did a male bonding nite last nite which included this movie.If you like guns, computers, explosions, car, truck and helicopter wrecks by the score, yo

NYCFred

Senior Insider
Die Hard # 5?

did a male bonding nite last nite which included this movie.
If you like guns, computers, explosions, car, truck and helicopter wrecks by the score, you will like this movie.
Starring Bruce Willis (of course) and some other kid actor that looks vaguely familiar....

Re: Die Hard # 5?

did a male bonding nite last nite which included this movie.
If you like guns, computers, explosions, car, truck and helicopter wrecks by the score, you will like this movie.
Starring Bruce Willis (of course) and some other kid actor that looks vaguely familiar....

He's a Mac :)

Didn't see Die Hard (but will).... I spent the evening watching the Harry Potter movie... Loved it !

DEBTor

<<I spent the evening watching the Harry Potter movie... Loved it !>>

Yeah, was trying to do that tonite but schedule conflicts.
Will have to wait til Monday...sorta makin me nuts.
I'm saddened at the end of the series...what an amazing world she created, and I woulda been one HELL of a boy wizard...LOL

<<and some other kid actor that looks vaguely familiar....

He's a Mac :) >>

How did I know that would get a rise out of you??...LOL

I'll be at Coles at 10:00 a.m. on July 21 to pick up my pre-ordered copy of the last volume. Guess what I'll be doing that weekend ? My money is on Voldemort for sure to die. I can't believe she'd take out one of the trio. I have a horrible habit of reading the last page of a book. I'll have to rip out the last chapter and have Rog hide it !

I would love to meet her. She is one amazing woman.

Let me know what you think after you see the movie on Monday.

DebTor

Saw Die Hard~best of all of them (ever stop to think the writers have a love affair with bridges in all of them)- this storyline was made for Bruce Willis *****

Oceans 2,474~boring, same ole storyline without any script thought-the writers/directors let this group of high quality actors down terribly **

Room 1408~I am a big John Cusack fan & was scared sh&tless in this movie, bad ending & John is better than this movie for sure *** for scariness

Devon & I saw transformers~really good & personable, kinda like ET in a weird way (middle class American suburbia) ****

It's hot here, so movie going is a real pasttime.

Ric

PS~Devon has never seen the HPotter movies, but Lu has him reading the first book. He is doing great for a graduated first grader...do you recommend seeing the individual movies after each book, or reading the series, then see the movies. Thanks in advance.

I always rec READING...the DVD's will always be there, but you have a chance to influence your child for a lifetime with the books...
someone did a study recently about HP's influence on kids roughly 8-15...50% "did not read for pleasure" before the HP books.
Don't know how long the halo lasts, but getting them reading at all is a good thing.
As far as the last book? Killing V-mort is sorta expected, right? I hate to think it would happen, but maybe one of the trio bites the dust this time.
I am so going to miss these books...and I repeat, I woulda been one helluva kid wizard....LOL

just got back from the HP movie. great effects, as ever, esp the cataclysmic explosions of the balls of prophecies...
they get better...whoever the new brit actress in the pink suit was amazing....don't want to give it away, but I can't believe the guy that died, died. Life's tough for our boy. Alan Rickman is also great as Snape...
I also loved the Weasley twins exit with the W in fireworks....thought the giant was kinda dull, and the centaurs unfulfilled as characters...LOL. good to see Hagrid back.

Now, for the new book.

Die Hard 4.0 has been getting so poor reviews that I've decided to leave it to the DVD. My quota for mediocre movies is full for this summer with Ocean's 13 and the latest Pirates of the Caribbean. The latter was so bad that we almost walked out of the theater. Spider-Man 3 I'll skip for good, cannot stand neither Tobey Maguire or Kirsten Dunst.

Perhaps it's time for Mr Bean's Holiday the next rainy day ;-)

Hollywood should get less CGI and more storylines.

Dunno...have 'Ratatouile' on the list for this week with some foodie friends...supposedly, writers were sent to cooking school to learn how a real chef might operate, and the movie is allegedly sprinkled with all kinds of references to arcane cheeses, vintage wines, etc etc...

will file a review if i make it....

A French Laundry connection to the movie.

sacbee.com - The online division of The Sacramento Bee

This story is taken from Sacbee / Entertainment - Sacticket / Dining.
Stew-la-la: 'Ratatouille' highlights classic dish
By Mike Dunne - Bee Food Editor
Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The release of the Pixar Animation movie "Ratatouille" couldn't have come at a better time.

Summer is ratatouille's season. The film takes its title from a simple, wholesome and classic French dish. Ratatouille is nothing if not a corner of the summer vegetable garden transformed into a light stew.

That would be the corner planted with eggplant, zucchini, onions, sweet peppers and tomatoes, the foundation of the traditional ratatouille.

In the movie, ostensibly for children but with themes, action and wit that appeal to adults, ratatouille actually plays a minor if pivotal role.

The story is more about the culinary aspirations of Remy, a country rat who lands in Paris and seizes his opportunity to cook in a highly regarded restaurant, a venue where rats generally are detested.

The ratatouille in "Ratatouille," prepared to seduce the appetite of the cadaverous restaurant critic Anton Ego, is an unusually intricate and pretty interpretation.

In the precise cutting and artful layering of the vegetables, it's the kind of ratatouille you would expect to find on a plate at California's most esteemed restaurant, The French Laundry in Yountville in the Napa Valley.

Indeed, Thomas Keller, owner-chef at The French Laundry, was one of the movie's culinary coaches.

For one, during a two-day internship at The French Laundry, Keller directed "Ratatouille" producer Brad Lewis in how the kitchen of a Michelin three-star restaurant is organized and operates.

"He called The French Laundry to see if he could come up and do some research on what goes on in a fine-dining kitchen. He needed a reference point," Keller said in a phone interview.

Keller said his most significant contribution to the film, however, was his complicated take on ratatouille, upon which the movie's animated version was based. "I did a modern version of ratatouille," Keller said.

In the film's credits, Keller also is acknowledged for his contribution as the voice of a restaurant guest who arrogantly complains that he's tired of the same old foie gras and challenges the chef to prepare him something new. Keller now has a Screen Actors Guild credit to pin to his apron.

At The French Laundry, as at most restaurants and in most homes, ratatouille is more supporting player than star, performing off to the side. But there are exceptions. At his San Francisco restaurant Fleur de Lys, owner-chef Hubert Keller -- no relation to Thomas Keller -- has sealed ratatouille in a crispy filo crust to be served as a main course on his vegetarian tasting menu. And for a large party at the Aspen Food & Wine Classic one year, he filled 800 eggshells with ratatouille for a dramatic and amusing appetizer.

For the most part, however, ratatouille is a homey dish presented without flair. Its origin often is credited to the farmhouses of Provence in the south of France, where home cooks would gather ripe vegetables from their garden to compose into an herb-accented stew.

But while ratatouille is straightforward, it isn't without controversy. While one chef will say that making ratatouille is "simple," another will claim that its preparation is "particularly long and difficult."

The most common point of contention is whether the vegetables that go into ratatouille should be simply stewed together or saut

'Ratatouille'

1. It ain't a kids movie, no matter what they tell you.
2. If you're a foodie, you NEED to see this movie.

I'm not, but I travel in a pack of food crazed jews here in NYC. Took two of em last nite, they laffed their tails off and proceeded to tell me how correct the film was from the standpoint of serious cooking...

go see it.

Re: 'Ratatouille'

Until our Resident Ethnic Chefs, Miker and Andynap, give it the Mamma Mia Seal Of Approval, I aint going to see it. Once they bless it, fahgetabout it, ba da boom, ba da bing, I'm there.

Capice?

Until our Resident Ethnic Chefs, Miker and Andynap, give it the Mamma Mia Seal Of Approval, I aint going to see it. Once they bless it, fahgetabout it, ba da boom, ba da bing, I'm there.

Capice?

The food crazed jews are enough to put it on my list :)
Peep!

I think Voldermort will definitely be killed off. As for one of the trio, I feel the same way, but hope we're wrong ! Maybe it will be Snape ??

DebTor

The food crazed jews are enough to put it on my list :)
Peep!

My little lutheran church is right across the street from the even smaller jewish synagogue. As such, we occasionally get together for services and fellowship. I like those folks. They are the only people on earth who are known to cook food almost as inedible as what we lutherans cook.

Ah yes, lutefisk and mogan david. It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Garrison Keillor had a nice quote about lutefisk in his book Lade Wobegon Days:

"Every Advent we entered the purgatory of lutefisk, a repulsive gelatinous fishlike dish that tasted of soap and gave off an odor that would gag a goat. We did this in honor of Norwegian ancestors, much as if survivors of a famine might celebrate their deliverance by feasting on elm bark. I always felt the cold creeps as Advent approached, knowing that this dread delicacy would be put before me and I

Capice?

I think you will be waiting a long time- animated movies aren't in my horizon- especially with rats in it- now my cats- that's different.

I have a four year old ( 4 as of yesterday ).....its just a matter of time before I get sucked into going..especially seeing it is in town now and the girls arrive Saturdsy