St Croix - For JEK et al

Island Visitor

Senior Insider
As a service to all, here is my quick rundown of St Croix:

In the years since JEK, Hurricane Miker and Andy left St Croix, it has grown a nice little community of mainlanders (Continentals as they are called), divers, sportsfishers and triathletes. Indeed the St Croix half ironman is considered the best qualifying race in the world for the super bowl of ironmen competition in Hawaii and as such draws many of the best athletes in the world.

St Croix has a late sixties/early seventies Beachtown feel to it with a little mix of Fort Lauderdale thrown in. At the golf courses (Buccaneer and Carambola, former Fountain Valley of dubious memory) you will see ageing fellows betting skins with their buddies. At the various watering holes downtown you will see Continentals, creoles, locals, yachties, pirates, rasta, younguns living out a buffetoid youth and people just looking to make their way in a beach town.

The vibe is very casual, very american. And while there is clearly danger on the island in the wrong areas, you just dont feel it in Csted or on the East End. Indeed, most of the islanders very much want you to have a good time.

As opposed to some islands, the locals are very friendly but do not have a servile attitude. I believe this has occurred because of the slow and halting development of St Croix. To date, the island has never been taken from them by The Man and they still feel that it is theirs. Because of that, there is a tremendous local pride in people who are warm, gracious and welcoming. The fact that people choose specifically to visit the island also goes a long way in making those on the island treat you as true honored guests, not just part of a horde that was disgorged from a ship

Hotel on the Cay is where I called home for the better part of 2 years...but that was when it was brand new...I hear its "dated" now......Commanche restaurant is no longer???..that was one of the better ones back in the day....and what restaurant is now located right there on the corner on the harbor where the little ferry goes to Hotel on the Cay in C-Sted????...it used to be a Chart House..and not very good

Hotel On The Cay does have that "worn" look. I hear locals talk about it not being the same since Hurricane Miker swept through (I thought it was Hugo). It is being sold as condos I believe.

There is no resto right on the corner now. Instead there is a tshirt shop and a few vendors as well as a small bar/resto nearby.

As you well know Miker, the "scene" changes pretty constantly on a tourist island. Former Greats such as Top Hat have given way to newer restos. But there are some, notably Kendrick, Duggan's, Savant, Tutto Bene, etc that have now been on site and in the same hands for many years. And there is a budding Resto Scene beginning to blossom on the island as even younger chefs are trying to make a go of it. Given the number of Continentals, Hotel People, Yachties and Pirates who patrol the streets, the restos all seem to do well pretty much year round.

St Croix is a curious mix of a lot of really nice things to me. If there is a cuter harbor town in the caribbean, it would have to be Gustavia. The East End is stunning, sort of a giant Toiny/Grand Fond with rolling hills. The beaches are good and the people are friendly.

When you are in St Croix, it feels like you are at the beach in America, except better.

Miker what years did you live on St Croix? My brother lived at the Reef Condos and managed Hotel Commanchee back in the day...late 70's early 80's he was on island...I bet you guys ran into each other if thats when you were there..did you ever meet a Windsurfing chick named Dee?? she lived on St Croix in the Winter then moved to P-Town for the Summers...

79-81.........the name isnt familiar...but then again....I'm sure I ran into your brother at one time or another.....if your brother has any recollection of the guy who was killed when the road gave way and his jeep toppled over onto the passenger...those were my crew members/employees....and that is a loooooooong story

Merci, mon ami!

Je t'en prie

Of course, I would be happy to answer any specific questions but the points I put up are a good start for visitors.

A drive around the east end is fun. Csted offers some pretty nice shopping - a notch back from what you would see in Gustavia and three notches back in price.

In daytime, you are safe prowling the main streets of Csted. After hours or on some side streets could get dicey. Then again, is that not true most places?

As to rental cars, there is good taxi service on the island and cabbies (who all drive vans) like to hook up with you and become your personal driver for the week. Indeed, the fellow who took us from the airport to the hotel wanted to drive us around whenever.

The front desk can get you a driver pretty much anytime. But the cabbies also would like to do some of that - shhhhhh - off the books and you could score a deal here if you want.

QUOTE:" Fredericksted: While the downtown area is very attractive, it is also very quiet right now as there are no cruise ships. "

Very strange. Used to be a busy cruise ship stop. Too much crime?? I know the cruise lines are very sensitive to onshore crime- SXM has been threatened with stoppage- but I can't believe that NO cruise line would not stop there.
I have had my fill of St. Croix- people are too nasty and the rasties are still there and thriving.

Andy: There are two stories as to why the last cruise line (Carnival) pulled out.

Carnival maintained that there was too much crime after an incident in which a couple of their crew were beaten up in a neighborhood that is known to be where you go to score drugs.

The Cruzans maintain that they were not willing to pay Tribute to Carnival. That is, the various vendors were not willing to kick back part of their fees.

I have researched this and when a large ship pulls into port, the kickback in fees (from tour operators, merchants, etc, etc) can run 40,000 - 70,000 per ship. That is Tribute that goes directly back to the line every time they pull into port. Apparently the Tribute in St Croix only came to 4,000 - 5,000 per dockage. Carnival had a contract but used the episode highlighted above to break the deal.

The crime rate in St Croix is actually lower than that in St Thomas which is one of the two busiest ports in the caribbean. And there is actually a list of the number of tourists who have been killed on St Croix. The number is very, very low - single digits over the last thirty years.

Crime in St Croix is exactly what you would expect - youth on youth over drugs and breakins to supports drugs.

In my three trips to the island, I have never even once been remotely concerned that I was in danger. So there is indeed an advantage to being Big And Ugly. Ha!

As to the people not being nice, I cant speak for your experience. But I do know that after Hugo and the depression it brought to the island, they are EAGER to welcome visitors back to the island.

Maybe if you were as nice as I am, they would be nice to you too?

; )

QUOTE:" Fredericksted: While the downtown area is very attractive, it is also very quiet right now as there are no cruise ships. "

Very strange. Used to be a busy cruise ship stop. Too much crime?? I know the cruise lines are very sensitive to onshore crime- SXM has been threatened with stoppage- but I can't believe that NO cruise line would not stop there.
I have had my fill of St. Croix- people are too nasty and the rasties are still there and thriving.

I am booked to arrive on the 7th and will send hourly crime updates.

The Terrace resto at The Bucc reopens on the 15th but the Brass Parrot (a/c, indoors, same kitchen) is open.

Would love to get periodic updates.

I am booked to arrive on the 7th and will send hourly crime updates.

Save yourself the time. Just watch out for those with dreadlocks and singing "Day Tripper".

?

In three weeks on the island, I think I have seen perhaps four or five rastamen.

I can see that many at the mall in any american city.

I happen to like dreads, some of my good friends have them.

368038561_377d8ddc10.jpg

while living on St Croix I hired two islanders...one was a rasta man..... one day he told me he was going to visit friends and family and asked me if I wanted to come along for the ride......I agreed and off we went...depp..deep...into the rainforest.....

one of the more interesting days of my life to that point....

he ended up going back to the USA with us and staying in our employment for a year or so.... he met a Delta flight attendant and moved to Atlanta to live with her......another American dream fulfilled....LOL

Miker back in the day,it probably wasnt one of your smartest moves going deep into that rainforest with a Rasta..So ive been told...