Mo Gitmo

Island Visitor

Senior Insider
Not trying to start a firestorm here (I LOATHE politics when I am at the beach - and this is my cyberplage) but I did hear something interesting yesterday in light of our Gitmo discussion.

I was listening to that Bastion Of Right Wing Radio, National Proletariat Radio (aka NPR), and they had an interesting story about the Gitmo detainees.

Of course, they were reporting on the decision by SCOTUS that clarified(?) the legal status of these fellows. They went on to say that many/most of the folks probably will not be charged with any form of war crime.

Had they stopped at that point, our current administration would have been left with souffle sur le visage. However, they went on to report that despite all the european posturing and UN whining about Gitmo, we CAN'T GET ANYONE TO TAKE MOST OF THESE FELLOWS BACK. Apparently, numerous private overtures have been made to no avail. None of the european countries will take them, in many cases their home countries wont take them back and in other cases the men have told us they will be tortured and killed when they return home.

Of course, some will return home as heroes to go on and fight again. That is a given. But I found it ironic that NPR would report that we are essentially stuck with a lot of these fellows because they world criticizes us for holding them but wont take them back.

Good Ole National Proletariat Radio.

Merci comrades.

Can't tell if you're trying to say pro-literate (a good thing, IMHO) or proletariat (working class - obviously no one posting on this board). I'm sure you, IV, would not try to start a firestorm;-)

Can't tell if you're trying to say pro-literate (a good thing, IMHO) or proletariat (working class - obviously no one posting on this board). I'm sure you, IV, would not try to start a firestorm;-)

Merci. Corrections have been made.

Actually, not trying to start a firestorm. I can't vouch for the info That Bastion Of Right Wing Radio was reporting. It did seem interesting though.

I am sometimes accused of being partisan. Well, my basic partisanship is Pro-American. As such, I find it interesting that The World Community criticizes us for holding these guys but wont take them off our hands. I see this as neither a Republican or a Democratic issue. I see it as an American versus The All Talk Crowd issue.

This has been knowledge for some time- there was a report some time ago. But I wonder if it is spin to try and cover their asses- heaven forbid they spin- that since no one will take these people WE should keep them instead without charging them with anything. Cute eh?? Sort of like Big Brother.

This has been knowledge for some time- there was a report some time ago. But I wonder if it is spin to try and cover their asses- heaven forbid they spin- that since no one will take these people WE should keep them instead without charging them with anything. Cute eh?? Sort of like Big Brother.

Actually, it was That Bastion Of Right Wing Radio that was saying this.

The UN and Europe have been very noisy about all this. And this report, as you said, has been out before.

And the total number of denials of this report by the UN and Europe?

In other words, who has come forward offering to take these "political refugees" from us?

Exactemente mon ami.

No one.

And that, mon ami, is not NPR spin, lest you know of a European offer of which I am not aware.

IV- the names of the prisoners haven't been known until last month. And who would want these people after we tainted them. They may as well have the plague.

IV- the names of the prisoners haven't been known until last month. And who would want these people after we tainted them. They may as well have the plague.

What taint? Why would their home countries not be DEMANDING that these fellows be returned? I darn well know that if someone held YOU for five years, I for one should be clamoring for you to be reunited with us.

I'm not sure but I'll bet there will be another "Lost Dog" poster stapled to telephone poles in the Nap neighborhood by Tuesday night.

Hey Dennis, how about some nice barbecued chicken on july 4th?? LOL

[/quote] Hey Dennis, how about some nice barbecued chicken on july 4th?? LOL

[/quote]

LOL...it'd have to be cooked to back to the Stone Age. Repeat after me: Chicken is NOT Sushi!

Feeling much better today...gotta be right for our weekend in Lost Wages.

[/quote]

LOL...it'd have to be cooked to back to the Stone Age. Repeat after me: Chicken is NOT Sushi!

[/quote]

Dennis: I know whereof you speak. Several years ago, I got food poisoning. Tried to manage at home for a couple of days and finally went to the ER where I was promptly sent home. A few hours later, with symptoms that decorum does not permit me to share in this site, I went to the ER where they were about to send me home again. My wife called a partner of mine who thought I looked like Death Warmed Over. Given that he is a pathologist, he should know.

Before they could shove me out the door, my partner called one of the GI docs in town and told him my symptoms. He admitted me then and there over the phone.

The first night in the hospital, on MEGA-antibiotics, I was completely convinced I was going to die. The second night, I prayed to die. The third night, I realized I probably was not going to die and began to accept that "bad news" with some peace.

I firmly believe that had I been sent home from the ER with some pain meds, I would have died.

Long story short: When I eat chicken now, it is only after it has been nuked to such a stage that I can bite it and it crumbles to ash. And anytime I eat anything that "just dont look or taste quite right" I immediately stop.

[/quote]

Dennis: I know whereof you speak. Several years ago, I got food poisoning. Tried to manage at home for a couple of days and finally went to the ER where I was promptly sent home. A few hours later, with symptoms that decorum does not permit me to share in this site, I went to the ER where they were about to send me home again. My wife called a partner of mine who thought I looked like Death Warmed Over. Given that he is a pathologist, he should know.

Before they could shove me out the door, my partner called one of the GI docs in town and told him my symptoms. He admitted me then and there over the phone.

The first night in the hospital, on MEGA-antibiotics, I was completely convinced I was going to die. The second night, I prayed to die. The third night, I realized I probably was not going to die and began to accept that "bad news" with some peace.

I firmly believe that had I been sent home from the ER with some pain meds, I would have died.

Long story short: When I eat chicken now, it is only after it has been nuked to such a stage that I can bite it and it crumbles to ash. And anytime I eat anything that "just dont look or taste quite right" I immediately stop.

[/quote]

YIKES!

I think I got off lucky...my belly's a bit jumpy today but other than that, "all systems are go". Just a day and a half of misery. Oh, and I lost 2 lbs!!!