Beijing Olympics Here We Come

JEK

Senior Insider
Just booked event tickets and hotel for the last 5 days of the 2008 Olympics through AmEx and they are nearly sold out already. We have always wanted to see an Olympics and going to China will be spectacular as well. We plan to spend a few days in Hong Kong before our Beijing stay and a few days in Tokyo afterwards for a full two weeks. Too early to book travel yet, but we are fully committed with a 50% deposit and trip cancellation insurance.

JEK: I was in Beijing recently on business. The change from the old China to a modern economic powerhouse is breathtaking. I stayed at the Grand Hyatt and felt totally like I was at the Ritz Carlton in Tysons complete with shopping mall. But a few blocks away, the traditional Chinese hutong (alleyways) could be seen. Traffic and air pollution are unbelievably bad. A windy weekend was the only time I saw the sky. Some touristy photos taken then:

The olympic stadium still under construction:
wVII0s2sY066+5ahBnf2inub+NYXAvFZ0300.jpg

Forbidden city:
xGb0k67z84CJ0n-KuYu-w3yrvwqmp3ez0300.jpg

Great wall:
e4ZvluXXC8M+MjbE6XY7v-yS0MYmbX-20300.jpg

Cattle transport:
KLwyphyXD1+z69YYfpZtC9HQCcfnxiDx0300.jpg

If you have questions about Beijing, feel free to ask.

Thanks Josh. I understand they are going to limit vehicles in an attempt to control pollution. Some of the athletic teams plan on wearing masks/respirators when not competing.

Wow, Josh...those are amazing pics.

JEK, that will be a true adventure and one I am sure your family will never forget...I'd love to go to the Olympics one day...We watch daily when it's on TV.

eddie: Here's a fixed link to the story on recycled, non-disinfected chopsticks. China has been growing at such breakneck speed that regulatory systems can't keep up. Except, of course, in censorship (such as internet sites) where, in China, suppression of dissent is a long-practiced art. You don't feel any of this as a visitor who keeps to the approved tourist routes. It really feels like the US with newly-built tall buildings lining the newly-built highways. But the traffic and pollution are worse than anyplace I've ever been and the tourist experience is a bit of a facade if you wander just a few blocks off the beaten path. If you just think about how they managed to do this, it is obvious that the government trampled over existing people's property to build what they want. The highways are ring roads around Beijing (6 of them and counting) without deviations for existing structures.

JEK: I felt like I had a raspy throat from the pollution. Even on the windy weekend, there was a feeling that you were inhaling particles. Many of the Chinese tourists at the Great Wall wore masks. Sandstorms which blow from the arid northwest are common in Beijing in the spring.

bev: Signs of Olympic pride are everywhere. It's hawked just like Coke is in the US (and the rest of the world). From the Great Wall you see this sign:

SZDaicBF0evgxp+zStVPi9CHVrN0WIe70300.jpg

If you have questions about Beijing, feel free to ask.

Yes, I have a question:

Who the heckle and jeckle gave them permission to change the name from Peking? I have old maps and globes that CLEARLY show the place to be called Peking. And has anyone ever had Canard a la Beijing? Exactly.

The Chinese Mandarin pronunciation is closest to Beijing - always was. Peking is a leftover from a poor Romanization of the name. Interestingly, Chinese still call it Peking duck when talking to English speakers.

Just putting the final touches on the trip. We leave for HK on the 15th and arrive in Beijing on the 20th for the last 5 days of the games. Follow along here if you care to. I choose TypePad for the blog as it allows iPhone and laptop blogging.

http://jek.typepad.com/olympics/

John, have a fabulous trip. Can't wait to read your reports. We went to the'76 Olympics from the Opening Ceremonies through the Closing---unforgetable. Since you booked early, I'm sure you got your choice of events; the early heats can actually be more exciting than the finals. Hope all aspects of it go smoothly.
Julia

It should be a great trip, JEK. You'll have lots of opportunity to try food you've never had before. There are even some Chinese-grown wines. Do you have a ticket for Olympic basketball? Regardless, enjoy!

and make sure when you try the rose eh to order some frozen fish from far far away....maybe a nice New England Cod or Haddock.....

dont forget..you have to give the government 5 hours notice if you are going to protest anything

don't pay any mind to those bullies, dad. just go and have a great time. i look forward to reading all about it!