Thread: I'm not sure how often people scroll down to the planning threads, so I thought I would post a quick reference here.If you're in the RDU - Chapel hill area and would be interested in having a forum ge

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2006 Apex, NC Posts: 292

RDU Forum Gathering

I'm not sure how often people scroll down to the planning threads, so I thought I would post a quick reference here.

If you're in the RDU - Chapel hill area and would be interested in having a forum get-together in August or any other time, please see this thread:

https://www.sbhonline.com/ubbthreads.../o/all/fpart/1

Thanks!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." --Dr. Seuss

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,583

Re: RDU Forum Gathering

I'm not sure how often people scroll down to the planning threads, so I thought I would post a quick reference here.

If you're in the RDU - Chapel hill area and would be interested in having a forum get-together in August or any other time, please see this thread:

https://www.sbhonline.com/ubbthreads.../o/all/fpart/1

Thanks!
    I saw it and I'm not even from NC.

Andy

Come on down and join us then! ) BTW, Apex was just named 14th best place to live in the country by Money magazine.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." --Dr. Seuss

Come on down and join us then! ) BTW, Apex was just named 14th best place to live in the country by Money magazine.
    And my town Nether Providence was named 9th best place to live by Money.

Andy

Great - I'll check it out.

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2002 pittsburgh Posts: 264

Nice to hear from those of you who placed 9th and 14th, but where we live,Pittsburgh,Pa was named FIRST!!! Just thought you might like to know.

Nice to hear from those of you who placed 9th and 14th, but where we live,Pittsburgh,Pa was named FIRST!!! Just thought you might like to know.
    You mean in your own mind- right?

Andy

Not just in my mind. Places rated Almanac recently rated Pittsburgh as the Most livable City in the US.

That despite we are burdened with that bum you(Phila.) sent the state as governor.Is there anything he has not attempted to tax?

Not just in my mind. Places rated Almanac recently rated Pittsburgh as the Most livable City in the US.

That despite we are burdened with that bum you(Phila.) sent the state as governor.Is there anything he has not attempted to tax?
    So beside pollution you got attitude too? LOL

Andy

Actually, I really like Pittsburgh it is manageable in size yet has a lot of interesting features and facilities.

I also like Phila. My son is in med school there and really likes it.

Now Rendell is another story. An absolute crook, taxer and scammer.

SBH Member Joined: May 2006 Greensboro, NC Posts: 293

Salem

I applaud your enthusiasm. As someone who has planned dozens of online gatherings, I know it does take some effort.

I would suggest making this Triangle group for the FWI to include SXM, etc.

I'm well aware of the feelings people have towards St Barts, but opening this up just a little would probably provide more participation.

Count me in as someone who is interested. I can be reached at charliehac@gmail.com.

As you may remember, I'm a 20 year veteran of visiting SBH.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 NYC Posts: 17,991

<<<Actually, I really like Pittsburgh it is manageable in size yet has a lot of interesting features and facilities>>>

Absolutely correct.
    Now, if they ever get the Fifth/Forbes project done....
    Neutral and Witty.

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2003 Beach Posts: 1,814

Sorry guys, no offense, but I think I'll just stay in Charleston, South Carolina, voted by several Magazines (over several years) as the Friendliest City in America and by many others(over several years) as one of the top 5 places in America to visit, behind NYC, San Fran, etc. I just like it here a bunch!

BTW, I love Apex and Philly, and I really like the Pitt area as well. Each is strikingly different with it's own unique character. What I don't get at all is the ratings criteria & how it is skewed...area by area. I guess when you release a Ranking, it is yours to define and defend. I looked at this closely and many of these communities are exceptionally nice.

Ric

Since this subject should never have been on this forum- I just slapped myself- NEVER MIND.

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2004 Greenville, SC Posts: 637

Since this subject should never have been on this forum- I just slapped myself- NEVER MIND.
    I might suggest why so many lurk and never post here are the comments on this forum that could be perceived as negative such as I perceive the one above. It's perfectly OK if you're in the clique to go off topic but heaven forbid an "other" should up front state why they are posting in a particular category, it's then OK be derogatory and demeaning, unless of course the "other" is perceived as some young, gorgeous 75 pound nymph that talks in the 3rd person, then I can practically hear the panting ... this was on another forum in another galaxy and I believe it to be applicable here:
    ".... I'm asking that if you chose to take part in these discussions or any others, that you post the same way you would respond to someone in a face to face conversation. There is nothing wrong with differing opinions. However snide, hurtful comments making or insinuating personal attacks are not welcome.
    And I would say this to your faces.
    Good night.

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Annapolis Posts: 4,106

Online Etiquette

David Pogue blogged about the lack of online etiquette here.

Here's an excerpt:
    --------------------------------------

What

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,671

Wish,
    I understand HE isn't nearly as toxic or demeaning as he comes across in this forum, but I will withhold final judgment until I meet him in person next year. Standby for my trip report.

The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

SBH Member Joined: May 2006 Greensboro, NC Posts: 293

Salem - this proves that no good deed goes unpunished.

Nice try, but maybe there is another SBH board somewhere with more members.

Interesting- I was about to get into a debate with George about Governor Rendell and I stopped because I thought it was inappropriate for this forum and this unleashed all this comment? What a country.

Andy

Spare me the debate. How can you embellish a crook and a slime ball? This state needs less debate and more "tar and featherings." That action should not be limited to Rendell or democrats. We need a lot of tar and feathers.

Spare me the debate. How can you embellish a crook and a slime ball? This state needs less debate and more "tar and featherings." That action should not be limited to Rendell or democrats. We need a lot of tar and feathers.
    George- cool off. Done is done.

Andy

Wow! I haven't checked this thread in a while and must say I'm quite surprised at all of the comments it's received, especially the derogatory remarks aimed at me by someone I've never met. The last I knew, Kara Brooks ran this forum.

I made a one-line comment about a ranking, and this is what happens? I've read through pages and pages of off-topic nonsense on this board before without ever complaining and would appreciate the same respect for a slight diversion.

If anyone would like to discuss the planning of an RDU SBH forum get-together, there's another thread on this topic posted in the Gatherings section below where we can go without "bothering" some of the old-timers.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2002 Here for our friends Posts: 9,598

Salem: I am a clemson man and therefore can't officially say anything good about nawth cliner other than charlotte, which is a city, not nawth cliner.

Off the record, there are a bunch of areas in nawth cliner that could be on ANY list of great places to live. And some of these are in The Triangle. Props.

But I didn't say that.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2002 Here for our friends Posts: 9,598

One more point: Thanks for the offer of a gathering, Salem.

Off the record, props for such a lofty ranking. Apex certainly has a lot of appeal.

But I didn't say that.

Go Tigers!

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2003 st-barthelemy Posts: 1,797

great! That sounds like fun. I dont think I can make it to Apex but how about getting together here in Columbier next time you are on the island, salem?.. hey Andy you are welcome too! lol
    rosita
    villa la baleine | villa les jardins d'Emmanuel | villa les basses

Sounds good, Rosita! We can't make it back to Colombier soon enough.

On another note, I think we all got our feathers a little ruffled (including me) on this thread over a misunderstanding. Apparently Andy was slapping himself over Pa. politics and not town rankings and my planning approach. As WishIWereThere can attest, we also have our share of creeps when it comes to local politics, so we'll let you slide this time, Andy! )
    Now we can all get back to one of our favorite past-times - talking about our favorite island.