LATimesWINE & SPIRITSThe $10 sweet spotAround the world in a bottle of wine: Where $10 buys you a first-class ticket.By Corie BrownTimes Staff WriterA

JEK

Senior Insider
"A great $10 bottle is the holy grail of wine," .

LATimes
WINE & SPIRITS

The $10 sweet spot
Around the world in a bottle of wine: Where $10 buys you a first-class ticket.
By Corie Brown
Times Staff Writer

August 16, 2006

EVERY wine lover wants it. Every host has to have it. "A great $10 bottle is the holy grail of wine," says Randy Clement, an owner of Silverlake Wine.

That's because for most people who buy and drink wine, $10 somehow feels like the right amount to spend on a bottle most of the time. Sure, there are the serious wine aficionados who think nothing of spending $40 or $50, or even $100, on a bottle for Saturday night. But for most of us, $10 is what Kyle Meyer, wine buyer for Wine Exchange in Orange, calls "the magic number"

Re: "A great $10 bottle is the holy grail of wine," .

personnel_grand_photo2.jpg

...bbq'ued sanglier?

Although we still try (and succeed now and again), to find good stuff at $10, $15 is now our target price point for a weeknight quaffer. We've been gulping down lot of Kilikanoon 'Killerman's Run' Shiraz / Grenache.

I agree that $15 is the new $10. You can find some stuff stateside for under ten dollars but you pays your money and you takes your chances.

I'm headed for the NH Lakes Region in a few minutes. I think I'll pick up a case of Ferrari Carrano Fume Blanc along the way. It's currently on sale for $14.99, and it's a very nice $15 wine.

Re: "A great $10 bottle is the holy grail of wine,

I'm headed for the NH Lakes Region in a few minutes. I think I'll pick up a case of Ferrari Carrano Fume Blanc along the way. It's currently on sale for $14.99, and it's a very nice $15 wine.

... and only $16 at the winery where they have no advertising or distribution costs ...

wIt5kA-eQdR-fX90p8FG845uWGYKO7lk0300.jpg

Say hi to my mother in law atop the mountain in Gilford overlooking Lake Win............... I can never spell it right so why try.

Oh ya, the 3 Buck Chuck is good this year.

New Zealand wines

August 22, 2006
New Zealand Wine Exports Hit Record
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 9:21 a.m. ET

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- New Zealand wine exports topped half a billion New Zealand dollars ($320 million) for the first time in the year ended June 30, the New Zealand Winegrowers annual report said Tuesday.

The value of wine exports increased 18 percent over 2005 exports to 512 million New Zealand dollars ($328 million), said the industry's just-published annual review.

Exports of the pinot noir variety grew 55 percent to overtake chardonnay as New Zealand's second most exported wine style behind top export variety, sauvignon blanc.

Domestic and export wine sales topped 26 million gallons and the 2006 grape harvest of 204,000 short tons was a record -- 11 percent up on the 2004 record of 181,000 short tons.

Winegrowers chairman Brian Vieceli said exports were forecast to surge 17 percent to more than 18.2 million gallons in 2007 from around 15.6 million gallons in 2006.

Despite wine gluts around the world for some varieties, there was still unfulfilled demand for New Zealand wine, particularly top variety, sauvignon blanc, he noted.

The wine industry had achieved solid growth in key export markets, while also growing in emerging markets such as Japan, Holland and Ireland.

''The record 2006 harvest will give us wine volumes to consolidate our presence in new markets and continue supply of our top three markets including the U.K., USA. and Australia,'' Vieceli said.

Vineyard plantings were expected to expand by 36 percent to 74,000 acres by 2010 from the current planted level of 54,300 acres, he noted.