have to stay an extra week or two to try all these drinks!
Julia

Grey goose on the rocks with a twist...Not much beats that Mike R....definatly my drink of choice...

Any champagne cocktail is a great way to kick off an evening anywhere.....especially St. Barths.

As we speak, Jenny and I are in the midst of an ice storm in the Outer Banks, NC and just popped a bottle of bubbly with a splash of pomegranate juice while our lasagna bakes in the oven.

Mike

We have a St Barts special cocktail (equally as good for breakfast or as pre-lunch) Vodka , ice, a splash of tonic and some of the mixed juice available on island (pineapple, grapefruit etc). Light and depending on how you mix it can give you a good buzz.

Also it is hard to beat a good bloody mary - I guess we start our cocktails earlier in the day then most-LOL!

I second, third....whatever, any champagne cocktails...including mimosas, French 75, bellini...

Miker's suggestion of the ginger beer/vodka/lime (offically called a Moscow Mule) is also refreshing.

My current favorite is the pomogranatini- a cosmo like martini w/pom juice instead of cranberry...VERY healthy..LOL

Deb,
I am so happy to hear you are returning this season. Randy and I enjoyed meeting you and Roger at Le Select last February and will raise a glass (one of the above!) to celebrate your return to our favorite isle.

marybeth

I'm asking for recommendations. I'm not keen on creamy coconut drinks.....

DebTor

I always like an MGP. Mount Gay and Pineapple. You can taste the rum, and there's the tart/sweet of the pina.

Different set of Islands but my favorite boat drink is the Painkiller. We did an extensive survey throughout the BVIs, and came home with a great recipe. Sort of a pumped-up Creamcycle but not too creamy; best made and served at the Villa. PM me for the details if interested.

Are there AA meetings in SBH?

Failing that I want to make you aware of a company called Stirrings. They make mixes for many drinks but I was reminded of them when I saw Julia's recipe for a cosmo. We bought their mix when we were going to have some people in and those who love cosmos (ok, mostly women) felt they were great. And all you do is add vodka! And after that 8 of us went out to dinner ("amada" for Philadelphians)and drove the staff crazy.

I'm online because I'm all packed, still wide awake and leaving TOMORROW for SBH. Hoping to get 100 posts. Anybody ever got that many???

Jim

Grey Goose? Flavorless!!

Try Jean Mark XO if you like Vodka without mixers. Best sippin vodka I ever had.

I'm asking for recommendations. I'm not keen on creamy coconut drinks.....

DebTor

I always like an MGP. Mount Gay and Pineapple. You can taste the rum, and there's the tart/sweet of the pina.

My sunday morning "breakfast of champions" is MGPO and sometimes AVPO -
Mount Gay with Pineapple and a splash of OJ OR Absolut vodka with Pineapple and a splash of OJ. Either one is very good for your health. The rhum or Vodka sanitizes your innards and kills the bad germs and the pineapple and OJ replenishes your vitamins. What more can you ask for in a cocktail? lol