Ullrich and Basso are out of the Tour de France

D'accord, incroyable!

Here's the way the money now handicaps the race.

Internet Bookmakers' odds for Tour de France
(As of 5:00 p.m. Friday)

Alejandro Valverde (ILL) -7/2
Alexandre Vinokourov (Wur) -7/2
Levi Leipheimer (Ger) -7/1
Floyd Landis (Pho) -7/1
Cadel Evans (Dav) -10/1
Yaroslav Popovych (Dis) -12/1
Paolo Savoldelli (Dis) -20/1
Andreas Kloden (T-M) -20/1
Michael Rasmussen (Rab) -25/1
Denis Menchov (Rab) -25/1
George Hincapie (Dis) -25/1
Iban Mayo (Eus) -25/1
Jose Azevedo (Dis) -25/1
Christophe Moreau (Ag2) -33/1

Re: Ullrich and Basso are out of the Tour de Franc

Sounds about right except I'd raise Hincapie's odds. Possibly Vinokourov should be a clearer pick but his team is an unknown.

I'll bet on one thing; that is that viewership on OLN will be way down this year and not only because His Lanceness isn't there. I think people are disgusted with the continued cloud of doping that seems always to float over the sport.

True. I'm sure the commentary for the first week, when the sprinters rule, will focus on these scandals. But this is the first year in a long time when the field is so wide open. By the end of the second week, when the tour hits the mountains, there should be some interesting calculations taking place. I'll be setting up the TiVo then.

Good gosh, Josh, Vino and his entire team are now out of the TdF as well.

His Lanceness won his libel suit against The London Times. I was very pleased to see some good news in the doping fest for a change.

Josh,

I agree: Hincapie at 25:1 is a good bet, esp now with his second in the prologue as a preview of his form, and the shrewdest DS in the business.

Floyd had a "Delgado Moment" today, showing up late for his start.

Levi at times is tactically challenged, losing the Dauphine last year on the last day, and also losing 5th in the Tour last year on the last day. His DS is also challenged, still pushing the Levi and Georg Toschting (sp) co-team-leader BS.

Dark Horse: Zabriskie -- he is likely to win both long TT's, and there are only 3 mountaintop finishes.

However it turns out, I think we will see a lot of swapping of the yellow jersey, and a good chance of it still being up for grabs in the final TT. IIRC, 5th thru 8th last year (now this year's favorites) were very close.

Don't know how long he'll stay that way, but my man is in yellow right now! Go Georgie, Go!