Another reason to go Mac -- real estate :-)

JEK

Senior Insider
I'm a Mac, you're a PC . . .

imackeyboard_4_20070807.jpg

Another reason to go Mac -- real estate :)

Re: I'm a Mac, you're a PC . . .

Amazing isn't it. I guess the difference in price is the miniaturization.

The myth of the expensive Mac

Amazing isn't it. I guess the difference in price is the miniaturization.

I configured that Dell XPS 410 and the new iMac as similarly as I could to see the difference in price.

1062126898_2d3b91b664.jpg

1061264679_8ba0ced0eb.jpg

Re: The myth of the expensive Mac

You added too many upgrades- the Mac's 20 inch screen is part of the drive whereas the Dell's 20 inch is really costly- Vista Home Premium, the extra warranty, the card reader, the optical mouse- etc, etc. That system should go for under $1000 and for those who already have a flat screen you can knock off another $200- so I think $750 is about right.

who cares anyway???..I suppose if it were ski, fishing, hiking or cooking stuff, I would have the passion to care like the Mac geeks do....but to me a computer is just another disposable consumable which has become a necessary evil not unlike an electric can opener, cell phone, or TV, so it all makes little difference to me....I am posting this message on the boat from a $399 Acer laptop which is lightening fast, very good at grabbing a wireless signal from town when I am outside, where I can watch my DVD movies on, manage my iTunes on,manage my Flickr and youtube photo gallery on, send and receive my e mails on, and read the news on....PERFECT!!!!..more then that I dont need or want..and in three to five years when it s**ts the bed on me..I'll go out and get another new and improved whiz bang one.... on sale of course....I understand and appreciate Mac geeks passion and product loyalty and all as I have the same passion and product loyalty for other types of products ( wanna talk skis? ), but computers aint one of them....

BTW- when is soft-shell lobster season?

it already happened...they usually shed their hard shells on the June full moon...at least the ones here do

BTW- when is soft-shell lobster season?

it already happened...they usually shed their hard shells on the June full moon...at least the ones here do

We were in Maine the first week of September and they were in season. I'm looking at the same time frame for Newport.

I'll ask the boys who do the offshore lobstering if it is any different out there...here in close where I keep my traps...we see them moult sometime around the full moon in June or early July.... I think they only moult once a year but I'm not sure...it stands to reason it would be in September in Maine.... their water is much colder then ours is which must result in slower growth rates....

dont forget...in Newport..The Mooring Restaurant...right on the water...get the "Bag of Donuts" ( lobster, crab beignets ) and the Clam Chowdah....you'll thank me

Here how it works in reality..

imac_dell_reality.jpg

It's a pity that you need nowadays to attach a number of USB/FW devices on and off to the Mac, digital cameras, iPods, card readers, GPS's, mobile phones, whatever.

Long Story Short: Dell sucks. Gateway sucks. Windoze sucks.

A few years ago, I got the Smoking Bitching Dell Du Jour. Sure, it had speed and looked all groovy. But I kept getting sysmexe errors that referred me to some number that meant SQUAT to me - nor were they explained anywhere.

Eventually the sumbich just stopped working altogether - not as though it had ever actually worked well in the first place.

So I bought a Gateway and entered true PC Hell. It sucked worse than the Dell.

Lookit philistines, I have NO effing clue what "sysmexe error 37" or "unknown error number 69" means. No clue. NO EFFING CLUE.

What I do know is this:

You plug in an Intel Mac, use one of the Windoze translators and Windoze Just Works.

After a decade of having various Windoze machines, I FINALLY have one that works.

It's a Mac.

The difference between Windoze and Mac?

Windoze SUCKS and Mac doesn't

Long Story Short: Dell sucks. Gateway sucks. Windoze sucks.

A few years ago, I got the Smoking Bitching Dell Du Jour. Sure, it had speed and looked all groovy. But I kept getting sysmexe errors that referred me to some number that meant SQUAT to me - nor were they explained anywhere.

Eventually the sumbich just stopped working altogether - not as though it had ever actually worked well in the first place.

So I bought a Gateway and entered true PC Hell. It sucked worse than the Dell.

Lookit philistines, I have NO effing clue what "sysmexe error 37" or "unknown error number 69" means. No clue. NO EFFING CLUE.

What I do know is this:

You plug in an Intel Mac, use one of the Windoze translators and Windoze Just Works.

After a decade of having various Windoze machines, I FINALLY have one that works.

It's a Mac.

The difference between Windoze and Mac?

Windoze SUCKS and Mac doesn't

and this is what he does while on vacation in St Croix with the family......comes in here and debates computers and software with us......LMAO

Been a Mac guy since my SE/30 in about 1989. JEK, remember the SE/30?

Only use Windows when forced (at work). Otherwise, it's all Apple in this house!

What's a Windows translator?

Anyway, I bought a laptop back in 1993/early 1994 and went to a store in San Diego while there. I was looking around, mainly models with bright TFT LCD displays that were new at the time. I got help from a clerk that was quite puzzled when I said that I don't care if it's a PC or a Mac - I didn't, only the size, display, etc. mattered. Bought a damn expensive Duo230c.

I was using a SGI O2 at work and just needed a laptop to get connected easily, running X windows over a modem and like. Those were the times.. Around '89-'91 I was using MacOS and A/UX on a Mac IIx at work, which was my first experience with Apple for real (of course I had seen Apple II when it was current).

Been a Mac guy since my SE/30 in about 1989. JEK, remember the SE/30?

Only use Windows when forced (at work). Otherwise, it's all Apple in this house!

I have my old SE/30 in my office "museum" :)

What's a Windows translator?

What the vacationer is attempting to say is a virtual machine such as Parallels or VMWare's Fusion. BTW, I have both and now favor the newly release Fusion. Running XP and MS Outlook 2007 for my work e-mail. Very low CPU usage and starts quickly on my MacBook Pro.

I remember back in 2001, when doing an internship for the US Geological Survey in St. Pete, the wide variety of machines they had. At my desk I had an iMac. Down the hall was a huge server room, with Unix boxes outside for accessing large databases. And then there were a bunch of PCs for for GIS work. They had to have different IT guys for each. Makes you wonder if they could have done everything they needed with one type of machine. It was almost like equal opportunity or affirmative action for computers. I guess that is just how the government works.

What the vacationer is attempting to say is a virtual machine such as Parallels or VMWare's Fusion. BTW, I have both and now favor the newly release Fusion. Running XP and MS Outlook 2007 for my work e-mail. Very low CPU usage and starts quickly on my MacBook Pro.

What makes the VMWare better? I already have Parallels 3.0 purchased so I was thinking of waiting for the future releases before considering going to for VMWare. And it's more fun to support a smaller company like Parallels..

Not that I need Windows that much but I replaced the only WinXP machine in our company with Parallels -- running three copies of WinXP on a MacPro simultaneously and basicly doing the job about 6x faster than the dedicated PC. One can actually still work quite fine on the machine with three WinXP's running at full single-core speed in the background.