Having just returned from 3 glorious weeks I had plenty of time to get through some of my book pile which I save specifically for SBH. Adam Gopnick,

GayleR

Senior Insider
Beachy Books May '07

Having just returned from 3 glorious weeks I had plenty of time to get through some of my book pile which I save specifically for SBH.

Adam Gopnick, Through the Children's Gate
A good read about the Gopnick family's return and adjustment to NYC after living in Paris for 5 years. A bit dry after his previous Paris To The Moon.

Michael Chabon, The Yiddish Policeman's Union
Just released, this novel is an interesting murder mystery based on the premise that Israel never came into existence and Sitka, Alaska became the Jewish diaspora settlement where Yiddish is the language and corrupt rabbis run the community.

Curtis Sittenfeld, The Man of my Dreams
A somewhat sophmoric novel by the same author as Prep, which is essentially a story about a young girl's college years and her coming of age.

Stephen Clarke, Talk To The Snail
The author of A Year in The Merde explains why the French are the way they are. A fun and perfect read for SBH that made me smile.

Christopher Moore, Fluke
A simply ridiculous and totally entertaining tail (sic) about the community of scientists who study whales and the concept of alternate existences. A fun beach read if ever there was one.

Kim Powers, The History of Swimming
The very depressing true story of a twin who goes missing and his brother's search to find him and reconcile their complicated relationship.

Marlena de Blasi, A Thousand Days in Venice
The true story of a middle aged American woman who finds herself moving to Venice for love with "the stanger". This was a perfect frivolity after The History of Swimming.

Douglas Coupland, jPod
An extremely entertaining and witty read about the lives of video game developers filled with lots of amusing wordplay.

William Leith, The Hungry Years
This autobiography of a man who struggled with weight loss, yo-yo dieting and ultimately self-awareness was the perfect book to read after one too many profiteroles. Anyone for the gym?

And finally I ended the trip with Amanda Mackenzie Stuart's thoroughly well researched and extremely detailed and interesting Consuelo and Alva, the story of the mother-daughter Vanderbilts in the early part of the last century.

Re: Beachy Books May '07

Ha Ha. I think that's what you asked when I posted my last book list Andy! In fact we went to the gym every morning, out for most lunches and every dinner, had folks over for cocktails, went to a friends birthday party, shopped the sales, went to the beach, checked office email (alas), and had lots of laughs with our friends who joined us for the first 10 days. But we both love to read so many late afternoons and early evenings were spent between the pages...oh yeah that's something else we also had time to do...between the sheets;-)

no matter what, that is an impressive number of books in that time frame...and I agree with you...lazing in the lounge chair in the late afternoon, curled up with a good book, some good music, and something cold to drink....is one of lifes great pleasure

Gayle- I know I said it last time- that's why I said it again. You are prolific or a speed reader (Evelyn Wood?)

That is a lot of reading. For my 3 weeks I brought:

"Redemption Song: The Ballad of Joe Strummer", a biography. If you have to ask, you're old.

"Little Children", by Tom Perrotta. A favorite writer of mine.

"Two Trains Running", by Andrew Vachss. I'm a big fan of his Burke books. This one seems to be a '50's film noire type novel.

"The Fifth Woman", by Henning Mankell. Part of the Swedish, Kurt Wallander Mystery series. In 2001, I was reading one on Saline. It was 90+ degrees. He wrote a paragraph describing Swedish winters. I literally got a chill and shivered. I've been hooked ever since.

I'd like to recommend "Kafka on the Shore", by Murakami Haruki. I read it a few years ago. It's a story that haunted me (in a good way) for a long time. If you haven't read it, look for it.
Another was " The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time", by Mark Haddon. An equally good read.

Eddie,
I really enjoyed Little Children. Then I made the mistake of seeing the movie which I rarely do if I've enjoyed the book. Our son who works for one of the large talent agencies in L.A. sent me Tom Perrotta's newest book, which hasn't been published yet, in final manuscript form and I would have taken it on the trip but the book bag was already full and the manuscript is large and unwieldy. But it's in the pile.

Thanks for the other recommendations. They sound interesting. I did enjoy Mark Haddon's book.

Gayle,
I think you'll like "Kafka". I recommended it to some friends, who also experience the same "haunting", weeks, even months, after finishing it. If you liked "Dog in the Night", I think you'll enjoy "Kafka". The young lead characters are similarly endearing.

<<<Michael Chabon, The Yiddish Policeman's Union
Just released, this novel is an interesting murder mystery based on the premise that Israel never came into existence and Sitka, Alaska became the Jewish diaspora settlement where Yiddish is the language and corrupt rabbis run the community. >>>

did you like it?
I loved "Kavalier and Clay" a few years back, and my wife grabbed YPU first...LOL

I LOVED Kavalier & Clay and I was so anxious to read this one...but alas, this one I did not love. Though I found the premise very original and intriguing, and the writing incredibly rich and expressive, I must admit many of the Yiddish references were lost on me, despite being an MOT. Also, the ending was convoluted and I had to actually re-read it to try to figure out a particular aspect. I don't mean to sound cryptic but I want to be careful not to give anything away in the event you do read it.

Let me know what you think.