The Cuban regime has just released new photograph of Fidel Castro recuperating.You can see it here - http://www.therealcuba.com/RaulPlayboy.JPG

Re: new photos of Fidel Castro just released

Ah, nice to see George W finally making a cover of some major magazine.

Ah, nice to see George W finally making a cover of some major magazine.

In fact Petri, the photograph is of the deadly (and hopefully dead or soon to be dead) brother of Fidel - a murderer, homosexual, pervert, alcoholic and otherwise an all around nice guy who personally murderered several thousand of his countrymen - without trial - his attitude is that trials are an "inconvenience". If you like Cuba so much, may I suggest that you move there.

george- Petri was kidding. Why don't you tell us how you really feel about the Castro brothers. Not to be confused with the DiCastro sisters. LOL

Why don't you tell us how you really feel about the Castro brothers.

Probably the way many Europeans felt about Hermann Goering and Adolph Hitler.

george- Petri was kidding. Why don't you tell us how you really feel about the Castro brothers. Not to be confused with the DiCastro sisters. LOL

Andy

How I feel about the Castro brothers can fill a book or two, none of it nice.
The fact is that in April 1961 the Castro brothers assassinated two of my cousins - one was 16 and the other, his brother, was 18 years old. It was and is still no laughing matter. Their crime - alleged collaboration with the USA CIA. No trial, no evidence - murdered at El Paredon (firing squad).

There are now approx 27 Cuban independent journalists in prison - a country with about 11 million people. The next most repressive regime for journalists, with 32 independent journalists in prison is China, a country with more than 1 billion population - DUH - Cuba is a great country and the Castro brothers are real nice guys. Give me a break please.

george: You have to remember that Phonetapping Dubya is The Great Satan to many people while The Castro Boys are quaint old guys just trying to get along despite the meanspiritted US embargo.

At least that is the story some folks tell.

(Sorry to hear about your cousins. Alas, I doubt there are many Cubans who can't relate to your loss).

george- I completely understand your angst, bile and pain. I know where you came from and the agony undergone by your family. Glad you are here where we can share the wealth of freedoms not given in many places. BTW- there was a news article this morning about what happens to the Cuban groups who have been held together by a mutual hatred of Castro when he dies. First there is unbridled joy and then WHAT? Very interesting.

Good question Andynap.

Some people think that The Next Communist In Line will take over - not doubt bankrolled by Chavez.

If there are free elections, then I look for a true Latin American donnybrook with various groups scrapping for power. A country such as that needs a Jeffersonian hand at the wheel but usually ends up getting a Strongman.

There will be numerous cries from The Usual Suspects for Americans to stay out of local politics after the Castros are gone. I can hear the EU getting particularly indignant over any American other than former President Carter exercising any influence in Cuba.

So who will be The Player? Whomever Chavez picks unless we help someone else come to power (yes, we're talking MONEY here).

The article was not about Cuba or Castro but the anti- Castro groups here and whether they will disband after Fidel dies. Sort of like the day after Christmas- a big let-down.

The article was not about Cuba or Castro but the anti- Castro groups here and whether they will disband after Fidel dies. Sort of like the day after Christmas- a big let-down.

My sense is that it is not just about the Castro brothers - it is about the repressive regime that came with them and I don't foresee anti-Castro groups disbanding or becoming less active when both Castro brothers have expired. I think that is when things will become more interesting - no Castro brothers to rule and the subsequent power play between the remaining reins of power - the military hierarcy vs the younger officer corps etc.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

We've been to Cuba once a few years ago together with a salsa school group. They had a lot of contacts with the locals and we spent a lot of time with them. One night we paid for the food and they organized a party of us, a room full of very nice, curious and lively people. We never talked with anyone about politics. I can't change the political system and it's not a good reason to ban the whole country and their people, but we met so many great people with true spirit for life that I felt very much "pro-cubans" -- not the country but the average people. It's good to see that they haven't lost hope or spirit under the circumstances.

I don't like to US embargo against Cuba as it doesn't do anyone any good, pretty much the opposite and it won't change anything. If US would really want Cuba to become free, they'd let free trade with Cuba so that the average cuban would benefit and see the benefits of free world. Democracy by force doesn't seem to work anywhere.

I do hope the country will change over the years to become a normal, free country (if there's such). For the people there who are not responsible for the political mess, I hope everything will happen peacefully and without major incidents. I would hate to see Cuba turn into another Haiti or Domican Republic that would not do good for anyone. I also hope they'll take the french approach and save a lot of their culture from western influence.

Living next to Russia and Estonia we've seen our fair share of communist influence. I was also responsible for running the internet gateway to both places in the early days, help them to get access to something we now take for granted.

PS. We actually do plan to visit Cuba again, perhaps next year. My girlfriend won the 2. place for our national amateur salsa competition and she knows quite a few cubans now living here through the salsa schools.

Democracy by force doesn't seem to work anywhere.

It seems to be doing okay in Germany (including the former "both" germanies), Italy, France, Poland, and a host of other countries that are only democracies today because of force rendered in the past.

My gut feeling is that cuba will NOT go the way of Haiti. There are too many natural advantages.

If the next president were some retired Hilton CEO, there would be five to ten tumultuous years (as there always are in a paradygm shift) and then the entire country would look like Industrial Park meets Agrinirvana meets South Beach meets Paradise Island.

All with a sassy Latin flare.

Count me in!

Petri

The embargo does not affect exports from the USA of food and medicines. In fact the USA is Cuba's 4th largest trading partner. The only obstacle to trading food and medicines with Cuba is that it must be done on cash basis (i.e. no credit). Considering Cuba's poor record in repaying what they have purchased from other countries on credit, this condition is not at all unusual.

Unfortunately, most if not all of the food products shipped from the USA to Cuba do not benefit the average Cuban - for the most part they are used to feed tourists, and are available at the hard currency stores where the vast majority of Cubans can not shop because they have no access to foreign currency.

The embargo also prevents from non-US companies doing business with Cuba if they also want to do business with US (at least in theory). Anyway, for "some odd reason" US has never had such a policy with e.g. China.

I don't know if things have changed over the last year but at least couple of years ago the products at the "hard currency stores" were mostly electronics and other non-vital items, the food elsewhere was much better (relatively speaking). I bought a 15-year-old Matusalem there and to my disappointment it was "Made in the US", not the real cuban stuff which I later purchased in Spain. We also ate much better food at the local's homes (they are happy to cook for you for $5-$10 per head) for less than any of the government restaurants. In fact the food at their homes was well above any basic diner anywhere.

The restaured part of old Havanna was my far the most historical place we've ever been to in the central America or Caribbean, including southern parts of US (or all of US for that matter). They also have a dozen of restaured old spanish mansions as hotels, excellent value ($100/night) and worth the visit as they'd be well above $500/night if they were in Spain. I would rather see the country develop from what it's now (culturally) than see it convert into another adult's Las Vegas Disneyland with braindead tourists. The latter is a real threat as it's next to the US and Mexico hasn't been quite Caribbean enough for that to happen. Living next to Tallinn, Estonia, has given us a good example. You can see the british people flying in every weekend for brainless partying, yelling for no reason, pissing into cabriolets, and flying back on sunday without having any memory of where they've been for the weekend.

The official public picture (on either side of the curtain) and what you see locally there are vastly different, no doubt neither one is the actual truth.

Petri:

To our knowledge, China has never parked nuclear missiles fifty miles off our coast, funded insurrections throughout Africa, emptied its prisons and dumped them into our country or tried to form a regional block in the caribbean basin against us.

But beyond all that, we are told that communism is just as valid as capitalism as a form or government. If that is so, then why on God's green earth would Cuba even CARE that we had an embargo against them? We aren't closing their ports. We aren't forbidding them to trade with other people. We just aren't trading with them ourselves.

Cuba's wretched economic condition is due to its wretched government policies. When everyone in the world - save us - is free to trade with them, we are a nonplayer in their economy. They have only their leaders to blame for their condition. We, having nothing to do with them, have nothing to do with their condition.

An embargo is not a blockade - big difference. And an embargo with the loopholes permitting medicines and food to be exported to Cuba is an embargo with few teeth. The problems in Cuba, with a large portion of the population forced to live with only obtaining those goods available on their ration card, is due primarily to the internal embargo of the regime - it has precious little to do with whether we trade with them or not.

George,
Your trade statistics in an earlier post were very surprising. When did the embargo lift for food and medicines?