Anyone see the TV show on Private Islands yesterday?? Sir Richard bought Necker in 1978 for 200k...The couple that sold it to him,needeed cash to go b

Peter NJ

Senior Insider
$$ Necker Island $$

Anyone see the TV show on Private Islands yesterday?? Sir Richard bought Necker in 1978 for 200k...The couple that sold it to him,needeed cash to go build a strip mall in The States...How sad is that?? Today Necker is booked solid for the next 5 years...At 25k a day..They leave 4 days a month open for repairs..They also featured a Dr from NY who owns Guana and just bought I believe Normand,both in the BVI's..Must be nice..

Selling a private island to build a strip mall, that IS sad. Wow 25K a day to stay there? That's incredible! I would have to have good medicare supplement insurance when they presented me with that kind of bill, otherwise I would keel over dead on the spot from shock. Obviously it's a place for the elite. *Sob* I'm so jealous!

Necker is the furthest island in the photo. Can you see the pagoda-like structure on the hill? I believe that's Sir Richard's favorite place to stay there. That's the North Sound of Virgin Gorda in the foreground. We didn't stay at Necker but I was very happy with our accomodations at Biras Creek last January. The photo was taken from a hilltop on its property.

P1000143.JPG

Josh, do they still have the dingy boats they give you to tour around all the islands? My husband and I had a picnic on Necker.....and I can see Saba Rock , and did you go to the "Sand Bar" resto, that was so much fun!!!! What a great photo!

Also, Peter.....in the Grenadines, Petit St Vicent was recently sold from (the late) Haze and Lynn Richardson(she moved to Florida).......to Phil Stephenson and partner; Robin Paterson from Texas. (He a "former" lawyer, and oil entrepreneur. Or thats how they were described in a letter sent out to all former clients of the island.
Don't know the price though.

Yes, Linda, they still give you whalers to dink around the islands. Also 4 or 5 varieties of sailing craft. We sailed close to Necker but didn't go onto their beaches. I didn't think you were allowed to go there for a picnic without a $25,000 deposit. Maybe you are thinking of Prickly Pear or Mosquito? And, yes, the Beach Bar is neat. You should see what they are doing at Oil Nut Bay!

Hey Josh, just catching up now (after Aruba)....it was definately Necker, but I guess we weren't there long enough to get caught. I heard rumors that the Royal "honeymoon" may take place there!!!!
When's your next trip?

Next trip to BVI? No plans yet.
Next trip? Taking my Valentine to Richmond this weekend. :)
Next trip to the Caribbean? Antigua in a few weeks.
Next trip to Europe? Spain in September.

Awesome Josh, keep up those travels........we have a few planned ourselves, and we are waiting to see if our son goes back to Chile this summer again; if so, this time we go, and probably in September.
Have fun this weekend!