Andiamo l'Italia

andynap

Senior Insider
Since nobody ever scores I predict Italy by a noodle. LOL

Italy 1
France sucks- oh mi scuzzi- 0.

Really, guys, aside from the international element here on the forums, who cares?
How bout them Mets?

I just got back from London, and believe me there are millions of people who care :)

As to baseball, you know, I might like it if:

1. The season weren't endless

2. The guys quit scratching their bung

3. The best players weren't constantly accused of cheating

4. The commissioner had enough sense to recognize that Pete Rose really did have a pretty decent career

5. Whenever the TV announcer started talking about so and so being "A great baseball man" they would show a fellow who could actually still see his toes

6. Fellows didn't start mailing in their results by All Star break once the pennants were all but decided

7. Free agency had not turned the concept of "team" into nothing more than a loose gaggle of dusty businessmen who were just passing through on their way to a better contract

8. Moronic managers did not spend interminable amounts of time strategizing by going lefty-righty and taking the bat out of some hot-hitter's hand to give it to a pinch hitter whose success rate approached that of Fat Albert at the sorority house

9. TV anouncers did not blather on and on and on and on about brilliant management when baseball really boils down to either hitting the ball or not

10. There was something even remotely interesting about the game other than its utility as a cure for insomnia

Italy 27

France 24

A missed FG by Thierry Henry blows Frances chances to tie late in the 4th qtr.

Sting's halftime performance is mediocre but the commercials for the new ST. Bart

Actually, the mets reference was simply an aside.
I not only rarely watch professional sports in this (or any other) country, I basically couldn't care less about em. I can't understand why allegedly adult males feel the need to identify with their local sports teams, and the behavior of the soccer 'hooligans' is kinda beyond me, even at my (former) drunkest.
Of course, having flown out of pittsburgh shortly after a Steelers game, the yellow/black face paint schemes were kinda amusing....

I'd much rather be out and doing something, than inside watching somebody else do it...

this excludes golf, which I am saving for my 80's, when i may be too decrepit to do anything else.

As to World Cup, it looks like we Americans blew it again - as we have a history of doing.

clinton_69.jpg

ITALY WINS . I actually watched all thoses tortuous minutes. Since I was rooting for Italy it was a GREAT game.

ITALY WINS . I actually watched all thoses tortuous minutes. Since I was rooting for Italy it was a GREAT game.

Congrats to Andynap and all other Italians on the victory.

BTW, what did the Italian player say to the French star to make him lose his cool with a head butt? Whatever it was, it probably was a game winner.

[quoteBTW, what did the Italian player say to the French star to make him lose his cool with a head butt?

[/quote]
Tim- I heard the Italian player said, " I hear there's a Pizza Hut opening in St. Barth".

Nice game compared to many of the other matches, although France did play a better game overall, both teams deserved to win and it was Italy's time this year. It's never true sport or fun when the cup winner is decided in a penalty shoot-out.

Zidane's behaviour was totally insane, no matter what the italian said. That alone was worth Italy to win.

[quoteBTW, what did the Italian player say to the French star to make him lose his cool with a head butt?
Tim- I heard the Italian player said, " I hear there's a Pizza Hut opening in St. Barth".

[/quote]

Eddie,

LOL! "Your mama wears combat boots," probably wouldn't have done it. I do think the Italian player deserves high marks for the back flip after the butt.

There were a lot of "dives" in that game. Some got the referee's attention and some didn't. The ref had to look at the replay of Zidane's hit. He was a laundry list of suspensions following head butts and other dirty plays.

"All the trophies Zinedine Zidane hoisted, all the glory he brought France, all those sparks of magic that flew off his feet game after game, year after year- all of a sudden, it's almost like they never happened.
-Because the most gifted player of his generation, playing his final match on the world stage, will be remembered now for something else - petulance, selfishness, looniness, take your pick.

All because of one moment of unbridled fury.
In the 110th minute of Sunday night's World Cup final, Zidane lost his cool, then lowered his head and butted Italian defender Marco Materazzi full-on in the chest.

Seconds earlier, with the score tied 1-1 in extra time, Materazzi had grabbed a handful of Zidane's jersey just as a French attack on goal passed harmlessly by. Then the defender let go and both players began walking back up the field exchanging words. Without warning, Materazzi fell to the ground like he'd been shot.

"I don't know what Materazzi said to Zidane," French coach Raymond Domenech said.

Great game it was. I watched it to. As with everything, when trying to get a call to go in your favor there is a little "acting" involved. But that act of aggression and his inability to maintain professional composure was truly a sad moment in professional sports. You expect that in the NBA but in soccer?

I agree. Great sportsmanship between the team in helping each other off the pitch and shaking hands and then that. A shame.