St Croix - For JEK et al

Miker back in the day,it probably wasnt one of your smartest moves going deep into that rainforest with a Rasta..So ive been told...

yeah I know but I thought I was even more bullet proof in those days then I feel now today......LOL......but honestly I never felt uncomfortable or in danger one bit....they were all very nice and welcoming.....there was quite a bit witchcraft and black magic going on amongst the non rasta old timer islanders in those days....now that is some scarey stuff

QUOTE:" while living on St Croix I hired two islanders...one was a rasta man..... one day he told me he was going to visit friends and family and asked me if I wanted to come along for the ride......I agreed and off we went...depp..deep...into the rainforest....."

Some good weed I bet. LOL

Questions for iCroix IV

Mrs. JEK is now in the thinking about packing stage, so a few questions on dress. St. Bart's light or Disneyland heavy?

On food: please give me your preferred bookings for lunch and dinner for 5 days.

On other things: how many Euros to take, will my cell phone work, should I pack Ziploc bags. You know the standard stuff :)

Re: Questions for iCroix IV

1. Clothing:

American Beachwear. No jacket or tie required anywhere. I have been accepted in shorts and sandals pretty much everywhere although some gentlemen may want a pair of slacks. For ladies, spaghetti strap tops are fine although sheer or open weave mesh would be out of place. Alas, women are second class citizens on St Croix and The Propriety Police require them to keep Those Menaces To Decent Order hidden away behind a bathing suit top.

The bottom line is that dress on St Croix is casual and appropriate for a beach town. No uncovered bathing suits in town, nothing tacky, nothing horribly over the top elegant.

2. Vittles

Day one (arrival):
Dinner: The Terrace, Buccaneer

Day two:
Breakfast: Mermaid Resto, Buccaneer (included in room rate)
Lunch: The Mermaid. Why not enjoy the first day on the beach?
Dinner: Savant. Tres romantique. INSIST on the courtyard

Day three:
Breakfast: Ibid
Lunch: Rumrunners - after coming back from your Buck Island trip. Bathing suits and a coverup are perfectly fine here - even if you are salty and sandy
Dinner: Tutto Bene. A nice little Italian spot nearby

Day four:
Lunch: Something lite at mermaid
Dinner: Duggan's Reef. The Drunken Scallops are the speciality. Enjoy the breezes...

Day five:
Lunch: Mermaid (enjoying the beach your last day)
Dinner: Cheeseburger in Paradise - shorts and tshirts

This, of course, leaves out Kendrick, the best resto on the island.

3. Stuff to take:

As to question 3, no euros needed. It's all American dollars. The prices you will pay in the restos is the same as or possibly less than what you will pay in a big american city. As to cellphones, most "nationwide plans" do indeed include the USVI. And yes, our ATT plan does. Service should be good. Actually, service IS good - you and I proved that on my trip.

As far as other stuff to take, you can get a liter bottle of Cruzan rhum for $6.25 at the Buccaneer gift shop. Ergo, you are covered.

This, of course, leaves out Kendrick, the best resto on the island.
I have extended the trip by a day to dine at Kendrick :)

Thanks for the dressing and eating tips!

You are welcome. There is also the Christiansted Brew Pub for suds, subs and steaks. They also have crab races once or twice a week.

The problem with the Buccaneer is that the food at the Mermaid is quite good and quite reasonably priced. It makes it hard to leave that resto during lunch to go other places.

STX Trip Report

STX Trip Report

IV has written a nice overview of the island, which stands totally uncorrected. I will add a few points of my mine and perhaps emphasize a few of his. Since it had been 35 years since we had been on the rock, we really didn

Re: STX Trip Report

thanks for that.....if you check out St John you may never go back to St Croix....St Thomas you will want to leave the minute you arrive

QUOTE:" Fredericksted: While the downtown area is very attractive, it is also very quiet right now as there are no cruise ships. "

Very strange. Used to be a busy cruise ship stop. Too much crime?? I know the cruise lines are very sensitive to onshore crime- SXM has been threatened with stoppage- but I can't believe that NO cruise line would not stop there.

Not to worry Mon, Soon Come.

"Starting in 2009, the [Disney Cruise] line is mixing it up with two new Disney Magic itineraries that will include the line's first stops in St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Tortola in the British Virgin Islands.

The ports will replace St. Maarten on the Magic's existing eastern Caribbean itinerary."

There are supposedly two new itineraries being added for the Eastern Caribbean, with some including St Croix and some including Tortola. The St Maarten port of call will continue be on the Eastern Caribbean itineraries that don't include St Croix and Tortola.

Kevin: One advantage of stopping at Fsted is that ships can refuel for less than many other ports as Hugo and his American partners do not have to transport the newly refined oil off the island.

The occasional cruise ship will be a tremendous jolt in the arm to Fsted particularly and the island in general as it will put STX on many people's radars. Couple year-round great weather with real estate prices that have lagged the US coast and this could get interesting.

There is also a Miker Crowd on the island that thinks cruise ships could be trouble but it seems that most folks would like to see them return.

Thanks for the scoop.

Kevin: One advantage of stopping at Fsted is that ships can refuel for less than many other ports as Hugo and his American partners do not have to transport the newly refined oil off the island.

The occasional cruise ship will be a tremendous jolt in the arm to Fsted particularly and the island in general as it will put STX on many people's radars. Couple year-round great weather with real estate prices that have lagged the US coast and this could get interesting.

There is also a Miker Crowd on the island that thinks cruise ships could be trouble but it seems that most folks would like to see them return.

Thanks for the scoop.

A cruiser was in port when we were there. No mouse ears.