• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

DH and I are planning our first trip to SBH (celebrating 3rd yr wedding anniversary) 1st week of Dec. and are considering either Christopher Hotel or

milette

Christoper Hotel vs. Village St. Jean

DH and I are planning our first trip to SBH (celebrating 3rd yr wedding anniversary) 1st week of Dec. and are considering either Christopher Hotel or Village St. Jean. We would like to keep it under $350/night if possible. Which is better in terms of service, views, accomodations & location? Are the rooms/cottages well decorated? Which of the 2 is more lavish? We checked out Eden Rock but it's fully booked. Would have loved to stay there. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Christoper Hotel vs. Village St. Jean

Location, location, location : VSJ in St. Jean.

If you can afford the ER you can afford the Isle De France. Take a look- it's on my favorite beach- Flamands. IV stayed there his first time- right IV?

Let me get this right....you want to keep it under 350 dollars and would love to stay at Eden Rock in high season. You must not have checked the prices...NOOOOO WAY are you getting in there for that kind of money at the Rock. You might even have trouble getting that price at the Christopher. Village St. Jean top rooms go for over 500 dollars in high season, but they have many price points. You can stay there for under 200/night to over 500 dollars/night.
The Christopher is more "lavish" and has more services...like being waited on around the pool. The pool is much larger at the Christopher and I'd say better than VSJ. There is nothing wrong with the accomodations at VSJ, but not as well "decorated" as the Christopher. VSJ has a kitchenette that comes in handy. Views, I'd say that the cottage we always book at VSJ beats the views of any of the rooms at the Christopher and much more private. Location...just depends...I like VSJ location in the middle of the action. Nothing is really that far, but personally I rarely go east of St. Jean unless it was for a particular restaurant. VSJ is VERY convenient. Bottomline...I would pick VSJ just because of the location, but I don't think you would be disappointed at either though.

If you can afford the ER you can afford the Isle De France. Take a look- it's on my favorite beach- Flamands. IV stayed there his first time- right IV?

Yep. Loved it. No real outdoor privacy for "those who like that sort of thing". But the place, and people, are first rate.

Mike, which cottage did you book at VSJ with great views? Is that the deluxe cottage w/ terrace? We're actually going to SBH on Dec. 2-10, which is just before the official "high season" begins so prices are a bit lower then. Eden Rock has great promo fares including those dates otherwise we couldn't afford their regular rates. Thanks!

We have been going to VSJ for longer than I can count( SBH since '85- 3 times at VSJ this year alone) We also know the Chris- great place for lunch
My only hesitation in recommending a "newbie" to VSJ is - maybe sometime we won't get our cottage if we "pump it too much"(my fear about everything I say about SBH on this site, and why I don't say as much as some !!)
You won't go wrong
Tell Catherine that Lloyd and Mike suggested it(seriously-all you need to say !!)
l
L

My only hesitation in recommending a "newbie" to VSJ is - maybe sometime we won't get our cottage if we "pump it too much"(my fear about everything I say about SBH on this site, and why I don't say as much as some !!)
Ha!!!!!!!!! You not getting your cottage...NEVER going to happen....Catherine would never allow it!

Equinoxa,

We had almost this exact same discussion last month comparing the two hotels, and you can find it here.

equinoxa,
We've stayed at both places and both places have so many positives that it's basically a coin flip. You'll enjoy both places so just make a list of the things you think are important to you...research both places and see which one meets your checklist the closest.
Eric

Equinoxa,

We had almost this exact same discussion last month comparing the two hotels, and you can find it here.

Tim, you are a true SearchEngine :)

Thanks all for your help! Much appreciated. Sounds like we can't go wrong with either choice and based on your thoughts. Can't wait!

Equinoxa,

Tim, you are a true SearchEngine :)

A gray-bearded Google am I. Now if I could just master that right click thingie....