• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

A few thoughts on the recent trip.We returned on Monday and experienced the most seemless and restful trip yet. I decided this year to travel on week

goldold25

SBH Insider
Trip Report 11/5 - 11/12

A few thoughts on the recent trip.

We returned on Monday and experienced the most seemless and restful trip yet. I decided this year to travel on weekdays to eliminate some of the weekend congestion and I guess it paid off because there was smooth sailing throughout.
We departed Westport around 5:30 AM for an 8:35 AM flight and had no traffic to Newark, even over the George Washington Bridge. There was a pretty long line through security at Newark but it moved pretty fast.
The flight was without incident, no children crying or drunks carrying on. Arrived at SXM on time and met the Premium IV rep and in about 25 minutes were on our way to SBH. Amazing. Will use them every year for the piece of mind, absolutley worth it.

Luggage was, of course, not on our plane but Premium IV delivered & the bags were at the villa by the time we gor back from Match with the wine, Caribe, cheese and bread. Good to go.

Now to shorten this little message.

Breakfast/coffee every morning at Maya's to go. there's a group of island women who gather there every morning, "desperate housewives" who are a constant source of amusement for me so I wouldn't miss them. They arrive about 8:15 or so every morning. My better half isn't as amuses as I but she is at least mildly amused too.

Lunches: Route de Boucaniers, love the fries & Club Sandwich; Do Brazil (2 times) - curried chicken pannini is excellent; Kiki e Mo (2 times) good spot to watch the cruise ship people shop across the street & the havoc they wreak on the traffic & the pannini is also top notch, love the bread they use; and one day at L'Case de Isle for the over the top club sandwich and fries. the price is ridiculous but hey, it is St. Barts

Drinks: First it was really fun meeting the folks from this forum at Baz Bar on Wednesday ans sharing experiences and stories.I wonder why the wives don't post? ALso great to meet Rosita and Tim who are the embedded experts. Two wonderful resources. It can be a bit disconcerting walking into a spot where you know no faces, actually I recognized Tim from photos, but everyone couldn't have been more nice. Earl greeted us and introduced us to everyone, thanks, it was a lot of fun. Not good mojitos at Baz tho'.

Cantina makes good Mojitos and it's a pretty good local spot rather than paying the $52 we paid for two drinks at Eden Roc (we should have known) I wonder how much Dennis paid for their dinner that night? I hate to think (it is St. Barts), Route de Bouc... where the group from a yacht (Helios) walked past us while we sat in the least comfortable chairs on the island. Absolutley drop dead gorgeous young women and kind of sloppy looking, older than the women, guys. One can assume it wasn't their appearance the women were considering. I'm sure they were nice guys.

Dinners: Andy's (2 times) always really enjoyable. Can Andy be any more welcoming to people he sees no more than a few times each year? The guy is great; Eddy's (2 times) again really friendly and tasty. Janet at ethe same thing both nights (curried shrimp) a good thing they have the fans running tho', depending where you are seated it can be a bit warm; Wall House. What can you say, friendly, great service, attentive, well presented, tasty well priced food. We always agree this is the best meal of the weekfor all it represents; Do Brazil on their first night open for dinner. Everything about the meal was top notch but the food was only fair. My fish was a bit over done and the beef Janet had was a little to strong tasting for her taste. but the waitstaff was on their game and the bartender was good to go as were the drinks.

Vlla Pleine Lune was a very nice. There are three buildings, one each a bedroom and the master bedroom has a bath that's bigger than the bedroom. This place has a great deck and a nich small pool for the daily afternoon after the beach plunge. Also, it's relatively private but we're not that shy anyway. The kitchen is fully stocked with tools of the trade but we ate out every night so we only used the cork screw and bottle opener anyway.

We took two samll hikes, one to the tidal pools and one to Colombier on the route from Flamands. Thanks Tim, it is much simpler than the climb down from the top of the hill. We also found an abandoned villa overlooking Anse de Cayes. The place is perched right on the hillside and was pretty nice. The photo attached is from one of the balcony's.

Anyway, I've said too much already, great, relaxing trip. I'd have to give it a 9. I can only give it a ten if someone else paid and that sure didn't happen.
2021793579_199bac6e69.jpg
2022187179_5b2e1f2a0e.jpg
2021842043_6ae1da0a9e.jpg
2022602100_9c22dc1461.jpg

Re: Trip Report 11/5 - 11/12

Great report. It was a pleasure meeting y'all as well.

I wonder how much Dennis paid for their dinner that night? I hate to think (it is St. Barts),

Please...don't remind me. I will say that it was very, very good and the service was as well.

<<We also found an abandoned villa overlooking Anse de Cayes. The place is perched right on the hillside and was pretty nice.>>>

Abandoned? or unoccupied?

It was completely open, in a state of disrepair with some furniture gone and some scattered about. It appeared squatters may have been using it. I saw a motorcycle helmet. But it was at the very end of a road and looked like no one had officially been there for some time. Not a bad location, just a mess.

Walt,

Wonderful report with great photos. My wife and I enjoyed meeting you two and hope to see you again on the island.

Jim,

Glad to see you made it safely back to Pittsburgh. After the high-tech bucket brigade got U.S. Air out of SXM yesterday, I though things went pretty well for us. See you in February.

it was nice to meet you and your lovely wife too!
I am happy you had a wonderful time in St-Barth
I hope you will come back very soon

<<It was completely open, in a state of disrepair with some furniture gone and some scattered about. ..But it was at the very end of a road and looked like no one had officially been there for some time. Not a bad location, just a mess. >>

Hmmm.
the real estate guy living within me smells an opportunity....

I wonder why the wives (spouses?) don't post?

Because only one partner is allowed to be obsessive about the same thing at the same time :)

Nice report, my man!

Great report...we use Premium IV also and they saved us in SXM during the Sat rush hour. Had a great time and enjoyed meeting you both! See you next year in Nov?????

Walt - great report and pics! Nice to hear someone else likes Cantina - it's a great spot for harbor-watching and story telling by Jean-Louis. They have good sandwiches too. Drinks are great and reasonable - cold Caribs and tasty strawberry margaritas!