• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Have just found out that under new French immigration laws, non EU residents, among other things, are obliged to take French lessons and pass a test.T

Re: Compulsory French Lessons

Gee, how do I get a law like that passed HERE?

It's entirely too much common sense for me to handle.....

Geez Fred, I thought you hated the French...can't believe you want to make everyone learn French... ;-)

the operative word in my post was HERE.
(and no, I am not in favor of compulsory FRENCH lessons here in the USA)

And I don't hate the french, considering Grandpa and all....they (the mainland types, socalist 35 hour work weekers all) merely annoy me from time to time.

The SBH types, I adore, and envy.

they (the mainland types, socalist 35 hour work weekers all) merely annoy me from time to time.

You'll love Sarkozy then, free marketeer and on the attack against the soft and fluffy, warm and fuzzy left. About the only member of the French Parliament not to have gone to the same "How to Be a Politician College" or to have been a Civil Servant.

If he wins the Presidency next year, which he could, there will be big big waves!

Jim,

Doesn't your lovely girlfriend work at the local language school? You're not really complaining about this new law, are you? Sounds like a goldmine to me!

No sure how many Americans come to St. Barth as unskilled laborers-
For France, unfortuneately, I think that they are a little too late.
In any case, we were able to get our cartes des sejours since we have income outside of St. Barth, and could prove that we are able to live here without working. We also own property, which does not hurt either. Still, the process is long and involved, and not easy.

I'm not complaining at all, I think it's a great idea.

Purplejeep, can I put a friend in touch with you?

Sure - send me a private message and I will let you know how - if you don't hear from me right away it is beause I am having power outage issues with this lovely weather we are having.