865466731_d4b274a0b4_o.jpg

Nice Harbor

865466763_45ede4f73d_o.jpg

Do not play chicken with these guys -

866406878_103d23c964_o.jpg

865539687_f1c88ec0a8_o.jpg

865539733_861274a3e6_o.jpg

866407240_95b87463ec_o.jpg

When one climbs above the ice line, the proper clothing for a 30+MPH descent is crucial(this is supposed to be the highest paved road in Europe according to the signs) -

866407082_2b84db2955_o.jpg

Andy,

The food and wine were flowing freely in France, so much so that I thought I would gain weight on the trip, but I didn't despite numerous snacks that included omelettes and real French fries. Of course there were also the huge buffet breakfasts each day and dinner spreads in the evenings.

I have about a hundred photos similar to the above but didn't want to tax the forum's patience. Our sheep experience was curious. After days of dodging sheep droppings on the road, we finally started running into flocks being driven on them. In a bizarre set of circumstances, we found ourselves one day uncomfortably surrounded by these creatures and were almost toppled amongst them as they continued moving forward oblivious to our presence. Those sheep were surprisingly nasty critters.

Beautiful photos, Tim. Larry and I really enjoyed them. The Promenade des Anglais.... the day of our arrival to the Cote d'Azure (back in 2003), we drove round and round (and round and round literally) in Nice and never did find our hotel there due to too many streets being closed because of a Triathalon. One of us lost patience ;-I and decided to do a driving trip that day so we wound up staying outside of Canne in Mandelieu/Le Napoule for our 5 nights. Still wound up visiting all the villes we intended to so it didn't wind up being half bad. Thanks for sharing your photos!

Cheri

Nice photos, tim. Biking through Provence (also Tuscany on another trip) is on our list of future vacations. Nothing heroic like Ventoux, though, for us. Wine and food would be an important part of the fun. Is it recommended to be part of an organized tour?

Josh,

Being part of an organized tour helps with several issues:

1. Hauling luggage from one hotel to the next.
2. Determining which are the best routes to take. There are absolutely roads over there on which you don't want to ride.
3. Reserving lodging each night of the journey.
4. Injuries or other road emergencies.

There are dozens of tour companies ranging from luxe to basic that lead tours in that area.

So, in English, I think that boils down to:

Even if you're not Lance (or Tim)
You still need a support team.

For mere mortals, the support team appears to be a tour group.

great photos - sorry I haven't had time to check them out sooner. Planning a trip to S. of France for next summer - probably the hills n. of Nice (been there 20-25 years ago - remember the Luberon particularly & the fields of lavender - you can smell it for miles!) for 3-5 days and then down to Ramatuelle on the coast. Any thoughts on places to stay/eat, etc. up in the hills -- but not as far up as you went! -- would be appreciated.

that's wonderful - have made a note of the towns - will check them out & let you know - this is planned for next Sept. (08) so we have a few other things going on between now & then! Did some exploring in that area about 20 years ago - so decided to spend a few nights this time. Thanks