Verizon is now offering FIOS in my neighborhood. Does anyone have good or bad FIOS experiences to share? How about warnings or words of advice?

KevinS

Senior Insider
FIOS - Verizon FIber Optic Service

Verizon is now offering FIOS in my neighborhood. Does anyone have good or bad FIOS experiences to share? How about warnings or words of advice?

Re: FIOS - Verizon FIber Optic Service

Well, FiOS should be able to supply a much higher data rate service than any competitor (DSL or cable or wireless) because optical fiber has unsurpassed capacity. That bodes well for future services such as 1000 interactive HDTV channels (using IP delivery which allows for cool interactive stuff) and 100 gigabit internet.

Probably, right now, it is just potential since these services don't exist. Until they do, you should compare price and service with whatever you currently have. They are in a good position to offer an atractive bundle (phone, internet, TV, wireless) to build up their market share. I know they dug up my lawn in preparation to compete with the cable company and I'm all for competition.

I have their high speed and can't wait to see what they will do with TV. New Jersey has been wired and Verizon awaits legislation so that they don't have to go to each community for approval.

The users reporting on the AVS forum think it is the best thing going: fastest internet by far, and the most high-def channels, with plenty of bandwidth for the future.

AVS forum Search for posts on FIOS

The only drawback that I can find is that when Verizon installs fiber they remove the copper connection and will not put it back if you have problems. Once you go fiber your house is allegedly stuck with fiber forever.

They'll be here to install next Thursday.

Hmm...that is a drawback. One of the good consequences of the former Bell monopoly on telephone service was that your phones would work even if power were knocked out by storms, overloads, etc. This is because the system has battery backup power in every central office which is delivered over the copper wires. Not sure if they are trying to deliver enough light power over the fiber to allow for phone service in power-off situations.

Another drawback is that Verizon is one of the worst when it comes to monopolistic thinking even though that age is past. I do think their massive fiber-to-the-home investment will pay off but it is not yet time to return to a regulated monopoly where your service choice is take it or leave it.

I think cellphones have made the wired phone obsolete so does it matter about copper wires?

I think cellphones have made the wired phone obsolete so does it matter about copper wires?

The thoughtful writer's point was that of redundancy. Belt and suspenders. BTW, there still a few things that only a wired phone can do. Want to take a guess?

Josh/JEK -

Verizon provides me with a 6-hour onsite battery backup - that's the belt. In my house we have both Verizon and Cingular Wireless cellphones - those are the suspenders.

Copper: Dial-up internet via modem. Valuable commodity for thieves, phone companies can recycle and sell it. Previously regulated so able to be used by other DSL providers by agreement with regulators - competition. Take it out and you, the customer have less choice - good for Verizon.

Six hour battery back-up is thoughtful - wonder if they had to do that. Who maintains it? Still wouldn't have been enough for Katrina nor would your cell phone.

Josh -

I will find out about battery maintenance next week. The order-taker mentioned something about Verizon sending out a reminder in a few years, but I didn't make a note of exactly what they said. I'm guessing the battery will be some type of gelpack.

In the event of a major event I plan to be elsewhere.

Verizon Fios was a 6-hour install, several hours of which were spent waiting for another tech to show up to cut and splice the fibre connection from the street to get it through my brick walls. www.Speakeasy.net/speedtest is showing that my internet speed has jumped from the DSL speed of 743Kb down and 369Kb up to the FIOS speed of 5063Kb down and 1776Kb up. For some things I can see the difference, for others I can't.

Chip -

Verizon can't offer their video service in my town yet - no license. I have a choice of Comcast or RCN for cable, and am currently using Comcast.

Josh -

Maintenance Free battery, 5-year expected life, audio alarm if it starts to fail, and supposedly it 'phones home' to notify Verizon that it is failing. Time will tell.

Sounds good, Kevin. I bet they had to provide the batteries to satisfy regulators who would surely have asked about service reliability. The TV service and other goodies are part of a package being negotiated right now in Congress. Telcos should get a streamlined approval process (cablecos hate this since they had to get licenses from each regional entity) and there will probably be no 'net neutrality' provision (telcos will be able to charge premium rates to service providers for better quality data transport). This has been a decades-long dance and it won't be over very soon.

Just completed my video install of FiOS yesterday and the HD selection/quality is very good. Love the integrated HD DVR.

One of Verizon's fiber 'trunk' lines is literally a block away from my building in NYC...
Can we get fiber to the building?

You know the answer, right?