• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

CNN on Hurricanes... the good news is, I live on the 6th floor....the bad news is, a 30 ft storm surge will clobber my tomato plants, at the beach.

Re: CNN...it's gonna get worse...

Those who have pegged their "credibility" to this year's Armageddon Hurricane Season have to pray for several Cat 5s in the next two and a half months.

As for myself, I would just as soon see clear skies and calm seas.

the tone of that article..if its the same one I read...was more that we are way overdeveloped along our coastline and that is why it will be a catastrophic event, then that killer storms are coming soon, for whatever reason....killer storms will come whether there is global warming or not...the wildcard here is the robust non stop developing in areas at or below sea level...that is what causes the billion dollar disasters here

the tone of that article..if its the same one I read...was more that we are way overdeveloped along our coastline and that is why it will be a catastrophic event, then that killer storms are coming soon, for whatever reason....killer storms will come whether there is global warming or not...the wildcard here is the robust non stop developing in areas at or below sea level...that is what causes the billion dollar disasters here

Mike has it right. Nice to have the voice of reason actively moderating the board again.

LOL....uh...yeah.... right...sure.....well Im back in Colorado at my desk job again...so stay tuned for a lot more "voice of reason" kaka...

LOL....uh...yeah.... right...sure.....well Im back in Colorado at my desk job again...so stay tuned for a lot more "voice of reason" kaka...

IV and Andy have been running amuck while you have been back East. We crave some adult supervision on this forum. We also crave some island news. Slow time for trip reports.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to know that if you build on the coast and hurricanes hit the coast...

R U N

There is no substitute.

As to how to pay for the cleanup of all these future messes, society will have to answer what roll government versus the private sector will play.

Developing...

Miker is correct: Killer storms WILL come just as they always have.

If a killer storm hits an undeveloped shore and no one was there, will it be a killer storm?

No.

The rapid development of all the white sand surrounding our border is a guarantee that what otherwise would be a nonkiller Cat 5 WILL be a killer storm. I think we are all in agreement on that.

My comment was directed toward the hysteria that surrounded last year's storms and how Man Had Caused Them.

man certainly didnt cause the storms...he might have contributed to them however....to what degree??...who knows???...but surely you cant pour untold amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere and NOT think there would be some sort of a cause and effect thing happening here on SOME level....unless you're an idiot....

its the rich who are craving property on our shorelines ...so I say....tax and insure the s**t out of them to help pay for the inevitable cleanup...they can afford it.... let them pay dearly and carry the burden for their little oceanview that they cant live without

so much for voice of reason eh>???....LOL

Here in Avalon NJ the homes on the dunes are over 5 million dollars and they keep tearing them down and building bigger ones. There is an uproar and picketing over the proposal by a local Potato Chip magnate who wants to tear down and double the house. What those homeowners don't want to hear is that they are wrecking the dunes and therefore the protection they give when a storm comes. They have been spoiled by no major storms for 25 years. They need a lesson in humility.

You two are on a roll. Merci. I'll just grab some lunch real quick because you guys seem to have this thread covered.

Props.

Here in Avalon NJ the homes on the dunes are over 5 million dollars and they keep tearing them down and building bigger ones. There is an uproar and picketing over the proposal by a local Potato Chip magnate who wants to tear down and double the house. What those homeowners don't want to hear is that they are wrecking the dunes and therefore the protection they give when a storm comes. They have been spoiled by no major storms for 25 years. They need a lesson in humility.

same exact scenario on the Cape....the arrogance is astounding.....the only difference out on the Cape is that someone was wise enough many years ago to sell most of the land which has the really big dunes to the National Park Services..which immediatley keeps the greedy little hands off of that land

<<<They have been spoiled by no major storms for 25 years. They need a lesson in humility.>>>>

What they need is gap insurance, available but pricey, to cover what the fed flood ins won't....which, BTW, is currently 250K for house and contents.

We're all just jealous because we can't get one of these big beachfront castles.

Be that as it may, I do think that the lion's share of rebuilding these homes should fall to the homeowners who live in them and enjoy the economic advantage of same.

mon ami...the last thing I am is jealous....I give you my "summertime" day and evening view as evidence....its got more to do with being concerned with the big picture impact one has on where they choose to build a house, beyond their own narrow scope

213154627_d988428829_b.jpg

213551044_8232c369d2.jpg

I had them all over for a clam bake and a tupperware party

if you must know

<<<I do think that the lion's share of rebuilding these homes should fall to the homeowners who live in them and enjoy the economic advantage of same. >>>

Well, living as i do in a National Seashore, my understanding is (and this policy may be confined to Fire Island) that if your house is over 50% destroyed, you can't rebuild.

Between the town, county, FINS, zoning, planning, DEC, etc etc, I need 7 permits to pee off the deck.

Between the town, county, FINS, zoning, planning, DEC, etc etc, I need 7 permits to pee off the deck.

Do you have a wetlands in your backyard?

That is, BEFORE you get all the proper permits?

Fire Island Nat Seashore Home Page.

Noted NY mega builder Robert Moses intended to continue Ocean Parkway (which runs 4 lanes thru the middle of the barrier islands fronting Long Island) right thru Fire Island....my predecessors, the homeowners of the time, wouldn't stand for it, petitioned Congress and BINGO!