Apple Releases iPhone 1.1.1 Update [Updated]Thursday September 27, 2007 02:01 PM ESTPosted by arnApple has released the iPhone 1.1.1 Software Update t

JEK

Senior Insider
Apple Releases iPhone 1.1.1 Update

Apple Releases iPhone 1.1.1 Update [Updated]

Thursday September 27, 2007 02:01 PM EST
Posted by arn
Apple has released the iPhone 1.1.1 Software Update to iTunes.

The 154MB download warns that "If you have modified your iPhone's Software, applying this software update may result in your iPhone becoming permanantly inoperable."

Apple previously released a press release saying that users who specifically had SIM unlocked their iPhone should not proceed with the update as it may cause irreversible damange to your iPhone.

Apple's website has been updated with a new video that shows off the latest features of the iPhone update. The video is titled "Wi-Fi Music Store. Ringtones. And more."

New Features include:

- iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
- Louder speakerphone and receiver volume
- Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls
- Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
- Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
- Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered
- Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
- Support for TV Out
- Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
- New Passcode lock time intervals
- Adjustable alert volume

Update: Though it was hoped Apple would only be targeting SIM unlockers, the update is confirmed to have broken all 3rd party applications installed via Installer.app. On our iPhone that had 3rd party applications installed (but was NOT unlocked), the update reverted the iPhone back to only Apple-made applications, and the iPhone re-activated itself after installation (similar experiences are being shared in the forum).

Experience may vary, especially if your iPhone is unlocked. Unlocked users who wish to apply the update are recommended to wait until the promised re-locking tool surfaces

Re: Apple Releases iPhone 1.1.1 Update

New functionality is sweet. Just purchased the new Foo Fighters album over the iPhone and then loaded it to iTunes. Love the new double click Home button which I set to go to Phone/Favorites.

Sweet. I guess that crooks have to worry about the new update but I like the idea that Steve will continue to push the bar higher and higher.

Then again, talking about apple pushing the bar higher is redundant, n'est pas mon ami?

Sweet. I guess that crooks have to worry about the new update but I like the idea that Steve will continue to push the bar higher and higher.

Then again, talking about apple pushing the bar higher is redundant, n'est pas mon ami?

After the update applies, the iPhone restarts and then Re-activates. I think that is the anti-hacker bit.

So far it seems the update doesn't brick any phones, just makes either the 3rd party software to disappear or requires the phone to re-activate (unlocked phones).

I guess over the next week or two we'll know if Apple has changed things radically and made unlocking and 3rd party applications much harder to install. The challenge has been given and there's a lot of smart people working on it (never play with the fire). Considering the number of 3rd party applications that have appeared in such a short time and without official SDK's, I think it's a pity Apple isn't playing more open game.

Unlocking the US phone is another story, it's all about $$$. In the UK the law says that O2 has to unlock the iPhone for a small, reasonable fee. But the problem is that while in the US you can buy the iPhone and never activate the AT&T account, in the UK you'll have to buy the O2 subscription at the same time. Some countries (like mine) will be officially "iPhone-free" until a 3G model is out.

iPhone 1.1.1 Update Bricks Phones

topright
iPhone 1.1.1 Aftermath

Sunday September 30, 2007 04:39 PM EST
Posted by arn

Mac News
With the consequences of the iPhone 1.1.1 update, there's been no shortage of opinions on Apple's latest move to lock down the iPhone from unlockers and 3rd party developers. Before the update, 3rd party application installation on the iPhone had become so easy that David Pogue demonstrated its ease of use and utility in a video segment for the NYTimes.

Apple's latest software update, however, has made it significantly more difficult for developers to install 3rd party applications, install custom ringtones, and, of course, unlock the iPhone from AT&T. While it had been expected that Apple would specifically fight SIM unlocking software on the iPhone, there had been some early hope that they would choose to simply ignore unofficial 3rd party application development efforts.

Long standing Apple users may recall that this sort of lock-down attitude is not necessarily new to Apple, and certainly not to Steve Jobs, who has historically been against user expansion of Apple hardware. Even as early as 1984, Steve Jobs's opinion on user expandability was clear:

Apple's other co-founder, Steve Jobs, didn't agree with Jef about many things, but they both felt the same way about hardware expandability: it was a bug instead of a feature. Steve was reportedly against having slots in the Apple II back in the days of yore, and felt even stronger about slots for the Mac. He decreed that the Macintosh would remain perpetually bereft of slots, enclosed in a tightly sealed case, with only the limited expandability of the two serial ports.

Meanwhile, Nokia is taking advantage of this moment to start running "Open to anything" ads which promise phones "Open to applications. Open to widgets. Open to anything" (at nseries.com/open).

Early efforts to hack iPhone 1.1.1, or at least provide a downgrade option to 1.0.2 are underway, but Apple's position on this is clear.

Re: iPhone 1.1.1 Update Bricks Phones

JEK~ Another question... (I'm going in for a 1-to-1 session soon but you're such an online Genuis!) I synched my tunes library to the ipod-iphone, and am only getting a handful of artists showing up in Covertunes. I downloaded these songs on an older iTunes program and not through the itunes music store... is that the problem? But yet don't know why then those handful have covers showing up. I have since downloaded the current version of iTunes of course, in order to activate the phone. How do I get all these other artists covers to show up?
Thanks! ;)

AH -

I hadn't used iTunes prior to the iPod Touch. All of my music was in a library created by a different product. I was able to import the library into iTunes, but my library was also missing a bunch of album art. Most of it was filled in by clicking on the iTunes Advanced tab, and then selecting Get Album Artwork. That filled in 95% of waht was missing.

Another 3% was filled in by comparing the artis names and album descriptions in my Library to what was in the iTunes store, and making minor corrections.

Some of the music that I have is from artists who are not in iTunes. For those, I'm not sure how I'll resolve the problem short of scanning the CD's and seeing if I can drop a scanned JPG into iTunes. I'm open to other suggestions.

Re-synch your iPhone with iTunes after you've filled in the missing artwork.

AH -

Some of the music that I have is from artists who are not in iTunes. For those, I'm not sure how I'll resolve the problem short of scanning the CD's and seeing if I can drop a scanned JPG into iTunes. I'm open to other suggestions.

Re-synch your iPhone with iTunes after you've filled in the missing artwork.

Drag and drop from this link into iTunes

Thanks, both of you. I will try this. (I have used "Acquisition" program on my iBook and the downloaded songs immediately appear in my iTunes library...)

This "phone" is worth every cent! Just unbelievable!

Thanks, both of you. I will try this. (I have used "Acquisition" program on my iBook and the downloaded songs immediately appear in my iTunes library...)

This "phone" is worth every cent! Just unbelievable!

A and K,
I found almost all the art using the advanced feature. But could not find the art for Tony Romo the Singing Cowboy Legend :)

Just another question- do I need to have the "artist" and "album" fields both filled in for each song in the Library, in order for "Menu/Advanced/GetAlbumArt" to work? Because I'm pretty sure the new iTunes program tried that for me (getting album art) when I synched, and I know that alot of my songs don't have both album and/or artist listed.

Just another question- do I need to have the "artist" and "album" fields both filled in for each song in the Library, in order for "Menu/Advanced/GetAlbumArt" to work? Because I'm pretty sure the new iTunes program tried that for me (getting album art) when I synched, and I know that alot of my songs don't have both album and/or artist listed.

Probably the EXACT album name, but you should have picked up all that when you ripped them into iTunes. iTunes goes out to the Grace Notes DB and finds all the details.

While I have you here... lol... iPhone iPod cannot be played through car (jack)?

While I have you here... lol... iPhone iPod cannot be played through car (jack)?

I can but you have to put it in Airplane Mode (no calls) reason is that the phone part emits radio frequencies that screech and yowl into the car radio. Have you ever heard a BlackBerry "attack" a speaker phone?

Aha- makes sense. I'll just stick w/ the Nano or my Mini for that.

People should be warned, or you probably did long ago, about getting that ATT pre-approval code from the store before activating? I had a heck of a time- because I had a solicitation letter from ATT come in the mail with a pre-approval code (10 digits) and it would not take (needed 9 digit code). After being on the phone with ATT 800 number for hours and being passed around between sales/customercare/activation support, I then finally learned that I HAD to go into a store to get that code! I was at my wits end with the 800 line people!!

Aha- makes sense. I'll just stick w/ the Nano or my Mini for that.

People should be warned, or you probably did long ago, about getting that ATT pre-approval code from the store before activating? I had a heck of a time- because I had a solicitation letter from ATT come in the mail with a pre-approval code (10 digits) and it would not take (needed 9 digit code). After being on the phone with ATT 800 number for hours and being passed around between sales/customercare/activation support, I then finally learned that I HAD to go into a store to get that code! I was at my wits end with the 800 line people!!

What code? I just fired up iTunes, entered my current number and set up the ATT account. Never went to the store for anything.

Hmmm... maybe I was a "special case"? I activated and it provided a spot for that code- wouldn't work with 10-digit one from that offer letter- so I just proceeded without one. ATT ran my info (credit check), it then pops up telling me I had 3 options-- to go into a ATT store and get a pre-approval code, go with pre-paid plan, or try again with another family member's info. I then zip off an ATT store, give them my info. and license, and they give me the 9-digit code and that got me through the activation. Apparently, you get this readily/automatically when you purchase phone from ATT store.