• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Murder on St. Barth

tim

Le Journal is reporting there was a homicide in my neighborhood of Vitet. I've just scanned the article enough to recognize the deceased as a young man who lived across the street from me. Perhaps Jean can post the article and someone can translate it. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

455485697_ed26c2b491_o.jpg
455485699_80eb2e7cac_o.jpg

Tim...if no one else translates it by later today - Wendi can do it for you....she is out til later this afternoon

From what I could gather, it was a 23 year old Brazilian man who had been on the island since December. He was having a good time at Easter celebrations and hooked up with a couple of youngsters in Gustavia, went back to their house and a quarrel ensued.

He died of a puncture wound to the lung and it is being investigated by a crew out of St Martin.

I believe that the alleged perpetraters are already apprehended and being question - not sure about that.

Actually, it looks as though he had been camping at Toiny and was on his way to Gustavia when he picked up a couple of youngsters (?)hitch-hiking.

Where is Lauren when we need a translation?

Okay, I'm just giving you the general idea, not a word-for-word translation because I'm running late for my workout:

The deceased was a visitor to SBH since December, his parents have owned a small property in the neighborhood for several years. He was well-known by the young people in SBH as he went to school in St. Martin and had made several local friends. He was engaged in a business selling diet products.

First the firemen and then the police were called around 5:30 a.m. by a neighbor who witnessed the drama and discovered the body. It was discovered in a small group of houses that are near the old garbage platform (?).

A couple was questioned on Tuesday regarding the homicide and was detained. They were residents of Vitet; the guy was originally Brazilian, but he had lived in SBH for at least 10 years. He was known to have a knife similar to the one that killed the deceased. The knife went in under the armpit and punctured his lung; he died of internal bleeding.

How did it happen? Apparently, like many young people the guy was camping for Easter in Toiny. He left for Gustavia to prolong the partying. He must have stopped for a couple of hitchhikers and brought them back to one of the apartments in the homes of the neighborhood mentioned above. Apparently the car was very noisy as it attempted to go up the steep incline and it woke the neighbors. A dispute ensued, and eventually led to the killing.

Then the author asks a lot of unanswerable questions, like why did this happen?
The penalty for murder is 30 years.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn, a very sad situation.We've occasionally picked up hitchikers,as it always seemed customary.In recent years, however,I have seen a different type of young people I would definitely not pick up.They adopt the sort of "gansta" couture and demeanor i guess they see on MTV or SXM.Both white kids and black kids are among them, and I primarily notice them loitering around Gustavia, too old for the school, but still pretty young.

Boy, I must be jaded... 109 in Philadelphia so far this year, one in SBH in how long? It's sad, but I can't help thinking that it could be so much worse.

Mes amis,

It's my understanding that an accurate spelling of the victim's name is Steve Bouffar-Roup

Thanks for the translation. It is tragic in both french and english. Just a horrible tragedy.

I'm told that Steven's murder was the first ever to occur on St. Barth

Tim,

I'm sorry for the perfunctory translation, I only had about 5 minutes to spend on it, but PM me if you want a more detailed account and I'll put more time into it.

Although the article said he was a visitor, your point that he was around off and on through the years makes sense, as his parents live there. Apparently he went off-island to attend school in St. Martin, where he made a lot of friends on SBH (the article made the point that he was well-liked). It's very sad. I've been telling everyone about what a nirvana St. Barth's is, and never imagined a murder could ever occur there. I guess the combination of alcohol and anger translates to trouble no matter where you are in the world. I still feel that SBH is one of the safest places on the planet, this tragedy notwithstanding.

Lynn

I remember posting after our vacation two thoughts. Bringing in tons of guest workers, and keeping high schoolers on island both definetely and forever change the fabric of the island.

I am very sad for the family of this young man.
Jack

Re: Murder on St. Barth, en Anglais

so this whole thing is the result of a loud muffler pissing somebody off, and alchohol?

Re: Murder on St. Barth, en Anglais

Life is as life is. I truly, truly hope this was an unusual and, out of the ordinary, tragic circumstance. Let's hope I'm not wrong. Our condolences to the young man's family.