Trip Report

tim

U.S. Air direct from Philly to Venice arrived an hour early Friday morning. The flight was a breeze, or to be more exact, a tailwind.

Took the train into Venice today from Castlefrance at a cost of ten dollars round trip, great trains in Italy these days. Walking around the city on this perfect late summer day, I am reminded why I love this city so much. Although not as crowded when I was here in the spring rains four years ago, there are still lots and lots of folks enjoying Venice today.

We're headed in to the Dolomites Monday. I rode my bike 40 miles yesterday to loosen my legs and have never had both cars and huge trucks drive so close to me in my life. I must say I'm looking forward to the quieter(if incredibly steeper) roads in the mountains.

Italian drivers scare me regardless of transportation mode. I like Venezia as well because transportation is more civilized. Enjoy your Giro, tim, and stay safe.

. . . have never had both cars and huge trucks drive so close to me in my life . . . .

Hmm. I'm thinking of the ride from Gd. Fond to Toiny and questioning that fact . . .

C'est vrai, I promise.

Today's weather was so perfect that we couldn't have ordered a better or clearer day if mother nature had given us a menu. Our route was around the mountains near Asiago, and the traffic wasn't as bad as in the Castlefranco area. The people are friendlier as well as we've moved away from the city. We've been climbing around 5,000 feet per day so far, but the climbs in these mountains should not be measured in kilometers or miles, but in hours. I'm a little fatigued and looking forward to tonight's feast and wine. I've never before experienced the regional white wine but have quickly developed a fondness for it.

Northern Italy appears to be a most prosperous area with well kept homes and yards everywhere one looks. Poverty seems not to exist in the areas we've visited to date. The views from the mountains are nothing short of magnificent. We see the occasional critter, notably today a caterpillar who was going faster uphill than was I(just kidding).

Most of the riders in this group are stronger(not to mention younger) than I am, but I've been doing okay so far. One poor lady has been struggling already and pushing her bike up the hills. That's not a good sign this early in the trip. Tomorrow's another day in the saddle.

One poor lady has been struggling already and pushing her bike up the hills.

I can identify with her after pushing my way up hills in pursuit of you on SBH :)

thanks for that Tim...its a whole different set of circumstances at elevation eh??....welcome to my world....best of luck to you...breath deep

I rode my bike 40 miles yesterday to loosen my legs.

Geeze, do I feel like a wuss when my ass hurts after about 5 miles!

Check his full schedule and prepare to feel really inadequate :)
Tour

I think it is about 100,000 feet of climbing in two weeks.

Re: Trip Report - Sixes and Apples

Two days ago we rode from Asiago to Levico Terme, a resort village around a lake. On the way we biked two hours to go one kilometer. While on one side of a gorge, our tour leader pointed to a village on the other side of the gorge at about our same elevation and about one kilometer distant. We took 20 minutes to descend to the bottom of the gorge and an hour forty minutes to ascend the other side.

Yesterday was a tough day to reach Cles, all sixes - six hours in the saddle, 6600 feet of climbing, and 66 miles. We got lost along the way, stopped to ask directions, and only later realized the individual we asked was probably a patient on the campus of a mental institute. Memories of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I feel sorry for one of our riders who appears to be in over her head, but I marvel at her ingenuity. She ran out of gas on yesterday's ride but managed to locate a train station to take the train to our current location of Cles. Most of us are taking today to rest our legs and butts for the big climbing to come.

I've never seen so many apples in my life as there are in this region. It was funny to see a sign at one of the large orchards advertising, "Red and Golden Delicous Apples." Is this American name a universal for that type of apple? And another question, how do they pick the apples all the way at the top of those flimsy trees? The terrain here is much too hilly for any kind of ladder I can conceive.

Tim,this is a long shot,but the lady in over her head,isnt named Pat from NJ is it?? Have a great rest of your trp.

Peter,

She's not named Pat unless she's biking incognito. She's now discovered that if she leaves two hours before everyone else in the mornings and takes the shortest routes that she can bike to our day's destinations. That means she ends up riding all day alone each day. I have great admiration for her courage and determination to finish the trip with us.

Holy Bikepath, Bikeman!

Last Saturday as we headed from Cles to Suisi Allo Scillar, we were planning on going through the middle of the large city of Bolzano, always a tricky feat on a bicycle. Luckily for us we discovered the most amazing bike path that allowed a safe bypass of the entire urban area. We must have followed it for at least 15 miles, miles which featured numerous bike only bridges across the river as well as bike only tunnels, some of which were several hundred feet long. We encountered hundreds of cyclists of all types and ages, so the path must be used by thousands daily.

At some point Saturday we crossed an imaginary line between Italian cultured Italy and German cultured Italy. I know this because at our destination, German was the language of choice for both people and road signs, and there were more dogs staying at our hotel than people.

Sunday was a day of 7,000 feet of climbing up to Passo Pordoi. Everybody that owned a motorcycle was racing(literally) up and down the mountain roads. Since we didn't see bodies being carried off by the truckload, one can only conclude the motorcyclists were all amazingly skilled and lucky. Their noise, high speed and passing other vehicles in the face of oncoming traffic made it impossible to relax and enjoy the ride - even on this, another one of our days of perfect weather. The scenery in this part of the world is so spectacular as to make even beautiful St. Barth pale by comparison.

Re: Holy Bikepath, Bikeman!

Tim,
Thanks for your updates. I did 40 miles on the flat last Saturday and I feel like such a slacker:)
My new Seven is waiting for me when I get home from Dallas tomorrow, so I have at least one birthday present!

Figured it was a longshot...She also goes by the name Trish...She is in Italy as we speak,on a bike tour..She is really into biking,and how you described her,i thought it was her..Enjoy

The Hills Are Alive....

The place where I'm using the computer today closed at 12:30, so I had to leave and return at 3:00 P.M. when they reopened after lunch break. Here's my continuing saga -

It's Sunday, and we find ourselves less than 30 miles from the Austrian border. Every direction one looks seems like the setting for The Sound of Music. I rounded a curve to the sound of cowbells and half expected to see Julie Andrews singing as she skipped down the meadow/ski-slope. Alas, it was only a herd of cows stopping traffic as they crossed the road at the direction of their herder. Udder den dem cows and one or two squirrels, the roads have been suprisingly critter-free.

The biker went over the mountains,
To see what he could see......

Monday we did a loop ride through Passo de Sella climbing and descending around 6,000 feet along the way. Passo Pordoi, where we're staying, is only 2,239 meters above sea level. At 2,240 meters, the view from Passo de Sella was much better. After biking, a gondola ride took us up to 3,000 meters, and on this, another perfect weather day, we could see the Austrian Alps.

Ups and Downs

Forgive my throwing all these reports at you in one day, but many places we stay are isolated hotels up in the mountains and have no computer access. We're in the fairly large city of Cortina for a couple of days, and at the insistence of my butt, I'm taking a rest day today.

Yesterday's ride was another beautiful day in the mountains with around 6,000 feet of climbing. The only difference was that the entire 6,000 feet occurred in one ascent of 2,000 feet and then another non-stop ascent of 4,000 feet. I know I'm being repetitive about the weather's being beautiful, but that's all we've experienced so far. One rider in our group was here a couple of years ago at this time and got snowed on. Since cold weather was one of my greatest worries, and I brought all the cold weather bike gear I own, I'm sure thankful that I haven't had to use it. The worst we've experienced was a half hour descent yesterday in 40 degree temps. The wind chill at 25 mph made it miserable.

For those of you following Tims very cool trip,the lady in question,was in fact Trish..Talk about a small world!! Our families have been cabana neighbors at our Beach Club for the better part of 45 years...

Fanatics and German Aggression

If you think I'm a bike fanatic, come hang with my new best friends on this tour. Almost all the men are stronger riders than am I, but I'm at least able to hang with the strong women riders. One of the nicest fellows on the tour is climbing at least 8,000 feet per day at rapid speeds. When he sits down at dinner to fuel his 6'5", 165 lb frame, all the edible items in his area disappear as in a gastronomic black hole.

After resting yesterday, several of us rode today our steepest ride to date from Cortina to Rifugio Auronzo and back. The big climb was St. Barth steep but lasted for 7.5 kilometers, total climbing of 5,000 feet. Our most dangerous incident of the trip occurred when we arrived at the restaurant at the same time as two busloads of German tourists and attempted to take our normal place in the line at the cafateria service. One would have thought a) they'd pushed the blasted buses up the mountain and b) they'd never before in their lives eaten a full meal. The three of us cyclists did everything but link arms to avoid getting knocked out of our place in line, but at least 20 of these apparently retired Germans forced their way in front of us. Based on our travels in Switzerland, I wasn't suprised at their behavior, which I'm sure was perfectly normal for them.

I knew I should have kept my mouth shut about our perfect weather. We had cool and cloudy today and are expecting rain the next few days.

P.S. Peter, I'll give your regards to Trish, definitely an impressive lady.

Re: Fanatics and German Aggression

Americans queue much more politely than Europeans. You can always tell the Europeans in the lift lines at Vail - pushing to get ahead of everyone.

Re: Fanatics and German Aggression

Would any of those men be younger than you by any chance? Decades younger?