I have been accused of verbosity - certainly in jest - from time to time.; )Ergo, let me give a somewhat abbreviated Anguilla Trip Report:The Bomb. fi

Re: Anguilla Trip Report

Welome back to reality IV......did you make it to Bankie's, Gwen's or Eulodie's???? Tell me the new places to go eat, so I'll be ready at Xmas. Also I hope you made it to Oliver's.....one of my favorites, what a great guy.....and you are right on about the people being the friendliest ever. Yeah mon, its definately a different island than SBs!!!!! I'm worried about all the construction though.....LindaP

Linda:

Did not make it to any of those places. But the new Hot Table is Bananas on Mead's Bay.

Full report forthcoming.

I think your observations are right on. We have been over there a number of times during extended trips to SBH. It seems to appeal to a number of our friends that favor or frequent full service hotels. Frankly, AXA delivers or will deliver that product better than SBH - which is fine by me.

The construction is staggering. For better or worse they will have one of the largest concentrations of ultra luxury hotels in the Caribbean. I found the beaches to be spectacular but the interior fairly uninspiring. I miss the lack of a town as well. Little retailing absent what is in the resorts. Its funny, alot of hotels there book day trips to SBH for shopping etc... Glad you had fun.

QUOTE:" Its funny, alot of hotels there book day trips to SBH for shopping "

Not SXM??

Andy: It is already so easy to get to Marigot that anyone can do it on their own. The ferry is twenty minutes and twelve bucks and a LOT of locals use it.

Many of the people going to AXA these days are either Playahs or Wanna Be Playahs. As such, the idea of popping over to St Barts is appealing. And the local airlines on AXA make it affordable.

LOTSA glam and glitz rooms being built on AXA. God help us if Miker finds out.

No doubt- I think I posted that 3 years ago when we did our annual SXM-Scilly Cay jaunt. Alas Scilly Cay was closed that day and we opted for Shoal Bay East. As to shopping I have found the upscale stores in Marigot are just as good and cheaper than SBH and certainly easier to get to. Talk about reinventing the wheel.

When you are in St Croix, you are in America. The language is english, the customs are american, the restaurants cater to American tastes and even the prices are in line with what you pay in the states. St Croix FEELS American.

When you are in St Barth, you are in France (apologies to Miker who maintains you are not). The language is French, the cooking is nouvelle francais, the customs are SOMEWHAT french and the feel of the boulangeries and the men playing petanque at the head of Gustavia all are French.

When you are in Anguilla, you are in the Caribbean. Even though St Croix has the same percentage of former slaves as Anguilla has (the vast majority of the population) the folks of St Croix have grown up American. The Anguillans have not. Nor do they seem British. I heard nary a "Pip pip cheerio" the entire time, saw not one Bermuda short nor heard mention of cricket or bangers and mash.

From European perspective, unfortunately Anguilla does feel American. Every year they buy even bigger SUV's and pickup's instead of using the money to fix or paint their houses or even clean the front yard.

It's something very similar what you seen in eastern Europe. When you get unexpected money, you're more likely to buy a new supercar than move out from the parent's house.