• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

I usually wait 6 mos post trip to put down my thoughts about about a place I have visited for the first time so that I have some real perspective of

BARRY52166

SBH Member
Trip Report 7/4-7/10

I usually wait 6 mos post trip to put down my thoughts about about a place I have visited for the first time so that I have some real perspective of my trip and not just the immediate thoughts of just returning to the real world. My wife and I have traveled quite a bit over the past 10 yrs and were in need of a tranquil vacation around the 4th of July.Not an active vacation like a Rome or London where we go to museums and see the sights and take pictures of attractions etc..my wife told me " I want to go somewhere without fancy clothes, a subway system and not have to "work" to figure things out"..so I said "St Barths".. we had had always heard of the island and it's lure of simple tropical luxury without all the normal carribean traits {abject poverty, people selling weed & coconut water on the beach, etc..}So we overnighted in SXM and next morn caught the ferry over for a 5 night stay at Francois Plantation. A jeep was included in our stay as was breakfast. We had one of the most relaxing and calm vacations ever. We fell into a routine of breakfast, beach, lunch, "nap"..and dinner for 5 nights..Ate at all the usual suspects, La Mandala, Ke Fi Massai, Do Brazil, Chez Andy, la creperie, Le Ti on Sat Nite, Le Repaire etc..As I was told by the manager at the hotel in July we had the beaches almost entirely to ourselves and my wife loved being only in her skin at Saline,and also at a deserted Colombier beach after a hike down early sat morning !..the beaches were breathtaking and the views from Francois Plantation were magnificent. We loved bumping around in our trusty drop top suzuki. She described our vacation as a luxurious Robinson Caruso Novel.The food , the people were wonderful, the water was clear and warm and the vanile rhum was delicious and the only traffic jam was a car in fromt of us at the turnabout! Not our cheapest vacation, but worth every Euro To be unguarded for a week in the carribean was extremely satisfying and we will be back..I'll post a few pics fr our trip when I get a chance.

Re: Trip Report 7/4-7/10

Barry - welcome to the world of SBH..thanks for your thoughts and report.

Sounds like you hit the hot spots and fell into the groove of the island easily.
Thanks for taking time to share...and at this time of year, pics of SB would most certainly be welcome and would whet the appetites of those starting the countdown : )

Great report Barry! And welcome to St. Barts and this site! How did the ferry ride from SXM go for you and your wife?

Tim

Well Tim, after MUCH research we took the voyager ferry roundtrip. I am a firm believer that approaching an island from the sea is preferable. Since we were duly warned of the rough seas from SXM-SBH we both took dramamine prior to departing Marigot in Sxm..and we're glad we did..the ride over on a rough seas scale 1-10 was a 6..some people got "sick" ,others did not..we were fine thanks to the drugs !..the ride back to SXM was fine..However we both agree that next time we will fly !

Barry

Another convert!

Barry,

The report was great. The pix (in the gallery) tell the story.

Thanks!