• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

In the previous posts regarding this topic, it has always been written that MOST restaurants include the service charge. Is it "most" or is "all" res

loriinstbarts

SBH Insider
Does EVERY restaurant includes service charge?

In the previous posts regarding this topic, it has always been written that MOST restaurants include the service charge.

Is it "most" or is "all" restaurants? And if it is most, how do I know which one's don't -- so we can give a bigger tip?

Re: Does EVERY restaurant includes service charge?

Unless they tell me otherwise- the answer is YES - the tip is included in ALL.

The answer is yes, the service charge is compulsory under French law, however it is NOT in any way shape or form a tip and the two should not be confused.

It is in effect a government authorised surcharge collected by the establishment and the staff will not see a penny of it.

Service=Service as in table service (i.e there is a surcharge for someone to come to your table, rather than for you to pick it up from the kitchen yourself)

Tip=Pourboire (i.e. a reward to the individual in question for being nice to you)

To make it clearer, in many French bars you will pay more for a drink on the terrace, because it requires someone to bring it to you, than at the bar.

It is in effect a government authorised surcharge collected by the establishment and the staff will not see a penny of it.

One could assume the charge will be included in the total income the establishment receives and from that income all the staff get their salaries.

There's very little difference between paying 100 euros charge or paying 80 euros charge and paying 20 euros tip. The service and food need to be really bad if you don't want to pay the tip. In both cases you'll eventually vote with your feet if you don't like the place. In both cases the service quality is more about getting you to visit the place again (sometimes they don't care), not about getting the pratically mandatory 20 euros tip. And does the 20 euros tip go to your waitress or the cooks that prepared your food? Most likely not but it goes to a common pool that's shared by the rank of the staff. Perhaps the person who gave you the best service will receive the least.

I rather pay the 100 euros and leave 10 euros on top of that if the service was exceptionally good.

I found Andy's (Hideaway) take on this interesting:
"I think that everyone should forget about French laws. As you know in SBH, we don't follow them exactly, thank god. The waiters are paid a fixed wage in some places, and on a percentage in others. If the waiter is paid on a percentage, it normally means part of that 15% we talk about, divided between all of the service staff. (on a quiet night 15% of not a lot, is very little). So a tip helps them. If a waiter is paid a fixed wage, it is the thought of tips that will keep him eager to please on a very busy night. Most staff have very high rents to pay, and as you all know, the cost of living is very high. My staff are well paid and work hard, but they still need tips to be able to enjoy life."

Also sprach Andy 11/24/02