Dylan says modern recordings "atrocious"Bob Dylan says the quality of modern recordings is "atrocious," and even the songs on his new album sounded mu

JoshA

Senior Insider
Dylan has been talking to eddie

Dylan says modern recordings "atrocious"

Bob Dylan says the quality of modern recordings is "atrocious," and even the songs on his new album sounded much better in the studio than on disc.

"I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years, really," the 65-year-old rocker said in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

Dylan, who released eight studio albums in the past two decades, returns with his first recording in five years, "Modern Times," next Tuesday.

Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway."

"You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them," he added. "There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like ... static."

Dylan said he does his best to fight technology, but it's a losing battle.

"Even these songs probably sounded ten times better in the studio when we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it."

Copyright

Re: Dylan has been talking to eddie

Nothing like the old vinyl albums to show the perfection of a crystal-clear voice, n'est pas mes amis?

By the way, for you young whippersnappers out there, let me give you the Timeless Wisdom that has been passed down from generation to generation:

Things aren't as good as they used to be.

Then again, they probably never were.

And I doubt you can find a $500.oo collectors item CD case compared to the old LP album covers.

I probably like as broad a series of music as anyone with my tastes ranging from Old School to Juke Band to Doo Wop to Heavy Metal to Glam Rock to Folk Rock to Punk to Hip Hop and dozens of genres in between.

And I have listened to a lot of stuff over the years. I think it was actually Dee Snider on VH1 who put it best when talking about how some music is put down by folks who dont practice it:

"Well, I've never seen them plug into a stack of Marshalls and ride the lightening".

LOL. So true.

It is fine to say that you don't care for today's music. Hey, there is no accounting for taste. But when someone says that all music today is crap, they are just acting like the daddies and grandaddies they spent so much of their youths rebelling against and griping about back when they were Players.

Secret Message - use your decoders<font color="white"> Don't worry folks. Our grandpas and pappies thought that Dylan sucked too </font>

I loved the sound of LP's......but I also love my iPod .....not everything was better back then......and not everything was worse either....its simply not that black and white.....I love music....period....I can listen to anthing from 40's swing to urban hip hop and all points in between...and they all have artists who suck at it and artists who are good at it....todays music has some excellent artists putting out some great music..as they have been doing since the cavemen starting beating clubs against the walls of the cave to a beat....

speaking of music...I have Mark Knopflers "Shangra La" disc on right now...very tastey stuff

Dylan is correct. Modern digital recordings do not convey the ambience of the place the recording was made. A recording made at Carnegie Hall would sound no different than one made in my basement.

CD's were rushed to the consumer because of the amount of returns on vinyl, for warping, skipping, etc. At the time, the creators knew the technology was not ready. Still, they were cheaper to make and, the record companies could increase their profits. Most people use music as "background" and, the companies knew the change wouldn't hurt sales.

I have noticed an improvement in the mastering of CD's, beginning around 2000-2001. Anything before that time is truly atrocious. An exception are some Japanese and German CD's prior to that time. They are often quite good.

Still, I have never heard a CD which can hold a candle to clean vinyl played back on a good turntable. I have spent oodles on my CD playback system but, I almost always choose to listen to music on my 30 year old 'table.

So, for all of you getting rid of your LP's,and high end stereo equipment (especially tubed), I'll trade for photos......

I once had a Stanton turntable with a Pickering cartridge...if I can figure out where it is hiding....I'll let you know

Show me someone who thinks analog is better than digital and I'll show you someone who is spending way too much dinero on turntables, wires and vinyl. If I recall correctly, Dylan was lost in the myst for a number of years....I think I saw one concert where they had to prop him up. I'm going to have to take his opinion with a large grain of salt....

who in the world is stupid enough to pay over a grand for a freakin CD player????

*wondering how many people I have just insulted*

Mike, I thought we were friends. I spent over $1000 on my CD player ( it's actually 3 separate boxes- a transport, a digital to analog converter and, a jitter reduction unit).

Mike, I thought we were friends. I spent over $1000 on my CD player ( it's actually 3 separate boxes- a transport, a digital to analog converter and, a jitter reduction unit).

well despite that... we are friends....but I'm talkin about a regular ol CD player...geez I have a Philips player/burner that I bought many years ago for something like 400 bucks...I remember when I thought reel to reel was the bomb and played everything on my TEAC

Ricky- For $350, complete, this will outplay most $1000+ CD players:

I'll bet the selection of new records you can play on it is awe inspiring....

Ricky- You'd be surprised about how much new vinyl is available. Not only are new recordings being produced on vinyl, they are of much higher quality than before. Companies are using 180-200 gram virgin vinyl for the new records. The backgrounds are dead silent. Check MusicDirect.com or, AcousticSounds.com. They each carry 1000's of titles.
As a matter of fact, vinyl is the only medium that has seen an increase in sales, for the last few years. Due to downloads, CD sales are down. There are also more companies manufacturing turntables, now, than ever before. Serious audiophiles (those with mega$$ stereo systems) are usually vinyl based.

Vinyl is the only medium that has seen an increase in sales the last few years?

Gee, isn't that like saying the former nun from the convent is the only person who is now getting more than she used to?

I have never yet heard ANY vinyl, including straight out of the jacket, that did not have pops or skips on it.

Of course, I am sure someone will educate me on the fact that I need to use virgin blue diamond needles cut with a nuclear powered laser on a Nasa-approved dewobble weightless floating arm and replace the whole lot every ten hours of playtime.

Bag that. Where's the IPOD?

BTW - I dont mean to insult anyone here. Heckfire folks, I'm from South Carolina. Just put the dadgum tunes on and play them. We admit we don't know audiophile stuff the way youze guys do. So I am probably wrong. But I knows whats I likes.

As to Monsieur Dylan's claim that vinyl was the only pure medium and the only medium in which you could actually hear every sound, I have to say:

Even with vinyl, we still couldn't understand two thirds of the words in his songs.

I always blamed it on the vinyl.

Go figure.

Even with vinyl, we still couldn't understand two thirds of the words in his songs.

I always blamed it on the vinyl.

All the Dylan you need to know:

"You don't need a weather man
To know which way the wind blows"