Thread: August 23, 2006Books of The TimesAn Insider Explains Italy, Land of Cheery DysfunctionBy WILLIAM GRIMESIn Italy, red lights come in many varieties. A rare few actually mean stop. Others, to the Italia

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,673

Now this explains Andy and MikeR . . .

August 23, 2006
    Books of The Times
    An Insider Explains Italy, Land of Cheery Dysfunction

By WILLIAM GRIMES
    In Italy, red lights come in many varieties. A rare few actually mean stop. Others, to the Italian driver, suggest different interpretations. At a pedestrian crossing at 7 a.m., with no pedestrians around, it is a
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Annapolis Posts: 4,106

Re: Now this explains Andy and MikeR . . .

I wish I could find a piece I read decades ago by Jack Paar, I think. It's called "Sex and the Italian Driver" and explains a lot.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,612

QUOTE: "There is one rule, by the way, that cannot be violated. It is wrong, and possibly illegal, to order a cappuccino after 10 a.m. This is worse than eating pizza in the middle of the day. It is nonnegotiable. Discussion over. Rosso pieno. "

Absolutely correct altho Americans violate this unwritten rule all the time. The disdain on the waiter's face is unmistakable but to earn his keep he will say nothing.

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003

yeah but I gotta say....the book sucked....very disappointed in it
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,612

yeah but I gotta say....the book sucked....very disappointed in it
    You must mean "Terrorist".

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003

havent read Terrorist, although it is selling well in our shop...I meant Ciao America
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix