Any of you world travellers have FHE with a portable GPS unit?I'm leaning towards a Garmin 650-660, which gives directions with street names, as oppos

NYCFred

Senior Insider
Portable GPS?

Any of you world travellers have FHE with a portable GPS unit?
I'm leaning towards a Garmin 650-660, which gives directions with street names, as opposed to "Turn right here, you IDIOT".

Re: Portable GPS?

I use the Nuvi 660 in rental cars and it is better than anything installed in our Audi or BMW.

I have the Garmin 660....it talks to you where the 650 doesnt I believe..I use it on the boat, and now that I have to drive to all these God forsaken gyms I have no clue where they are looking at recruits it is God send for that as well...if you pay more then 350 you are paying too much

Is TomTom available in the US?

Although TomTom's software is cosidered better (PND business hit Garmin by suprise) I believe their software is better suited for non-US users while Garmin is more to the US users. TomTom is the company that bought TeleAtlas (Garmin did try to outbid them but failed) while Nokia bought NavTeq.

You may also want to check www.navigadget.com for the latest, I think we're on the edge to move from fast basic devices to devices with a lot of new features (and I'm not talking about MP3 players but 3D, option to add and share your own data, etc). When you look at what e.g. MioMap 2008 can do with their 3D images (http://www.mio-tech.be/en/MioMap-2008.php), the Garmin's and TomTom's start to look pretty aged..

I look for the moss on the trees, look at the sun or stars and always seem to get where I wanted to be. But really, those talking GPSs? We got rid of the "a door is ajar" gizmos many years ago. Probably because the Mason Jar people complained - a door ain't a jar. Or, was it because everyone started ripping apart their cars to shut that thing off. We still get grossly inaccurate info these days on most of these units in the boonies. Which is where they would be most helpful. Jeez, gimme a compass, a map, a GPS and I'll still make the wrong turn only to be told that I should've stopped at the last gas station and gotten directions.

The consensus seems to be that Tom-Tom is better for European use, and Garminis better for the USA...and I kinda like the 660-650 for speaking the street names as you go....

We got rid of the "a door is ajar" gizmos many years ago. Probably because the Mason Jar people complained - a door ain't a jar. Or, was it because everyone started ripping apart their cars to shut that thing off.
Voosh,
You need to layoff of those Mexican mushrooms so early in the day :)

Oh. Didn't know they were Mexican mushrooms. The dude said they were homegrown. BTW, how did you know it was mushrooms. I thought it was all the exhaust fumes as I sit in this traffic backup.

Anyways, driving and talking on my phone and listening to the latest biz news on my Sirius and keeping an eye on the laptop without spilling my coffee and then the GPS makes a comment. God I'm glad the weekend is here.

<<Voosh,
You need to layoff of those Mexican mushrooms so early in the day :) >>>

dunno, I kinda enjoy the 'stream of consciousness' commentaries....

<<Voosh,
You need to layoff of those Mexican mushrooms so early in the day :) >>>

dunno, I kinda enjoy the 'stream of unconsciousness' commentaries....

LOL. Glad to be back home after a three hour pileup on the e-way. I suppose in LA and NYC that's just a bump in the road. All that talk of mushrooms made me hungry. Looks like we have some of those shirt-take-a-mees, some onions, and some steaks in the fridge. Since I'm the first one back, guess it's up to me. Olive oil and grill here we come. Yeah, I know, we don't have any creme fraiche or any of the other ingredients onboard. We'll just muddle through the evening. Fletch wants to see Snow Dogs again. After watching that cool movie with the kids twice last week, I said NO. Once again I'm the bad guy. What to choose, what to watch. Life can be pretty simple and satisfying.