Calling on ski country-triple diamond expert

okay, got it, you answered my question about the adjustments, this is ski buying 101 class for me...I realize how little I pay attention to others when I'm skiing, so now that I will be looking at every pair of skis I see, this is really important, what if the boot I like doesn't match the ski I like? Yikes. Oh my, as per sbhonline, deep tans and long skis are so 80's.

Here's another thought: rent skis. I've recently started doing this after considering buying yet another set to add to the ski museum in my basement. The advantage is that you can rent for the conditions of the day. Fat skis for powder, slalom skis for ice, etc. I couldn't believe what a difference that made. Also, if you schlep skis through airports, it's a great relief.

hmmm, tempting. But can you rent nice stuff (like I have the nerve to ask that after what I've been skiing on)

you can rent nice stuff...but I dont know..there is a but lot to be said for having your own pair totally tweaked for you and all..plus the more you ski on them..the more you get used to them and the more confidence you have in and on them....plus I have custom lifters in mine and and I sharpen them with a bevel cut which isnt on rentals....but I can see Josh's point of having a basement full of skis and schleping them through airports and all..for me..I ski em to death for 2 years, and then I stick them in the snow with a sign on them for sale at the end of the second season near a lift....and I give the lift attendant a cut if he sells them...which he usually does...and they are gone just like that.....

Yes. I rented great equipment. Ask for the demo package. It might cost as much as $50/day so if you ski just a few days per year, as I do (sadly, after moving away from Colorado), then it makes financial sense as well.

Skiing on "hot rentals" is a little difficult, depending on where you are going to ski. Some centers, like ours, feature great skiis for rent and they are about $50 for the day. Most centers, though, just rent side cuts that are already 2 years old and most renters don't really know the difference.

I would rent some very hot skiis for a day or the weekend and then go out and do some research...just like we do here on sbonline when we wanted to rent a villa for our upcoming wedding this November on our first St Bart's visit.

I was skiing on 175 Volkl 6Stars, but they will kill you. Now I'm on 182 All Stars, which are even tougher, but your husband might get away with the 4 Star and be able to work it with his height and weight. I am 6'2" and weigh 145, and even at 55 years young, I still get paid to Patrol 5 days a week, schlepping a 60 pound tobogan behind me...and often another 250 pounder inside.

Do your research and carefully read the Ski Magazines that are featauring the new skiis and boots this time of year.

Skiing on 15+ year old equipment is dangerous and really stupid. Sorry, but we are so busy patrolling that when we see people with such old stuff, we STRONGLY suggest they go into the cafeteria for a hot chocolate...and stay there. Your skiis are finished -- the camber is gone and your boots cannot support your feet, ankles, nor legs. Do yourself a favour...if you like skiing at all, throw your old stuff out right now!

Lucky for us, we have never needed the assistance of ski patrol in 20 years of skiing. Lucky for us we have never needed the nudge of anyone to go sit in the lodge and have a cocktail...(or two) I love the feeling of being high in the mountain, with my man, beauty, stinging cold, pulse, life....you get the picture. The equipment has always been secondary in my mind. I have seen my share of bad accidents, and usually, it is someone with high performance equipment, skiing as though their ability matches the ski's performance ability...and they have overestimated themselves. We, on the contrary, have underestimated ourselves. It is interestsing to me to understand how all this time has passed, where did it go? I just bought those skis the year after we got married, could it be I will visit St. Barths for my 16th trip?

I am buying. The K2 burnin' love or Misdemeanor will likely be my ski. The old skis are gone already. I never once relied on this site to pick a villa, we dive right in.....

. I have seen my share of bad accidents, and usually, it is someone with high performance equipment, skiing as though their ability matches the ski's performance ability...and they have overestimated themselves.

truer words were never spoken...nd I like your ski choice.....enjoy!

what about boots?

Mike, I have not found the right boot, but I wonder if I'm getting too focused on it...paying super careful attention to the feel, with so many to try on I feel impatient and don't leave them on long enough.

you are not getting too focused...it is the single most important equipment decision you will make...go slow and be thourough...you wont regret it